Kid traveling with passport

dalwhitt

My 8-year-old grandson's passport arrived in the mail yesterday. I am traveling on Sapphire Princess with a group of 18 people Nov. 5-12. My grandson will be in the cabin with my wife and I. His mother will be in a cabin with her brother.

My question is: Since my grandson has the same last name as we do, is in our cabin and has the same address, how will Princess know that we aren't his parents and require us to provide permission from his absentee father? With the passport we won't need his birth certificate. I noticed that his passport is just like ours and his parents are not listed on it.

My 8-year-old grandson's passport arrived in the mail yesterday. I am traveling on Sapphire Princess with a group of 18 people Nov. 5-12. My grandson will be in the cabin with my wife and I. His mother will be in a cabin with her brother.

My question is: Since my grandson has the same last name as we do, is in our cabin and has the same address, how will Princess know that we aren't his parents and require us to provide permission from his absentee father? With the passport we won't need his birth certificate. I noticed that his passport is just like ours and his parents are not listed on it.

That depends on why the father is an absentee. If mom and dad are separated or divorced and dad has some custody rights, then mom needs the letter. Actually, Princess doesn't care. It's border authorities who ask. Airlines are supposed to, but usually don't.

Of course it's always possible to dupe the authorities, but it's still illegal. A permission letter is a simple document. If it's legally required, why not just get one?

Come to think of it, even if mom and dad are happily married and living together, mom may still need a permission letter to take an offspring out of country if dad isn't accompanying them. I don't know the answer to that.

dalwhitt,

I also recommend you get the required documentation for one parent traveling alone with a child. The following comes from the Princess cruiseline passage contract:

5. AGE REQUIREMENTS; DRINKING AGE; GAMING AGE; ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.

The minimum passenger age is 6 months on Alaska, Canada/New England, Caribbean, Europe, Mexico and Transcanal cruises, and 12 months on all other cruises. Passengers under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by a Passenger over the age of 21. In addition to proof of citizenship, regardless of the relationship of the adult traveling companion, all children must have a notarized letter(s) of consent to travel signed by the non traveling parent(s) or legal guardian(s) if both parents or legal guardians are not traveling with the child. This written consent must be presented at embarkation and accompany the child during his or her cruise. Children accompanied by only one parent must present a notarized letter of consent to travel signed by the other parent, unless sole legal custody has been granted. In the case of divorce, adoption or other circumstances, the parent or legal guardian is required to present proof of sole legal custody of the child. The Passengers may be refused boarding if they are unable to produce documentation that the child may travel with the adults who are present.

Hope this helps.

The last two summers, my daughter and I cruised alone in the Med. The notarized letter of consent from Dad was one of the first things Princess asked for. The airlines never asked.

Good for Princess!:) I was obviously wrong when I stated "Princess doesn't care" because of my experiences with other cruise lines.

Clarification: My daughter was 16 and 17 at the time.

Neext week, she is flying to Italy alone at 17. We had a letter from both of us notarized for the airlines just in case. Good thing our attorney is also our friend...LOL...

Starprincess, YES! Assuming your daughter is a minor, and you and her father both have partial custody, she should have both parent's permission to leave the country. Make sure it is a notarized letter. You can do one letter with both parent's signatures if you are on good enough terms with your Wasband.

IF you have sole legal custody, she only needs the notarized letter from you with a copy of the court order.

In this particular case you could most likely get away with it, allthough it is still not legal. If one of the Princess employees questions your grandson you could be in for it. Better to have signed letter from dad, or be prepared to flat out lie when asked to sign the form.

Starprincess - the notarized letters from you and your daughter's father should also designate her friend's mother as her legal guardian for the duration of the cruise. In addition, the letters should state that this guardian has the permission from both of you to seek medical treatment if necessary. And - you really need to purchase trip insurance for your daughter. All of these things should have been explained to you/daughter's friend's mother at the time of booking. This is only if your daughter WILL NOT BE 18 at the time of the cruise. Actually, regardless of your daughter's age at the time of the cruise, you really should get trip insurance for her. Your local health/medical cards are not accepted on the ship, or in a foreign port.

