Passports and Birth Certificates

I had planned on getting my passport for my upcoming cruise Oct16th, but money ran tight this month thanks to gasoline prices and having final payment due that I couldn't. I'd still like to have it for this cruise but won't be able to apply till next week. I DONT want to spend an additional 120.00 (60 both ways) for expedited shipping (sorry not rich!) and it's not that big of a deal if it's not back by the time we sail UNLESS I have to send my birth cert with my application off to the passport processing center......I have my 2 originals, 1 of which was printed 31 yrs ago and looks mighty worn and one I requested 2 years ago before I started cruising. I don't want to be left without a legible BC if the passport doesn't come in time......so does anyone who has recently applied been required to give their BC to the person processing your application to send off to the processing center? OR do they verify you are who you are there and then give it back to you right away???

Thanks

I haven't applied recently, I got my passport in the Spring of 2003. But they did send my birth certificate along with the application to be processed. When I received my passport my birth cerificate was returned with it.

My birth certificate was also the original and severely worn (it had a rip where the crease was when it was folded). The woman that was processing my application wasn't sure if it was acceptable and said I might need to send a new certified birth certificate. They used my old one with no problems, that I'm aware of.

I don't know if things have changed since. Hope that helps.

You're cutting it awfully close. If I were you, I would just not worry about it until after this cruise, unless you are required to have it for this particular cruise. Then you will have to do the expediting, with no choice but to pay the additional fees.

The deadline has now been changed for passport requirements. While it is still the best form of ID for travel and I would not leave the country without mine, it is not absolutely required now. I think they extended the requirement another year or so.

So, you may be able to relax about it now and deal with it after you return, then you can take the time to save up for the expense.

Archived