Debit Card at Check in

conandrob240

I haven't sailed on NCL yet, but have sailed using a debit card on CCL and Disney. In my experience, it depends on your bank & how they handle holds with hotels, rental cars and cruise lines. With my bank, holds will come up as pending, but do not deduct from my available balance. My parents bank does deduct from available balance. If you're using a debit card, I think the secret is to make sure you have more than enough to cover holds and also make sure that you're ok with the holds not being taken off for awhile after you disembark.

Never use a debit card unless you are willing to have A LOT of money put on hold for a month. Even NCL tells you not too. See the following. Use cash or pre-pay OBC through NCL.com.

How do I pay for onboard expenses?

For your convenience, all shipboard expenses are charged to your Onboard account. Sign up when you check in, establishing your method of payment with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB Card, Diner's Club. You may also use your debit card however please be advised that we obtain pre-authorization, as we do for all Credit Cards, and some banks hold these funds for up to 30 days. Traveler's checks or cash can also be used as a method of payment to settle your account with an initial deposit paid in advance.

Using your debit or ATM card

• Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio.
  • Please be advised that multiple holds will be placed on your debit card account based on your onboard purchases.
  • After settling your onboard folio, these debit card holds may remain on your account up to 30 days after the cruise ends.
  • To avoid overdraft charges from your bank, please make sure that you have enough available funds in your account during this hold period.
  • Norwegian will not be responsible for overdraft charges resulting from holds placed on Debit Card accounts.

Cash/Traveler's Checks Procedures You can deposit cash or US Traveler's Checks into your onboard account.

A cash deposit may be placed on your account in the following amounts:

7 day cruises - $300/person

Less than 7 days - $150/person

More than 7 days - $450/person

Once you have exceeded the deposited amount, your account will be closed to further charges. You can deposit as much money as often as you'd like throughout the cruise, however, refunds cannot be made until the day of disembarkation for any excess. US Traveler's Checks can be cashed onboard and are the same as cash.

**Personal checks will not be accepted, nor can they be cashed onboard.

I would not suggest using a debit card unless you have lots of extra money in your checking account. The holds can become an issue if your balance is tight.

Want more info?

Do a search here on the term DEBIT.

You have been warned.

I wouldn't suggest it either but a debit card is all my sister has. I don't want to put my cc down for her

Using cash is better and results usually in lot less problems (even though the refund for unused portition might take couple of weeks).

From what I understand ( please correct me if I am wrong), they requires WAY more cash than they'd ever have to put down. $100 pp per day, right?

The suggested amounts were alreary pasted in post #3 in this thread.

Current suggestion for 7-night cruise is $300pp and they do not force anybody putting even that much as long as there is enough funds to cover DSC if that is not prepaid.

From what I understand ( please correct me if I am wrong), they requires WAY more cash than they'd ever have to put down. $100 pp per day, right?

It used to be $100pp per day but they have changed that as you can see from above posts! ;)

Sorry. Out on the water watching BA sail by and not reading carefully. What does "suggested amount" mean? Is $300 pp REQUIRED or not? Will it apply to a 3rd person (4 yr old) or just first two adults?

I highly doubt she'll be able to put up anywhere near $600 cash so we are back to one option- debit card?

Is calling the bank the best way to find out how they'll treat holds?

Cash is what she needs...just take it from her bank account, and put it down on her ship's account! Easy! Most cruise lines don't actually require ANY money down, until you hit about $300 in spending. But, it's just as easy to put $100 onto the account, and they'll let you know if more is needed!

Edited by cb at sea

They don't care how much it is. They recommend $300 for a 7 day cruise. You can give them any amount as long as it covers the DSC. If you get close to zero, they will shut off you card until you put more money in. They want to have DSC covered for sure. As long as she monitors her spending, she could add $50 every day or so. I would not use a debit card. It is not NCL that has an issue with debit cards, it's the bank holds that can take time.

Last year when it was still $100 pp per day. I called NCL about this because at that time all we had was debit cards also.

They told me it was for anyone over 3 years of age. We had 4 people so it would of been $2800. I said I did not have that kind of cash. They said that could keep me from sailing if I did not have the cash or a card to use. But it depends on the person your checking in with if they will enforce it or not. I was nervous to pay all the money for our cruise and then have this keep us from sailing.

So I got smart. I bought $600 OBC fully refundable through NCL.com and then used my Debit Card as a hold card. They never touched the debit card because we had the OBC. Ended up getting a refund of $212 after the cruise. This worked for us. Again, I believe it is also how NCL handles the Debit Cards and refunds. And yes, they held my refund credit for 1 month. I got my check in the mail a month and a half after we sailed.

