Sea Sick?

Brenda33

What is your best remedy for sea sickness? I tried the pills once and THEY made me feel sick. How does the bracelet work and where can u get it? Any other remedies? We also have little children around 3 years old traveling with us. Any suggestions for them?

There are lots of different type "pills"...which one did you take? I take a non-drowsy Bonine chewable about an hour before boarding, and one each night just before going to bed. Works like a charm...no queasiness at all during the cruise.

On earlier cruises, years ago, I tried the patch (I hallucinated!)....and I had only used half, as prescribed by my doctor. I haven't tried the bracelet, but lots of folks swear by ginger tablets.

I read an earlier post about the generic pill for motion sickness. Soooo, off I go to Walmart. Found the non drowsy Dramamine and high tailed over to the pharmasist. Viola!! 100 tabs for less than $ 10.00 Major savings ! But what to do with all the leftovers.... Looks like I'll be booking another cruise!:D

My DS (18) and I have had difficulty with seasickness in the past. However, the dramimine makes us feel ill and terribly sleepy, even the non-drowsy kind. I decided to gamble and bought bonine and ginger gum but decided not to take any unless we felt we were getting sea sick. None of us had even the least bit of a problem. Well, one night, I did feel a little quesy and chewed a piece of ginger gum but I think it was one too many fruity drinks and too much good food. It went away fairly quickly. And, then, I had another fruity drink.:D

I know they say to take the medication BEFORE you get sick, but...how do you KNOW you'll get sick if you DON'T. I never tried the Bonine but the non-drowsy dramamine makes us feel truly awful. The gamble worked for us!

Donna

.......but lots of folks swear by ginger tablets.

I don't usually get sick, but I bought some ginger tabs at Wal-Mart for our last cruise just to be safe. Here is some info I picked up from another thread on the subject:

When ginger is used to prevent motion sickness, two to four grams daily is most effective. Ginger capsules usually contain 500 milligrams, or one-half gram, of ginger powder. To be effective in preventing motion sickness, two capsules should be taken 30 minutes before departure, and then one to two more capsules during transportation, if symptoms occur.

A word of caution on the patch, especially if you cut one in half, don't rub your eyes until you wash your hands after handling them. It will cause them to dilate and you won't even be able to read the menu for a few hours.

John

Too Funny Coolestwife..

I got it from my step-daughter. Last year she went on a missions trip to Africa and had to get the anti-malaria medicine. One of her friends told her that when she took it, it gave her halucinations. My SD was very upset that the one she was prescribed would NOT give her halucinations....she is very strange....:p

DURING MY CRUISE LAST NOV. MY DR. SUGGESTED I GET THE CHILDRENS/INFANTS CHEWABLE GRAVOL (15MG I THINK ) BECAUSE IT IS CHEWABLE IT WILL BO FASTER TO YOUR SYSTEM, BECAUSE F I TAKE ADULT DOSSAGE I GET HIGH, AND THIS LOWER DOSE WORKED VERY WELL. ON OUR FIRST FORMAL NIGHT WE HAD GALE FORCE WINDS AND EVERYONE WAS LEAVING THE DINING ROOM SICK BUT I HAD CHEWED A GRAVOL BEFORE WE WENT DOWN AND I ATE ALL MY DINNER, I WAS THE ONLY ONE AT MY TABLE ABLE TO. SO ON MY NEXT CRUISE YOU KNOW I WILL BE PACKING MY CHILDRENS/INFANTS CHEWABLE GRAVOL. I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU.

CAREN

My DS (18) and I have had difficulty with seasickness in the past. However, the dramimine makes us feel ill and terribly sleepy, even the non-drowsy kind. I decided to gamble and bought bonine and ginger gum but decided not to take any unless we felt we were getting sea sick. None of us had even the least bit of a problem. Well, one night, I did feel a little quesy and chewed a piece of ginger gum but I think it was one too many fruity drinks and too much good food. It went away fairly quickly. And, then, I had another fruity drink.:D

I know they say to take the medication BEFORE you get sick, but...how do you KNOW you'll get sick if you DON'T. I never tried the Bonine but the non-drowsy dramamine makes us feel truly awful. The gamble worked for us!

Donna

I have tried everything and I am the only one in my family that gets sea sick:rolleyes: Well I finally found the "Relief Band" that is operated by a battery and sends a "pulse" to your brain to tell you that you are not feeling ill. It works great and I won't go on a cruise again without it.

I always take the non-drowsy Bonine with me, but haven't yet used it even in 12 foot seas. Although I've never been seasick, I always go prepared. I've heard of seasoned cruisers who never got seasick suddenly becoming sick.

For the children, check with your pediatrician before giving them anything. He/she should be able to recommend something suitable.

My wife and I saw numerous people wearing the wrist bands on our last cruise. I have gotten a pair for my wife for our up coming cruise. She wore them for a road trip and thought that they worked very well, and the best thing is they don't have side effects like the pills and patches. If you are looking to buy them try any local dive shops in your area. We got them at www.leisurepro.com . They normally are $9.95 a pair, but I got an e-mail from them last week saying they were on sale for $5.95.

I have used the bands, and they seemed to work. I was concerned about some of the other medications interacting with alcohol. I am not an expert, but just something to look into if you drink.

ps-the bands seem to have a great effect on hangover prevention also. Like I said, I am no expert, though!

My Relief Band is not the baby blue accupressure bands. It costs about 50-60 dollars. I ordered it on-line thru some "drug store" but the most recent place I have contacted is a store out in California for the gel and battery replacement. their web-site address is www.anglerscenter.com I know that the airline employees wear this too so maybe that is a place to look. Good luck and I wear it because I don't want the side effects of the meds and if I drink I dont want to have to worry about that either. Oh and I know some Obstetricians have these for women who experience uncontrolled nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.

Try triptone. You can get it at CVS or a dive shop. I get sea sick real easy. It is wonderful. Take one before you get on the boat and then follow directions. Once it is in your system it is like a miracle. You do not get drowsie from it either. I have been on a ship in a tropical storm and did not get sick. Check with your pharmacist and or Dr. just to be sure. Good luck.

Hi,

I get sea sick quite easily (and car sick and airline sick and rides at the fair sick ...). On my first cruise, I took Bonanine (sp?) and also tried Gravol. It made me so sleepy that I spent most of the time in the stateroom and didn't even really enjoy the food!

The next year, I took a gamble and bought the cheap pressure point arm bands from a local drugstore. Works like a charm!

J Lo

Haven't tried the pressure bands, but the bonine works like a charm. I start taking it the day we fly and then eveyday afterwards. I did skip the last day on our last cruise and was VERY sorry because it happened to be the day we had rough seas. From now on - every day - no matter what.

The bonine did not make me sleepy or woosy at all.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Taken non-drowsy dramimine and bonine and metclazine (Rx name). Have learned to start the night before the cruise to take it at bedtime and continue on that schedule throughout the trip. Easier to remember when you're getting ready to brush your teeth than when your rushing around on the ship having fun. If it makes you drowsy you'll sleep through the initial effects and wake up the next morning feeling refreshed and the drug will still be in your system...remember most of this stuff stays in your system longer than 24 hours so you'll be covered all day long (adult strength tablets...chewables need to be taken a couple times a day if I remember correctly).

Only been sick 2x and both because I had forgotten to take it before dinner and the seas they were a rockin'. Bring some ginger along just in case as that works amazingly well and recovery time from feeling blah to great is quick.

Archived