New Smoking Policies for Cunard Line?

TheCruisingQueen

"wouldn't it make sense for Cunard ships to have a dedicated 24/7 smoking lounge for those who wished to smoke a cigarette - one with proper ventilation, not only on the deck, but rather sheltered from the wind and away from those who might be bothered or troubled by those who smoke cigarettes?

Perhaps such a venue would not only any give rest to those concerned, but also be revenue producing if food and beverage was served. "

Who will wait on this lounge? I once, by mistake, entered a smoking room at an airport. Oh boy, I still remember the "experience"! :eek:

Having said that, wouldn't it make sense for Cunard ships to have a dedicated 24/7 smoking lounge for those who wished to smoke a cigarette - one with proper ventilation, not only on the deck, but rather sheltered from the wind and away from those who might be bothered or troubled by those who smoke cigarettes?

I am slightly phobic about cigarettes and wish they would magically disappear from the earth! However, that's not going to happen so we need to be realistic. I agree that smokers need their own spaces, and that they need indoor spaces because sometimes the weather is too wet or windy to go outside. I would go slightly further than you Salacia and say that we need a room at each end of the deck. For those with walkers whose room is at the opposite end of the ship from the smoking room, it can be a long way to go for that vital early-morning cigarette. If Cunard is serious about making most of the ship smoke-free, then it needs to make it easy for smokers to manage.

I am a smoker who is planing on taking a TA on QM2 next Sept. [not booked yet though]. From what I understood, Churchill's is available to all smokers. I read on here that it was stated "cigar and pipe only" on the Cunard site back in May when Salacia quoted the rules. However, the website no longer says this. It simply states "Smoking is no longer permitted in any public area with the exception of Churchill’s Cigar Lounge, designated areas on the open decks and the upper level of G32 on Queen Mary 2. Pipe and cigar smoking is only permitted in Churchill’s Cigar Lounge and on the permitted open decks spaces."

The above seems to imply that whilst cigars/pipes may only be smoked indoors in Churchill's, not ONLY cigars and pipes can be smoked there. Am a misunderstanding this? Every other ship that I have sailed on allowed cigarettes to be smoked in the indoor cigar lounges so that has always been a welcome retreat to enjoy a smoke and conversation with fellow passengers.

I am a smoker who is planing on taking a TA on QM2 next Sept. [not booked yet though]. From what I understood, Churchill's is available to all smokers. I read on here that it was stated "cigar and pipe only" on the Cunard site back in May when Salacia quoted the rules. However, the website no longer says this. It simply states "Smoking is no longer permitted in any public area with the exception of Churchill’s Cigar Lounge, designated areas on the open decks and the upper level of G32 on Queen Mary 2. Pipe and cigar smoking is only permitted in Churchill’s Cigar Lounge and on the permitted open decks spaces."

The above seems to imply that whilst cigars/pipes may only be smoked indoors in Churchill's, not ONLY cigars and pipes can be smoked there. Am a misunderstanding this? Every other ship that I have sailed on allowed cigarettes to be smoked in the indoor cigar lounges so that has always been a welcome retreat to enjoy a smoke and conversation with fellow passengers.

you are right!

Unfortunately, it's not unusual for conflicting information to be found on various Cunard webpages. For example, this seems to conflict with what you found:

"There are dedicated areas on each ship where you are permitted to smoke*. Smoking is not permitted in any public room (with the exception of Churchill’s Cigar Lounge, which is reserved for cigar and pipe smokers only), inside your cabin or on your cabin balcony

*Due to weather and/or cleaning process, these locations may change from time to time." quoted from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/posmoking1

I think the policy regarding cigarette smoking in Churchill's might vary depending on who is in charge (as Scrapnanna indicated in post #4). Another factor might be if pipe and cigar smokers complain about their lounge being "over-run" with cigarette smokers. (I was told that happened on one TA when the deck was closed for several days due to bad weather, but I have no first-hand experience - maybe others can offer more information.) -S.

What I am taking is that there is a few areas on board that are designated for smokers? The particular ship I am looking at is Queen Victoria.