Did you know that they put all the refunds in one big account and hold them for a month to gain interest? Lets say everyone on board is due a $100 refund and then they hold all that cash for "all" their ships.... imagine the interest they get? It's a business tactic and yes, even the banks will do this same thing. Banks love it at tax refund time. Any business will take our money the instant we buy something but it takes them days or weeks to give it back.... this is exactly why.

$300 a person is very do able. It's way better then the old way. Have her get the cash or maybe you can help her out. Have her give you cash and then use your CC for her. I mean she is your sister right?

Edited by darkprayer

Is that funny? I meant call the bank. I never expect a straight or correct answer from the reps at NCL. Are you saying the bank won't know? Ugh.

Her daily service charges are pre-paid.

She doesn't have any money. They literally live hand to mouth.

Help me understand- if she scapes together $100 or 200 cash total- They are going to allow that alone? No cc or debit card needed at all?

If she had the cash to give me or there was a pattern of paying me back $ owed in the past, I'd put my cc down for her. Unfortunately, she won't have anywhere near $300pp and she has a history of failing to pay back loans. So, my very last resort will be to plunk down my cc for her ( but, of course I'll do it if there is no other way)

Is that funny? I meant call the bank. I never expect a straight or correct answer from the reps at NCL. Are you saying the bank won't know? Ugh.

Her daily service charges are pre-paid.

She doesn't have any money. They literally live hand to mouth.

Help me understand- if she scapes together $100 or 200 cash total- They are going to allow that alone? No cc or debit card needed at all?

Yes, I was referring to the bank.

Anyways, folks have come here saying people did cash and got by with a very small amount. Some even say they will do it onboard and then do not bother. Of course, they will not let her charge anything on her room card, but apparently that is the goal.

Sounds like she is not the type of person to let use you credit card. Keep the accounts separate. It is VERY EASY to spend money on a cruise ship.

I am guessing you are paying for her cruise since she is so broke. God fo you.

My mom paid for her this time. Family trip. I put my cc down for her on a Disney cruise I paid for in Feb and she had the ahem, "nerve" to charge $600 on spa, tours, things for herself. Not doing it again if it can be helped. I am still owed 1/2 of that $ from Feb.

The goal is to not have to put mine or my mom's cc down for her. However, we are them limited to her debit card attached to a bank account with no $ in it or cash but at most, $200-300 total for 3 people.

Edited by conandrob240

Sorry. Out on the water watching BA sail by and not reading carefully. What does "suggested amount" mean? Is $300 pp REQUIRED or not? Will it apply to a 3rd person (4 yr old) or just first two adults?

I highly doubt she'll be able to put up anywhere near $600 cash so we are back to one option- debit card?

NCL is going to put some sort of hold on the debit card so if she has enough money in her account to support the hold, why wouldn't she just take that money with her and use it as a cash deposit?

My mom paid for her this time. Family trip. I put my cc down for her on a Disney cruise I paid for in Feb and she had the ahem, "nerve" to charge $600 on spa, tours, things for herself. Not doing it again if it can be helped. I am still owed 1/2 of that $ from Feb.

The goal is to not have to put mine or my mom's cc down for her. However, we are them limited to her debit card attached to a bank account with no $ in it or cash but at most, $200-300 total for 3 people.

If there is no money in her bank account I don't think using the debit card will be an issue. The hold will likely be declined and she won't be able to use the card. No issue.

Also you and your mom might want to look up "enabler".

It's not that complicated.

She's broke. You said there is a couple hundred bucks in her account.

Any holds can potentially remain days or weeks after the cruise is over.

I bet broke sis is going to need her couple hundred bucks or whatever when she gets back and any hold or unavailable funds is probably going to be a big pain in the ass for someone that broke.

Get cash. Apply cash to her account. They will apply as little or as much cash as you want. Do not link her cards to a credit or debit card. She has no self control.

Once on board, monitor your folio regularly to see that unwanted charges aren't appearing there...ahem....unexpectedly.

Edited by triptolemus

If she had the cash to give me or there was a pattern of paying me back $ owed in the past, I'd put my cc down for her. Unfortunately, she won't have anywhere near $300pp and she has a history of failing to pay back loans. So, my very last resort will be to plunk down my cc for her ( but, of course I'll do it if there is no other way)

First off, the initial hold for a seven day cruise is NOT $300 pp, it is $100 pp for those 3 yo and over, so no worries there. To explain it further we'll need a couple more details. Is she (and whoever she might be financially responsible for) staying in your cabin or is it a separate cabin being referenced for her? The reason this is important is it will give two different explanations of exactly how much cash or available funds she will need to have and how much might be tied up at any given time. There are ways to work it within each of these scenarios to where you will not be financially responsible for any of her charges whatsoever. And, she will not in turn then have hundreds tied up in holds on her debit card either.