Bad weather - what to expect

puttersolive

We hit the tail end of the hurricane effect out of Halifax and there were some fun moments at the fore and aft of the ship on the Royal, however I was shocked at how little side to side motion there was given the size of the waves. While doing the UST we could watch the stabilizers work and they were cranking hard but it really made a difference (when we visited the front mooring area it was hold on tight conditions and stay away from where water blasted up the anchor ports - we also had to skip the med center as they were treating quite a few passengers for expulsion issues)

30 years ago cruise ships were a fraction of the size most are today. I remember the sway and list during a storm while on one of those "toy boats" back in 1984.

But in our "modern times" I can recall nothing more that the hard pounding of the hull against the waves in December 2012 on NCL Jade as we sailed overnight through a storm so bad the Captain stationed personnel at every doorway to physically prevent a passenger from attempting to go outside.

I, too, am embarking this Thursday on one of the two four-day cruises on Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale, but I'm not concerned and instead optimistic. Last month on a similar 4-day cruise, we left Port Everglades Thursday afternoon with rain so hard there was almost zero visability. Friday morning and for the duration of the cruise the weather was beautiful: meanwhile South Florida had terrible storms the entire time.

Cozumel weather forecasts showers in the AM. But that doesn't destroy the day: chances are we'll have good weather most of the day.

And if all else fails... take another trip to the bar, buffet... or both.

I prepared my previous comment early this morning, in which I cut & pasted the two graphs from The Weather Channel website.

I've never done that before. And what I find interesting is that those graphics are NOT just pictures, but actual links apparently, to the website because the are updating real-time as TWC updates their story.

Interesting.... but saddening, as it appears the storm is slowing, compared to the 6AM Cone of Uncertainty: early this morning the time bar showed the eye almost to Havana by Sunday whereas now it's not even that far by Monday. Really! It did look much more promising then.

My bright and sunny outlook on what to expect is quickly clouding over....

Bad puns intended.

Batten Down the Hatches! -OR- Grand Turk: Here we come!

We were in hurricane weather on the Pacific coast. The water was very rough. 40 foot swells. Upchuck bags were taped to the railings inside the ship's hallways. We missed a port of call. I ventured outside once for a short minute. It felt like being in the movie "The Perfect Storm"!

We were on the same cruise, Maureen! I was going to comment that we did not know our destination (Boston) until embarkation. We were hoping for parts even further north, as we figured we would not be going to Bermuda. Nor did we know our 4-day cruise would last for 6. Our traveling companion's teenagers were safe and sound in Manhattan with grandma, though they were still concerned. But we actually had a fantastic time on that trip. Took a lot of naps! The tug boats holding the ships next to the pier during the worst of the storm was interesting to witness. We thought Princess did a great job keeping us informed and we finally got to sail into Manhattan (although it was eery sailing past lower Manhattan, which still had no power). It was hard to see the devastation on TV though. Hope you fared ok.

Ironically, we had to get into NYC a day early the year prior (because of airline shut downs) and sail a day late on Celebrity out of New Jersey because of Irene with the same traveling companions to Bermuda! :eek: We were beginning to think our combination for travel was jinxed.

Yes! We too were on that cruise! I was SO thankful that the Captain and Princess took such good care of us. It was only our second cruise (and my sister's first) and it really sold us on Princess. Especially when we heard about the the ship that left NY for Bermuda the same day and tried to outrun the storm-from the news reports and YouTube videos, they did NOT have a fun trip!

It boggled my mind to see passengers on the Caribbean P. who were absolutely apoplectic about being 'safe' harbored in Boston! They preferred to get off the ship and go sleep in an airport that was closed! I know many 'locals' were on board and had legitimate concerns about family and property, but these were people from the mid-west!

That trip back into NewYork Harbor WAS one of the eeriest ever! So quiet and dark!

We are going to try to cruise to Bermuda again this summer-hope to make it this time!

30 years ago cruise ships were a fraction of the size most are today. I remember the sway and list during a storm while on one of those "toy boats" back in 1984.

