Back to the boards, this time for w/Carnival

CanDMan47

I went on my first ever cruise this past June. I went Royal then. I also took the trip with my family: parents, daughter, brother, SIL, and their 3 kids. I got back from that cruise and knew immediately I was going to go again. This time, a group of friends had already started planning a Carnival cruise for Jan 4. And I'm going with them.

I had such great luck with this forum and its members getting answers, that I've decided to keep it up, but I'm bringing my questions to the Carnival side.

I'm no longer a rookie cruiser, at least in my opinion. I have the basics down, and understood, but I do have some questions.

For starters, what should I expect to see, or do, or have to do differently from Royal? Any big differences I should know about? Or are all big cruise lines pretty much run the same way? I'll get more specific if I need to, later.

Any little differences, I might want to know, but don't know to ask?

If it helps, I sailed Navigator of the Seas out of Houston in June. And I'll be on Dream (or Dreams?) out of New Orleans in Jan.

I have some more questions, but here's a good start, and this was also my small and quick reintroduction to the boards.

Thanks in advance for all the help I know I'm going to get from you all. I'm excited to be back on a ship in 74 days!:D and in NOLA in 72 days. (We're going early and spending a couple days ahead of time and an extra day afterwards.)

Welcome.....I have no advice or you, really just an opinion. I am very happy you are trying a different cruise line...regardless of which one it is.

So many people stick to one cruise line and I have never understood why. Too many ships and not enough time to sail them all....lol

You will find that RCCL and Carnival are not that different. You will have a wonderful time. Some will say the food is better on one or the entertainment is better on the other. It is all subjective. Period.

I think you and your friends will have a blast!!!!!!!:):):)

For starters, what should I expect to see, or do, or have to do differently from Royal? Any big differences I should know about? Or are all big cruise lines pretty much run the same way? I'll get more specific if I need to, later.

Any little differences, I might want to know, but don't know to ask?

I haven't been on a Royal ship in many many years but the differences that I've noticed have been small for the most part. For instance, I think the shows on Royal are far and away the better of the two. I don't even watch the shows on Carnival anymore because they've been so disappointing. BUT the food on Carnival impressed me more than that on Royal. We never tried the Steakhouse on Royal but I love it on Carnival. When I was last on a Royal ship, there was no adult comedy. That is one of my favorite parts of the Carnival cruises.

To sum up, I feel as if Carnival is more relaxed and casual than Royal, but cruising with either has been a pleasure for me. I hope you enjoy your next cruise as much as the first! :D

I know that people compare one cruise line to the next. Some stand by a certain line while others venture out and experience more than just 1 or 2. One of things you'll find on Carnival is they no longer allow smoking on balconies and only in designated areas. For me, that is a big plus and we will continue to cruise on Carnival. I've never been on the Dream so I can't tell you what to expect. We have more experience with Carnival and Princess which IMHO are both good cruise lines. I believe you'll have a good time. Carnival will have a more lively crowd if that helps any.