Train from Venice to Rome at end of cruise?

Since we have to fly in and out of the same airport ...any info on a train from Venice to Rome. I think we'll be getting off the Grand Princess in Venice..who knows what time..need to take a train to Rome, spend the night and fly out the next day. Any thoughts???

Thanks!

We just did the same thing on Aug. 5th. We decided to fly from Venice to Rome on Air One (part of Lufthansa) and it was not much more than the price of the train. The flight was only one hour and the train was between 41/2 and 5 hours.

One thing to be careful about is the weight limit on flights inside of the European union is lower than the weight limit for USA to Europe flights and if you are like us on a cruise your luggage may weigh more than the european limit (I think it is 50 lbs per piece of luggage) but just check before you abandon the rail option.

Have a great next cruise.

If you train, you are in for a treat IMO--the changing countryside from Venice to Rome is very interesting.

Trains leave frequently throughout the day. Check the schedules at http://www.trenitalia.com Assuming your ship is scheduled to arrive in Venice the day before, you can be confident about purchasing reservations/ticket in advance for the train of your choice (online through the Trenitalia site or via stateside agency, but note, ticket prices are usually markedly higher through an agent). There's a FAQ somewhere on the site, read it before you book, I don't think you can book until 2 or 3 months out, and the cancellation policy is strict, hence my statement re: ship arrival the day before vs. same day ship arrival, in which case you should carefully consider timing of train departure to allow for possible late ship arrival & ample time to disembark/get to train station.

Have a great trip.

Archived