But in our "modern times" I can recall nothing more that the hard pounding of the hull against the waves in December 2012 on NCL Jade as we sailed overnight through a storm so bad the Captain stationed personnel at every doorway to physically prevent a passenger from attempting to go outside.

I, too, am embarking this Thursday on one of the two four-day cruises on Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale, but I'm not concerned and instead optimistic. Last month on a similar 4-day cruise, we left Port Everglades Thursday afternoon with rain so hard there was almost zero visability. Friday morning and for the duration of the cruise the weather was beautiful: meanwhile South Florida had terrible storms the entire time.

Cozumel weather forecasts showers in the AM. But that doesn't destroy the day: chances are we'll have good weather most of the day.

And if all else fails... take another trip to the bar, buffet... or both.

You are correct about the difference in size and displacement, but in really heavy seas I wonder if it makes a significant difference. Hopefully it does. I must say though, even though as I said, I did not actually get seasick, I was uncomfortable after several days and the worst part was knowing that you would not be on land for several more days and that meant that there was no immediate escape.

We all did make several trips to the bar.

We are leaving on Thurs out of lauderdale for a short 4 day getaway cruise in the caribbean. Tropical storm is headed there to hit florida wed/thurs. I've always had great weather on all my cruises in the spring, this is a first for me to cruise in hurricane season in the caribbean. So, how is this handled, will the captain try and "dodge" the storms? :confused:

I'm here in South Florida and right now sun is shining and doesn't look like rain. I'm about 40 miles North of the port. We expect rain every day; sometimes we get, sometimes we don't. But there is no storm forecast for today or tomorrow.

Have a good cruise and stop worrying.

Hello

We live in Central Florida and the weather forecast per last night was reporting that the disturbance probably would be breaking up over the Yucatan, with very little effect on our state, at least up in the Tampa area.

Also, we were on the Caribbean Princess in September but, were on her 10 years ago, in September, during Hurricane Jeanne week. Most of the week was fantastic, but we "met" her as we were sailing toward our final port of Nassau. We awoke to high swells and some rocking and rolling, green passengers on their first cruise, overflowing pools, and even some staff sickness. The ship turned around by late afternoon to escape back into calmer waters. The Captain tried to make a run for it the following day, a Friday, but Jeanne had sped up and by 5:30 PM, the ports had been closed. Our ship, along with a few others, spent the next two days cruising back and forth down by Cuba-all arriving back in port on the Monday.

So, the point is, the Captain will do what it takes to keep the passengers safe, while still enjoying their cruising experiences. The things "sacrificed" were shore excursions. And, we got more creative meals that included stews and casseroles. LOL.

From what I understand, several ships, including the Caribbean Princess and another that had my friend on board, were diverted West during Gonzales. All had a great time.

Enjoy yourselves!! It will be an adventure!

Lynne

I'm here in South Florida and right now sun is shining and doesn't look like rain. I'm about 40 miles North of the port. We expect rain every day; sometimes we get, sometimes we don't. But there is no storm forecast for today or tomorrow.

Have a good cruise and stop worrying.

4 miles from the port here it's been overcast all day, the sun not peaking out at all.

Forecast is for rain tonight and rain in Fort Lauderdale all day Thursday.

But I'm sure it will be dry and cozy in Horizon Court and at almost all of the bars on the ship.

Here's a tongue-in-cheek suggestion: when ordering, make 'em doubles... so when the boat starts swaying you can just believe it's the strong cocktail causing it!

4 miles from the port here it's been overcast all day, the sun not peaking out at all.

Forecast is for rain tonight and rain in Fort Lauderdale all day Thursday.

But I'm sure it will be dry and cozy in Horizon Court and at almost all of the bars on the ship.

Here's a tongue-in-cheek suggestion: when ordering, make 'em doubles... so when the boat starts swaying you can just believe it's the strong cocktail causing it!

Still have some sun here, but I think you jinxed it. :D