Please help! Carnival cruise formal night!!

Hi!

So I am going on my first cruise on the carnival legend on the 6th of November, I am just wondering if any aussies on here can tell me how formal i should go? I don't want to underdress but i don't want to overdress either!! Pictures would help, if you have any??

Thank you!!

I'm assuming you mean for formal nights? It is pretty relaxed on Carnival ships. We went on the Spirit last year and the formal nights were a mixed bag. Some went all out, some (like us) just went smart casual (I wore trousers and a nice shirt, the mrs wore a nice dress, heels), and others didn't bother at all. I'd say go whatever you feel comfortable wearing.

Edited by johnboi

I second the above, you definitely won't feel over/underdressed as everyone wears different!

I just wore a cocktail dress and heels,most other women were wearing the same, some had slacks and blouses and others were in full length black tie.

You can get away with anything (dressy!) so go with what's comfortable and easy to pack!

On the second formal night I didn't even bother dressing up, I just wore a normal sundress and sandals - many others were more casual on the second one too, I noticed.

Enjoy your cruise!

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi!

So I am going on my first cruise on the carnival legend on the 6th of November, I am just wondering if any aussies on here can tell me how formal i should go? I don't want to underdress but i don't want to overdress either!! Pictures would help, if you have any??

Thank you!!

We usually dress up "Black Tie" for formal nights when we sail on Princess or Celebrity. On our last cruise on Carnival Spirit we were a little more relaxed. However the ladies still wore some nice outfits.

This pic sort of sets the scene:

ry%3D400

cheers

On a Formal night on a Carnival ship operating out of Australia - you should definitely wear shoes!!!!

BUT -- if you were to be asked by a special friend to wear something "formal" or "really special" to a once in a lifetime event that they were putting on, you could get dressed up very nicely. GO ON!! You know that you want to do it - and you WILL be noticed. Just because we are Australians , we don't always have to stay at the level of the lowest common denomination. You can always go camping or down to your local RSL/Golf/Bowls/Footie club when you get back from your cruise :)

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

We like to dress up and on my last cruise on the Spirit, I was one of only a handful who wore dinner suits on Formal Nights. Most men dressed "smart casual", with some not even bothering getting out of their shorts and thongs.

There were a lot of ladies who dressed up though. And looked fantastic!!

On a Formal night on a Carnival ship operating out of Australia - you should definitely wear shoes!!!!

BUT -- if you were to be asked by a special friend to wear something "formal" or "really special" to a once in a lifetime event that they were putting on, you could get dressed up very nicely. GO ON!! You know that you want to do it - and you WILL be noticed. Just because we are Australians , we don't always have to stay at the level of the lowest common denomination. You can always go camping or down to your local RSL/Golf/Bowls/Footie club when you get back from your cruise :)

Barry

Good one, Barry. Quite agree. How do you pick an educated bogan from a normal one? He's the one who remembered to put this thongs on before entering the dining room. There are some out there who think a singlet that has been washed is formal, and unfortunately many of them sail Carnival. A few weeks ago I got caught in a Spirit washroom by a heavily tattooed drunk who demanded that I accept that he drove a BMW and earned more money than me. I was just trying to take a leak but he was obviously offended by me wearing a jacket and in his intoxicated fog took it that my attire was somehow a slur on his. I'm not saying everyone should dress to the hilt but some kind of effort would be good. Boardies and thongs are NOT considered Smart Casual.