Colourful Coasts Dec

Hi All,

I am going on the Majesty on the colourful coasts itinery in December just a couple of questions if someone could give me the answers I would be most grateful.

Can you walk into Arricife or do you need to get the shuttle bus?

What are the current drink prices like as we only recently booked it haven't booked the AI this time.

Thanks all for all your tips they are always gratefully received.

Hi All,

I am going on the Majesty on the colourful coasts itinery in December just a couple of questions if someone could give me the answers I would be most grateful.

Can you walk into Arricife or do you need to get the shuttle bus?

What are the current drink prices like as we only recently booked it haven't booked the AI this time.

Thanks all for all your tips they are always gratefully received.

The port is new and a little tucked away but I think if you make your way to the main road, it is possible to walk into the town as it's not too far but I wouldn't tackle it. If you haven't been to Lanzarote before though, I would urge you to go further afield than Arrecife. It's not the most interesting of places and not very typical of this very different and we feel, very beautiful island. (If you can say that about soomewhere that is covered by black volcanic ash! But the palm trees, white sugar cube houses, cacti, Manrique wind sculptures, volcano and horse-shoe shaped geria for planting vines create interest and an unusual landscape.)

One of our favourite places to go is the Cesar Manrique Fundacion - only about 3m from the port (you can see the port from the museum) and taxis are a fixed rate - about 10€ each way iirc which is very reasonable especially if you can find another couple to share with.

This was Manrique's home fashioned out of 5 interconnected lava bubbles. What an imagination and how inspired to achieve a stunning home from that! Imagine a circular sitting room with red leather sofa around the edge and a palm tree growing from the centre out through a hole in the top of the lava bubble. There's a pretty garden with pool, BBQ area, even a quirky little loo - it's bizarre but amazing. We've been twice - we couldn't tkae it all in on one go.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pictures+manrique+fundacion&client=firefox-a&hs=zKn&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ScZQVPu0BK-V7AbIvoDQCg&ved=0CCIQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=619

A couple of hours is plenty of time there and to have a coffee too. Taxis will generally come back or they will phone from the fundacion for you.

Costa Teguise is a nice little seaside town - again only about three miles from the fundacion - it's a couple of miles along the coast from the port. The port, Costa Teguise and the fundacion form a triangle. You can catch a local bus from there back to the port although I don't know how close it stops to the port area. I imagine they stop on the main road which runs parallel to the coast but again taxis aren't expensive.

Alternatively the Timanfaya National Park (the volcano) or the Jameos del Agua are fascinating too. So much to see.......... but whatever you choose, I'd definitely recommend doing something other than stay in Arrecife though.

Edited by kruzseeka

It is quite a long way from where the ship docks to Arrecife town. Someone did walk from our ship once, but I believe it took 45 minutes or more :rolleyes:

The first time we went, we started to walk along the main road and then relalized how far it was, so got a taxi in. I think it was about 8 euros each way, but could be more now. If you can get another couple to share a taxi it works out cheaper than the shuttle. Another problem with the shuttle is there are sometimes big queues waiting to come back.

A pint of Stella is £3.70 and a glass of wine about £3.90. If you are on facebook Sheila has put a copy of the drinks menu on. If not I will try to put it on here later.

The port is new and a little tucked away but I think if you make your way to the main road, it is possible to walk into the town as it's not too far but I wouldn't tackle it. If you haven't been to Lanzarote before though, I would urge you to go further afield than Arrecife. It's not the most interesting of places and not very typical of this very different and we feel, very beautiful island. (If you can say that about soomewhere that is covered by black volcanic ash! But the palm trees, white sugar cube houses, cacti, Manrique wind sculptures, volcano and horse-shoe shaped geria for planting vines create interest and an unusual landscape.)

One of our favourite places to go is the Cesar Manrique Fundacion - only about 3m from the port (you can see the port from the museum) and taxis are a fixed rate - about 10€ each way iirc which is very reasonable especially if you can find another couple to share with.

This was Manrique's home fashioned out of 5 interconnected lava bubbles. What an imagination and how inspired to achieve a stunning home from that! Imagine a circular sitting room with red leather sofa around the edge and a palm tree growing from the centre out through a hole in the top of the lava bubble. There's a pretty garden with pool, BBQ area, even a quirky little loo - it's bizarre but amazing. We've been twice - we couldn't tkae it all in on one go.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pictures+manrique+fundacion&client=firefox-a&hs=zKn&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ScZQVPu0BK-V7AbIvoDQCg&ved=0CCIQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=619

A couple of hours is plenty of time there and to have a coffee too. Taxis will generally come back or they will phone from the fundacion for you.

Costa Teguise is a nice little seaside town - again only about three miles from the fundacion - it's a couple of miles along the coast from the port. The port, Costa Teguise and the fundacion form a triangle. You can catch a local bus from there back to the port although I don't know how close it stops to the port area. I imagine they stop on the main road which runs parallel to the coast but again taxis aren't expensive.

Alternatively the Timanfaya National Park (the volcano) or the Jameos del Agua are fascinating too. So much to see.......... but whatever you choose, I'd definitely recommend doing something other than stay in Arrecife though.

Thanks for this info, last time we were there was before my OH passed away and he needed the wheelchair to get about so going anywhere was often difficult so tended to just potter around. I think we may well do a trip to either Timanfaya or Costa Teguise.

Pat

It is quite a long way from where the ship docks to Arrecife town. Someone did walk from our ship once, but I believe it took 45 minutes or more :rolleyes:

The first time we went, we started to walk along the main road and then relalized how far it was, so got a taxi in. I think it was about 8 euros each way, but could be more now. If you can get another couple to share a taxi it works out cheaper than the shuttle. Another problem with the shuttle is there are sometimes big queues waiting to come back.

A pint of Stella is £3.70 and a glass of wine about £3.90. If you are on facebook Sheila has put a copy of the drinks menu on. If not I will try to put it on here later.

HI Linda,

Thanks for the info. I'm not on the facebook group but may well join. I definately won't be walking into town then and from what Kruseeka says there isn't a lot there anyway so think it may be a trip out.

Looking forward to it already

Pat

Hi Pat,

So sorry to hear about your OH.

I agree with Kruzseeka that the trip to Timanfaya is well worth it. We did a trip there on a hotel holiday a few years ago. We also visited Costa Teguise, which was very nice. We haven't visited the Cesar Manrique Fundacion yet, but it is on our bucket list :)

When we visited Arrecife from the hotel we were not very impressed, expecially as it was a Sunday and nearly everything was closed. However on visiting from cruises we changed our mind. From the place where the taxi/shuttle drops you off there is a very nice walk round this lake

bj7ayp.jpg

Also if you walk through the town you will find a nice beach

i1bmsx.jpg

Whatever you do, I hope you have a lovely cruise :)

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA