best Manhattan parking options?

amp3d

Hi folks, planning on taking a cruise out of Manhattan in the next 2 weeks and I'm debating whether I should make the 8 hour drive or fly. Parking is a bit of a concern as I have never left from this port before, does anyone happen to have any advice?

Thanks for your time!

edit: the search fuction yielded me these results here, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43106617&postcount=1 which was very helpful, so I think I answered my own question :)

If anyone has a better option, feel free to share!

Edited by amp3d

These are great instructions. Where are you driving from? The best thing to do is to drive the previous day and stay in a more reasonably price hotel about an hour out of NYC in the Stamford, CT, Parsipanny, NJ, or Edison, NJ, areas and make the final drive to the port the following day.

If you post your exact date and where you're coming from, we can offer suggestions.

Crossing the George Washington Bridge eastbound

If you end up on the upper bridge, you want to be in the far right lane and take the very first exit at the end of the bridge to get onto the Henry Hudson Parkway and go South to the Manhattan Terminal. If you end up on the lower bridge, you want to be in the far left lane to take the very first exit onto the Henry Hudson Parkway and go South to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

After a bit more thought, it looks like flying Porter from Toronto to Newark costs less than parking for the week, and might be an option. Any of you ha e experience getting form the Newark airport to the cruise Terminal? Shuttles? Cabs?

Your basic choices are:

1) Car Service - about $80-100 including tolls and tip

2). Airport bus to Port Authority bus terminal - $28/pp rt, picks up at each terminal. Cab to the port for $10-12 . Outside street stop (dealing with the inside of the terminal not required).

3). NJTransit train to New York Penn Station. $12.50/pp each way. Cab to the port for $12-15. Requires taking your luggage to the top level in the terminal via elevator or escalator, and taking the free Airtrain to the train station (luggage carts allowed).

We come in from PA the day before usually staying around Parssipiny (sp)...do u know if there is handicap accessible transport from Newark airport?? My hubby uses a power chair...thanks

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

We've driven from PEI once and from northeast of Toronto once. When we drove from PEI (just two of us) we stayed in Stamford and then drove in the next morning and parked at the pier. It was pricy for just two people, but so convenient to have the car right there when we were ready (forced) to go home. When we drove from Ontario we stayed at the Fort Lee Holiday Inn and drove in the next day and parked at the pier. There were four of us that trip, so parking was a little better split four ways. Next spring I think we're travelling with 6 so it will be even more reasonable per person. I was a little concerned about the driving the first time but Sunday morning wasn't so bad traffic wise. :)

Good day to our PEI Neighbor here!

4 Of us will be driving from Halifax,

We will be arriving a day before the cruise so we want to find a nice New York city hotel that offers parking for a week for free.

Any ideas?

I can't justify paying $350 for parking alone, I might as well get a hotel stay with it :P

Hello Halifax! :) I did a lot of googling and didn't have any luck finding a hotel that included parking and a shuttle to the pier. If you're more comfortable with coordinating transportation with a third party you might have more luck (and I see there were some posts about shuttles, trains, etc). We're from a ruralish area (I'm from PEI but moved to Ontario a year ago) and it was less stressful to just drive ourselves. I agree the parking seemed really steep but we were totally happy with the convenience. We carried our own luggage off the ship so we got away early and it was so easy to walk to our car and get out of town. :) It's about 8 hours from here so we were in our own beds that night. When just the two of us drove from PEI we considered finding a hotel somewhere south of the border that offered free parking for the week and an airport shuttle - we had to get a hotel anyway and thought we could probably fly for less than the parking fee at the pier. We didn't plan far enough ahead though. Could have been cost effective for 2, probably not for 4. I'm not really a light traveller either, if I can just take it from the car straight to the pier it's less hassle.

Edited by C-line

Good day to our PEI Neighbor here!

4 Of us will be driving from Halifax,

We will be arriving a day before the cruise so we want to find a nice New York city hotel that offers parking for a week for free.

Any ideas?

I can't justify paying $350 for parking alone, I might as well get a hotel stay with it :P

No hotel in Manhattan has park and cruise deals, nor free parking.

Staten Island and New Jersey do. But you have to get yourself to the pier from those locations. Use the search function here for "Staten Island" and "New Jersey" to see the options we recommend.