TheCruisingQueen

Hi CruisingQueen - do not worry. We were on QV in May 2014 in the Baltic and there are smoking areas around the ship. There are always ash trays on the tables where smoking is allowed.

Unfortunately, it's not unusual for conflicting information to be found on various Cunard webpages. For example, this seems to conflict with what you found:

"There are dedicated areas on each ship where you are permitted to smoke*. Smoking is not permitted in any public room (with the exception of Churchill’s Cigar Lounge, which is reserved for cigar and pipe smokers only), inside your cabin or on your cabin balcony

*Due to weather and/or cleaning process, these locations may change from time to time." quoted from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/posmoking1

I think the policy regarding cigarette smoking in Churchill's might vary depending on who is in charge (as Scrapnanna indicated in post #4). Another factor might be if pipe and cigar smokers complain about their lounge being "over-run" with cigarette smokers. (I was told that happened on one TA when the deck was closed for several days due to bad weather, but I have no first-hand experience - maybe others can offer more information.) -S.

Oh my. I clicked on your link and read exactly what you quoted! Two spots on the current Cunard site [my quote was from the FAQ section] say different things. How frustrating!!!

To further elaborate on the bottom part of your post, does the deck being "closed" for bad weather truly mean that they will not make accommodations for cigarette smokers in Churchill's? Does it also mean one is forbidden from going on deck or is it a recommendation. Are the outside areas not sheltered? I would think there must be some area on board to smoke outside without being under direct sun or rain. I sometimes smoke cigars as well [after dinner with some port or whatnot] so would I have to buy from the lounge or do they allow people to smoke their own in there? I know on NCL we could smoke whatever we wanted in the cigar lounge [cigars from the ship, our personal cigars, or cigarettes] without any interference from ship staff. Certainly a more upscale line like Cunard would want to keep all of their passengers happy. Also, is Churchill's open 24/7 or does it close for periods of the day?

Edited by Bostonjetset

Not a recommendation no. The decks are closed for safety reasons.

David.

QM2 September 2014IMG_2349_zps905de7d3.jpg

Thank you both for clarification. :D

Does anyone have any experience regarding the closure of outdoor decks and where the line allows smoking in those cases? Do they REALLY just say "too bad smokers, you cannot go outside due to weather but you cannot smoke anywhere inside the ship unless you smoke cigars/pipes" ? Since we plan on QM2, there is at least G32 [for now!] after 6pm but what if it is during the day? Do they make other arrangements in case of inclement whether that makes the outdoor decks too dangerous? Do they typically close ALL outdoor decks or is it certain ones at a time? How often does this happen? I have been on 6 cruises so far and have never had the outdoor decks completely off-limits on any ship or sailing. On a few trips, the very top deck has been closed during extremely rough seas with high winds but never were we held prisoner inside the ship completely. Sorry if I am asking too many questions; I will be new to Cunard and have been extremely excited about a voyage on QM2. I never thought I would have to worry so much about smoking. I know most lines are much more restricted now than in the past but this seems a bit unreasonable, especially if it is common for them to close off access to the outdoors.

I am sure you could make a very good case for being permitted in Churchill's if all the other places were closed to you. I have faith in Cunard and in the power of smokers! I don't believe that they would simply say 'Sorry, there is nowhere for you to smoke until 6pm.' They know people would then smoke on balconies.

Also, I have heard from other people on this site that generally those in Churchills don't mind having people smoke cigarettes in with them.

When is your cruise? I will be on QM2 on 30 November. I can ask for you.

Thank you both for clarification. :D ... Since we plan on QM2, there is at least G32 [for now!] after 6pm but what if it is during the day? ...
Smokers use G32 during the day when it's officially closed to drinkers, dancers, and aural masochists. My wife smokes occasionally and when she didn't care to trek to G32 or to the aft decks she either used her ecig on our cabin or she went to Churchill's to smoke a mini-cigar (a Cohiba mini from Cuba, bought in Churchill's $22 for a 20 pack). Don't let the smoking rules keep you from enjoying Queen Mary 2.

I am sure you could make a very good case for being permitted in Churchill's if all the other places were closed to you. I have faith in Cunard and in the power of smokers! I don't believe that they would simply say 'Sorry, there is nowhere for you to smoke until 6pm.' They know people would then smoke on balconies.

Also, I have heard from other people on this site that generally those in Churchills don't mind having people smoke cigarettes in with them.

When is your cruise? I will be on QM2 on 30 November. I can ask for you.

Thanks fantasy! You have eased my mind a bit. We have not booked yet but we are considering the westbound TA on Sept 20, 2015.

I am all for following rules and realize that as a smoker, my indoor [and even outdoor] options are limited. However, I do believe there should be some consideration if the weather is so severe as to force them to close the deck access. Maybe I will bring along a pack of the tiny "cigars" that basically look like brown cigarettes [filter and all!] but are sold as cigars in case of emergency HAHA.

Maybe I will bring along a pack of the tiny "cigars" that basically look like brown cigarettes [filter and all!] but are sold as cigars in case of emergency HAHA.

Bostonjetset.......do that, that guarantees you a spot in Churchills in case all else fails. I smoke lights and the little cigars work out just fine. :)

Bostonjetset.......do that, that guarantees you a spot in Churchills in case all else fails. I smoke lights and the little cigars work out just fine. :)

brigittetom - Could you kindly post the brand name of these "light" mini-"cigars" so I can be prepared for emergencies on my Dec. crossing?

Many thanks.

"wouldn't it make sense for Cunard ships to have a dedicated 24/7 smoking lounge for those who wished to smoke a cigarette - one with proper ventilation, not only on the deck, but rather sheltered from the wind and away from those who might be bothered or troubled by those who smoke cigarettes?

Perhaps such a venue would not only any give rest to those concerned, but also be revenue producing if food and beverage was served. "

Who will wait on this lounge? I once, by mistake, entered a smoking room at an airport. Oh boy, I still remember the "experience"! :eek:

I remember entering the smoking lounge in the Paris airport, July 2005. The ventilation system was terrible. The glass (Plexiglas?) walls had not been cleaned for some time. But at least an effort was made to accomodate those who wished to smoke prior to their flight. The smoking lounge was clearly marked as such, so no one could wander in unaware. I also noted that there were many venues for those who wished to drink alcohol, as well as a few venues serving food.

In answer to your question "who will wait on this lounge?" [a smoking lounge on board ships] - clearly it would be voluntary. Perhaps unsurprisingly, there are crew members who smoke. Churchill's seems to have no staffing problems.

It seems to me that state of the art ventilation system in a dedicated smoking lounge might be beneficial to all concerned. But I certainly agree that smoking on board should not be encouraged - but then neither should alcohol consumption, especially when considering the number of accidents and crimes on board ships that are alcohol related. <end of rant> :)

Edited by Salacia

I - but then neither should alcohol consumption, especially when considering the number of accidents and crimes on board ships that are alcohol related. <end of rant> :)

I wonder what that number would be. I don't remember any accidents or crimes related to acohol on any cruise I have done, though I'm sure there are a few (but not many)

I get the impression that the amounts of drink consumed in he bars is much less than when I first set foot on a cruise ship, though likely much more is knocked back in the privacy of cabins now.

David.

Just off QM 2 yesterday. Smoking is permitted in G 32 after 6 pm. If there is an event in the Queens Room in the evening, smoking is not permitted in G 32 until after the event is over which is usually 8 45 pm or so. G 32 is utilized as a staging area for Queens Room events and is off limits to guests. This happened about 5 or 6 times during the 12 night cruise.

G 32 is also not an "inclement weather" venue for smokers. Smoking is only allowed outside deck 7 and 8 aft regardless of poor weather.

Cigar and pipe smoking only in Churchills lounge and that was strictly enforced however cigars and pipes were allowed to be smoked on the outside decks as well

Just off QM 2 yesterday. Smoking is permitted in G 32 after 6 pm. If there is an event in the Queens Room in the evening, smoking is not permitted in G 32 until after the event is over which is usually 8 45 pm or so. G 32 is utilized as a staging area for Queens Room events and is off limits to guests. This happened about 5 or 6 times during the 12 night cruise.

