How Much To Rent Underwater Camera On Board?

JustCruiseMe

Hoping someone can help me with this. I don't want to buy another one. Bought one and it broke, no return so just looking to rent for a day or two. Thanks for any help.

I was unaware you could rent on board...interesting!

There is always borrow lenses dot com to rent one...prices seem pretty decent and they offer GoPros if you are interested in that for underwater shots.

The basic GoPro cameras $130 at Best Buy. As cheap as that is to be better to buy one then rent one

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never used any level of GoPro, but I've only heard bad things about their entry level camera. I do hear better things about them as the price goes up, but, just from word of mouth, I'd probably rent one of the onboard ones first. Especially if you're only using a one day rental. The three day, it is a harder decision, but I'd still rent. If I bought something and it was junk, I'd be more unhappy than never having it to start.

EDIT TO ADD: I'm moderately tech savvy, but one thing I've never know about is memory space/storage, etc...On the one day rental from the image, it says it comes with 4GB. Approximately how much HD video time would that be?

Edited by CanDMan47

A GoPro is a cheap entry into underwater video BUT the cost adds up with the accessories. My setup is around $700 total, and that is because I used mine scuba diving and also topside bike/hiking/adventure videos. One of the things people don't realize about GoPro is that there is no screen to see what you are shooting, unless you buy the monitor back. And also there are all types of backs for it. Don't jump in the water with the "vented" back or it will flood. You need to put on the fully sealed back.

I love my little GoPro (I have the GoPro 2, so not the newest one). I use it a lot. However, I have been a videographer for 20+ years, so I am familiar with making videos. Some people buy a GoPro and just turn it on, then swing it around so much their video makes you seasick to watch. There is an on and off button people! (sorry for the rant)

If you think you might use it more than once or twice on your trip, I highly recommend getting a GoPro. I would think of it as a fun new camera. You can remove the memory card (not included, another thing you must buy) and watch your video back on your laptop computer each day. And you need a wall charger (also not included) to quickly charge the battery. I bought on Amazon a spare battery and wall charger, that way I can have one charging and still use the camcorder.

Edited by ABQrobin

Memory cards are waterproof. Unless something was wrong with it.

Hmm I am not sure but I know that gopro said it had a defect which let water in. Maybe they didn't take out the memory card and try it in something else. Thanks for the info though I didn't know that.

salt water can ruin anything, can corrode anything... if salt water got into the camera, then it may have rendered the card unreadable.

It is very very important, when using ANY underwater camera, to make sure the housing is sealed completely. This means checking for hairs or even grains of sand in the seal. Just the slightest gap will cause water to leak in, especially when under water as it is under pressure.

salt water can ruin anything, can corrode anything... if salt water got into the camera, then it may have rendered the card unreadable.

It is very very important, when using ANY underwater camera, to make sure the housing is sealed completely. This means checking for hairs or even grains of sand in the seal. Just the slightest gap will cause water to leak in, especially when under water as it is under pressure.

Not very quickly.

"Water proof: Tested to withstand up to 72 hours in 1m salt or fresh water; IEC 529 IPX7; product must be clean and dry before use."

http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/proof/

I've drowned a camera or two but the cards were always fine. Just rinse and dry and they were good to go.

My parents live in Galveston and had a lot of damage from the rising salt water during Hurricane Ike. My dad had a box of SD cards that were submerged in saltwater. He rinsed them, dried them and tested them - they worked.