Re: Ebola and screening with MSC

puzzums

Does anyone know if MSC Divina is doing any special screening for Ebola? I personally have no concerns that I would contract such a disease on a cruise ship out of Miami, but am wondering if MSC has caught the Fear-bola virus and is being over the top in their reaction. I sail in just over a week's time and there are a lot of colds going around my office. I would hate to be refused boarding because I caught the common cold but officials don't want to risk it being anything else and so turn me away! Silly question, I know, but you never know.

Google reveals:

http://www.cruise.co.uk/news/potential-ebola-victims-identified-on-cruise-ship/

MSC

MSC Cruises always puts the safety and well being of guests and crew first. Therefore, as part of an industry-wide response, we are taking all necessary steps to ensure neither can be compromised.

MSC Cruises is aware of the notice issued by the US and European Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC & ECDC) that non-essential travel to three West African countries most affected by the Ebola virus disease is to be avoided, and is responding accordingly.

Specifically, MSC Cruises is:

Screening all staff and crew

All staff and crew will undergo screening and questioning to ascertain whether they have been to any of the three affected countries within the last 21 days. If they have, they will be unable to embark.

Screening all guests

All embarking guests will undergo screening and be required to answer a questionnaire to ascertain whether they have been to any of the three affected countries within the last 21 days. If they have, they will be unable to embark.

Preparing staff and crew

Clinical guidance on Ebola from the WHO is being provided to our shipboard medical teams, to ensure they remain alert and responsive.

MSC Cruises continues to monitor the situation closely and is working closely with the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), which represents the world’s leading cruise lines, to remain constantly apprised of any new guidance issued by relevant world bodies.

Seems pretty much like the typical flu-outbreak response.

I do not see anything on the actual MSC USA site, but it could just be well hidden.

When we got off the Divina this morning they had FLIR cameras set up at the top of the escalator befor you board the ship. These cameras can detect body temp, I'm sure they weren't looking for the FLU.

Edited by skyking

When we got off the Divina this morning they had FLIR cameras set up at the top of the escalator befor you board the ship. These cameras can detect body temp, I'm sure they weren't looking for the FLU.

MSC has been using the FLIR cameras long before the ebola scare. I had read on MSC's website that they use thermal imaging cameras for all guests embarking the ship,,,just can't find the link to the info again.....:mad:

MSC has been using the FLIR cameras long before the ebola scare. I had read on MSC's website that they use thermal imaging cameras for all guests embarking the ship,,,just can't find the link to the info again.....:mad:

I guess I just didn't notice them when we boarded the week before, just as we got off and stood in a longer line:)

• 3 weeks later...

On the form you fill out on the dock when you register regarding your recent health issues, they added a part asking you about recent travel to West Africa.

I would assume all ships will follow suit.

I had a bone scan at a hospital a few weeks ago and when checking in the lady said...I am really embarrassed to ask you this but we now require to know if you have recently been in West Africa.

The reason I was so surprised is that we live in California !