G 32 is also not an "inclement weather" venue for smokers. Smoking is only allowed outside deck 7 and 8 aft regardless of poor weather.

Cigar and pipe smoking only in Churchills lounge and that was strictly enforced however cigars and pipes were allowed to be smoked on the outside decks as well

When you say "inclement weather" I assume you mean poor weather that is not severe enough for deck closure. What happens when the line forbids passengers from going outside due to safety concerns is when the real issues would arise. I don't have experience on the line but I really find it hard to believe [and unreasonable] there would be NO accomodations for smokers if Cunard closed off the decks so people were unable to go outside. Does anyone have experience with this?

Also, can passengers bring their own cigars to Churchills or are they forced to buy them from the ship?

When you say "inclement weather" I assume you mean poor weather that is not severe enough for deck closure. What happens when the line forbids passengers from going outside due to safety concerns is when the real issues would arise. I don't have experience on the line but I really find it hard to believe [and unreasonable] there would be NO accomodations for smokers if Cunard closed off the decks so people were unable to go outside. Does anyone have experience with this? Also, can passengers bring their own cigars to Churchills or are they forced to buy them from the ship?
Hi Bostonjetset

Yes, passengers can bring their own cigars, there is no pressure to buy on board, but you can choose from the cabinet shown in this photo taken on QM2:

QM2 Churchills (1)

I've crossed on QM2 twice in severe winter storms:

&

And on both crossings, despite how rough the seas, the sheltered smoking area on Deck 8 near the Terrace Bar:

QM2 Terrace Pool and Bar Deck 8 (2)

was open. Despite the other outside decks, including the promenades and upper decks, being closed at the time. This area is accessed by stairs:

QM2 D Stairs & Lift Lobby Deck 7 (4)

QM2 Stairs from Deck 7 to Deck 8

QM2 Terrace Pool and Bar Deck 8 (1)

next to the entrance to the Princess Grill restaurant Deck 7 port side aft.

Hope this helps :) .

Edited by pepperrn

... Also, can passengers bring their own cigars to Churchills or are they forced to buy them from the ship?
Of course you may bring your own cigars; but, if you are curious what Churchill's offers, here is the Cigar List.

When you say "inclement weather" I assume you mean poor weather that is not severe enough for deck closure. What happens when the line forbids passengers from going outside due to safety concerns is when the real issues would arise. I don't have experience on the line but I really find it hard to believe [and unreasonable] there would be NO accomodations for smokers if Cunard closed off the decks so people were unable to go outside. Does anyone have experience with this?

Also, can passengers bring their own cigars to Churchills or are they forced to buy them from the ship?

If it's raining or cold and the decks are open you still have to smoke outside. Smokers aboard Cunard ships tend to get a lot of fresh air(in a way) and do suffer for their addiction.

I think the options for smokers have been well highlighted on this thread.

David.

Hi Bostonjetset

Yes, passengers can bring their own cigars, there is no pressure to buy on board, but you can choose from the cabinet shown in this photo taken on QM2:

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/6075506331/in/set-72157627503155752

I've crossed on QM2 twice in severe winter storms:

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/72157632528844494/

&

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/72157639700249314/

And on both crossings, despite how rough the seas, the sheltered smoking area on Deck 8 near the Terrace Bar:

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/6077621007/in/set-72157627503155752

was open. Despite the other outside decks, including the promenades and upper decks, being closed at the time. This area is accessed by stairs:

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/6077597591/in/set-72157627503155752/

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/15004737230/in/set-72157627503155752/

QM2 Terrace Pool and Bar Deck 8 (1)

next to the entrance to the Princess Grill restaurant Deck 7 port side aft.

Hope this helps :) .

THANK YOU PEPPER! This was extremely helpful and exactly what I wanted to know. The outdoor smoking area is sheltered, with seating, and seems to remain open even when other decks are closed. My mind is now at ease. Thanks for the great pics as well!

Of course you may bring your own cigars; but, if you are curious what Churchill's offers, here is the Cigar List.

Thanks for the list! I do like a good Cuban Cohiba now and then and those cannot be bought in the US so I may have to splurge. Glad to hear I can bring my own as well though.