That depends on why the father is an absentee. If mom and dad are separated or divorced and dad has some custody rights, then mom needs the letter. Actually, Princess doesn't care. It's border authorities who ask. Airlines are supposed to, but usually don't.

Of course it's always possible to dupe the authorities, but it's still illegal. A permission letter is a simple document. If it's legally required, why not just get one?

Come to think of it, even if mom and dad are happily married and living together, mom may still need a permission letter to take an offspring out of country if dad isn't accompanying them. I don't know the answer to that.

The father is nowhere in the picture. We don't know where he is ... and neither does TWO friend of the court systems (or so they say). We were able to get the passport by my daughter filling out a document (under penalty of perjury) explaining the situation. They understood perfectly.

This may all be a moot point soon. My daughter finally got a court date to get sole custody. It took months to get to this point. Last we knew the father was still in Michigan, while we live in Connecticut. The court here told us that we would have to put ads in Michigan newspapers, get an attorney, and also pay marshals to serve papers on his last known address. The fact that the Oakland County (MI) Friend of the Court has been unable to locate him for the last 8 years didn't really matter to them. The fact that the friend of the court HERE has been unable to reach him didn't matter. And the fact that he has never paid a dime in child support didn't really matter either.

Last time my daughter saw him two years ago, she gave him our address (daugher lives with us), phone number and her cell phone number. He has never once written or called.

Hopefully the judge is smarter than the other folks working in this court system.

Just in case, hang on to that document your daughter used to obtain the passport. With luck, the sole custody will be resolved and you won't need it. I have two other friends in nearly the same situation; having to get passports and unable to find father to get permission. And the courts seem to believe they have to take the attitude that Mom just hasn't really tried to find the guy....or is trying to pull a fast one to get sole custody. Good luck and hang in there.

Things have changed so much...in 2001 I took my 14 year old son to Europe

without Dad then I only needed a note stating it was ok by him (no one asked to see it) last year we went as a couple with our middle son..no problem...next year I will be going will child #3 no dad and now I need a notarized letter...what a hassel..............

Just a bit more information: My wife and I have legal limited guardianship of our grandson. We did this because we knew early on that the father would be an absentee "parent." We renew it every 12 months through the court. When our daughter isn't around we can legally be responsible for him ... including seeking medical help. I know that doesn't help with this custody issue, but just wanted to add it for the record.

When traveling internationally it is always best to have required documentation. Don't just wing it and hope you can squeek by or depend on the kindness of strangers etc. In the event of a problem not having proper documentation with all ducks in a row can be a huge nightmare.

There are thousands of childrens names on abduction or runaway lists which the different borders are supposed to utilize. With more laws the governments are getting stricter and stricter. God forbid your childs name or picture could resemble someone on that list. Its been known to happen. Having all your documentation squeeky clean and in order helps to avert problems.

Don't risk it...suppose you get caught lying to immigration?? Think of all the bad possibilities for you and the child...

Princess does ask, when you board, to see the documentation from the absentee parent, make sure it is notarized. And consider carrying it ashore, along with your passports in foreign countries. Ironically Canada is much tougher on this restriction than Mexico in our experience and you may be asked to provide this documentation when you leave the ship, or even returning to it. Both our border countries take this stuff very seriously, as parents or grandparents have been known to try to steal children in a custody case and flee there (not your situation, I know, but that's why).

I don't know if neither parent is travelling, be sure you check before you go--both Princess and the countries they will be stopping in.

Happy Sailing!!

I have taken my 10 y o grandson on 4 cruises so far and in each case, I got a notarized letter from each of his parents (they're divorced) giving permission for him to travel with me. I also put in that same letter permission for me to seek and make medical decisions in case of accident or illness. All this was in addition to the regular paperwork Princess sends.

I wouldn't go messing around with lying to immigration-it's just too risky and jail can't be much fun.

