Seattle to Seattle and Customs/Immigrations

momtodogs

I'm on a round trip Alaska cruise from Seattle (August 28 on HAL Amsterdam) then back to Seattle.

The only foreign (I'm from the US) port is Victoria for 4 hours on the last evening.

What Customs/Immigration procedures will we go through, leaving Seattle and upon return to Seattle?

If we decide to get off the ship in Victoria for those few hours, what is the procedure there for disembarking and then reboarding.

We filled out the immigration forms online, but essentially, we may not be on any foreign soil (unless the ship counts for that.)

I did search the boards for this scenario, but all I could find was for Seattle/Vancouver combinations.

I must add that when we stopped in Victoria in June, they filed us thru their immigrations and we had to show ID before leaving the gated dock area. This was in addition to scanning your card coming and going on the ship. Remember...for US citizens...Canada IS another country and you WIL be required to bring ID with you off the ship.

Deb

Identification is either passport or driver's license & birth certificate. Some ships put your picture on your shipcard but HAL doesn't. A scanner is used to read your card and security will check your picture id.

You need your id along with the copy of your immigration forms you completed online to get your ship card. You need your ship card to board the ship (and some will even require your picture id) in Seattle.

You need your picture id and shipcard to get back on the ship in ports.

You need your id to disembark in Victoria, BC. (you will go through immigration in Canada immediately after getting off the ship). You will need your ship card and picture id to get back on the ship.

Also, HAL will put your backpacks, purses, purchases through an xray machine when your reboard the Amsterdam.

You need your id when you disembark in Seattle and go through US Customs. You will receive a card to declare what you bought on the ship or in Canada.

Have a great cruise:)

Archived