I am in MIchigan. I would be happy to hunt him down and whack him over the head with a heavy object for you.

Seriously this is not fun and happens a lot. One of my dear friends cannot travel outside of the country because of a father that took off and the courts cannot find (He is in Pakistan). She was told the courts can provide a letter that will do in a situation like this. I would ask the Friend of the Court what they can do for you as far as a legal document. I strongly suspect a judge could issue a paper that would be legal and allow you to travel without hassle. It would be horrific if the father decided to rear his head during the cruise and claim you kidnapped the child. It could mean the loss of your grandchild and while this is unlikely it is not outside the realm of possibility.

It would cover your bases and be a better example to your precious grandshild than lying.

I am sorry this man left you in this mess like this. Most men are wonderful and responsible parents, as are most women. The ones that are not, however. Whack with a heavy object or three weeks confinement with Judge Judy yelling at them. Ought to scare anyone.

Starprincess, I like that word too. Friend of mine coined it years ago when her long-term marriage ended suddenly; she though the word "ex" did not do justice to the number of years that they actually had been happily married and made a nice family before it ended. Was nicer for the kids, too.

Well, the court wasn't much help again. The judge put if off until next month, claiming that even thoogh the documents were sent to the last known address for the father, there was no response (surprise) and that wasn't good enough. Now we have to figure out another way to reach him, even though now three courts have been unable to do so. This is ridiculous. What ever happened to "best interest of the child?"

This is ridiculous. What ever happened to "best interest of the child?"

I agree with you... absolutely terrible that the kids are the ones who suffer (in more ways than one) when one of the parents is a jerk!

My DH and I took my niece on a Disney cruise... she has the same last name as us, so they didn't even question us at all.

However, if they did ask, I had a notarized letter from my niece's mom (my SIL)... I never even considered getting a letter from the dad, considering he is not in the picture AT ALL!

I'm really glad that they didn't ask!!

In your grandson's case... if you have limited legal guardianship... and he has a passport, I think you should not have any problems taking him on the cruise! I'd be sure to take the guardianship papers with you, just in case they ask anything.

OK, first I was just bothered. Now I'm getting really upset. This court in New Britain, CT is really incompetent. I'm tempted to call the court administrator and find out what is going on.

To make a long story short, my daughter gets a different story every time she's forced to go there.

As you know, the judge on Monday pushed off her hearing until Oct. 3 so that more effort can be made to reach my grandson's father, who doesn't want to be found, and in fact hasn't been found by three different courts.

When she went to court today to return the two forms that the judge said she had to complete, the clerk told her there were other forms that had to be filed out. When my daughter said this is all the judge told her to fill out, she was rudely told that she should have known that there were more forms.

Huh?

Then this same mental midget told my daughter that she had a court date for next Monday, and even though my daughter disputed this the woman kept insisting that it was accurate. Finally another woman came over, read the order and no ... she does NOT have a court date next Monday.

She was then told that she has to put a public notice ad in the deadbeat dad's local newspaper (in Detroit) for 1-2 weeks. However, she can't do this herself. We have to hire a marshal to do it for us. So in addition to the ad, which will cost a minimum $100, she has to pay a marshal about $200 to do so.

Adding to her woes is that the marshal told my daughter that there were OTHER papers that the court should have told her needed to be filled out and if she doesn't do that then the next hearing (Oct. 3) is also likely to be postponed.

All she's asked is that someone give her real direction as to what to do here. She's done every single thing they've told her to do and it is never enough.

No one seems to care that the last time my daughter saw the dirtbag dad he roughed her up and threatened to kill her while my grandson looked on.

This guy hasn't paid a dime in child support, won't give up an address, his mother won't give up his address ... yet the court wants to protect his rights as a father. He gave those up a long time ago, but this court and seemingly everyone who works there is too dumb to see that.

Now I'm really steamed. But what's a grandfather to do?

The only alternative is for her to spend thousands of dollars that she doesn't have (she's disabled) to get an attorney.

Archived