Negative Reviews for Elation

bradboy

Goodness! I booked the Elation for Carnival's Halloween deal. Its a great price but after reading the horrible reviews on this ship, maybe I should've just saved my $$

Trying to stay positive. Hopefully we'll enjoy at least the islands ~ and it beats staying at home in the middle of winter!

I was a little worried too after hearing that only got "cosmetic" upgrades with its last dry dock. But all things considered, it is still a cruise ship. It's not as big as the only other ship I've been on (Conquest), but hey, like Cruiser said, it's still a cruise!

Besides, I've looked at a lot of pictures of the Elation over the past week (since booking my cruise) and I think it looks pretty good. I guess it all comes down to your expectations. It's a little bit older and smaller than many newer ships in the fleet, but I'd much rather be on a cruise ship in the Caribbean than at home or work, especially when I feel like I got a good deal on the trip.

While a 70,000 ton cruise ship may be "relatively" small when compared to a 100,000 ton ship, a 70,000 ton ship is still quite large. Elation is the size of QE2, and QE2 is no small ship! Elation is over 50% larger than Titanic.

Also, mostly ignore bad reviews. In some cases there may be valid complaints that are just flukes in service and food (it happens), and in some cases they are due to unrealistic expectations.

Do take a power strip with you!! There's only 1 'normal' electrical outlet in the room. Also, there isn't a blow-dryer, as there is on many ships. Another hint I've seen elsewhere is to take febreeze or air freshener. I'm taking this time is a portable fan as our room was warmer than I prefer and you can't really change the temp (apparently, even with the new digital thermostat they added in cabins during dry-dock). And keep your curtains closed during the day, too. We don't spend much time in our room...afterall, we're on a cruise!!

And I agree with the above posters! Remember, some folks can be unhappy and fuss about anything!!

Edited by CruiserFromTheRock

Goodness! I booked the Elation for Carnival's Halloween deal. Its a great price but after reading the horrible reviews on this ship, maybe I should've just saved my $$

I've sailed on the Elation a few times with the last time being 2013. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles like the newer, larger ships and the cabins I've stayed in have seen better days. Those are the only problems I had with Elation. I think it's a beautiful ship and I like that it's smaller and not so crowded. I took advantage of the sale and booked another cruise on the Elation and while I was at booked one on the Dream. :D

Thanks everyone! Were sailing on the Breeze 8 day in Jan then to the Elation in Feb.....the key to remember is just that......its a cruise! I really booked it so we can take an excursion to the Ruins for our 10 yr old. We have sailed the Sensation before and had a wonderful time. I guess the pool and NO Waterworks kinda freaked me out.

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone! Were sailing on the Breeze 8 day in Jan then to the Elation in Feb.....the key to remember is just that......its a cruise! I really booked it so we can take an excursion to the Ruins for our 10 yr old. We have sailed the Sensation before and had a wonderful time. I guess the pool and NO Waterworks kinda freaked me out.

Thanks again!

While a 70,000 ton cruise ship may be "relatively" small when compared to a 100,000 ton ship, a 70,000 ton ship is still quite large. Elation is the size of QE2, and QE2 is no small ship! Elation is over 50% larger than Titanic.

Also, mostly ignore bad reviews. In some cases there may be valid complaints that are just flukes in service and food (it happens), and in some cases they are due to unrealistic expectations.

Agreed. Thanks for putting things into perspective. None of these ships are small. Just not as large as others.

Go and enjoy your cruise OP!

I wish they would have the digital thermometers on the Inspiration and Imagination those cabins are too cold

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

Sent from my iPod

My cabin was freezing on Sensation this week. I adjusted the little blue dial on the ceiling thingy that adjusted the air flow into the cabin. Still cool, but okay.

I learned a long time ago that for every one unsatisfactory review there are dozens of good reviews that never get written.

Go on your cruise and make up your own mind. You might just surprise yourself.

Never get written, isn't that the truth. I'm still trying to get a review started for my little ship Sensation. Got off yesterday. It was all positive (unless I want to complain how cold it was).

Trying to stay positive. Hopefully we'll enjoy at least the islands ~ and it beats staying at home in the middle of winter!

My family cruised on the Elation right after dry dock (October 13th). I did a review with no pictures. While we felt the Elation lacked in several areas (compared only to Fascination), we had a wonderful time. Cozumel was amazing and we already want to go back there.

That being said, it's what you make of it. We'll never forget watching the "flying fish" leap out as the ship cut through water that looked like glass, the first time ever snorkeling, inlaws teaching us how to play dominos and so much more!

Negative, positive, or in between - any day at sea is always better then a day at the office! Have a memorable fun time!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app

Don't worry!

Elation was my first CCL cruise in Jan. '13 and I loved it.

I thought that if Elation was a small, old ship that I would love any of the ships and.... I do!

Since then, I've been on 3 more and am heading out on Elation again this month - I can't wait!

Funny thing, after we had been home I saw a review for Elation with a ton of pics and, seriously, neither one of us had seen some of the places in the pics.

Like, I had no idea that there was another (small) pool, whirlpool, kiddie pool, bar, and a lot of space to lounge on Veranda (11) Deck.

Here are 2 great, imo, photo reviews of Elation - I'm getting even more excited just looking at these again! :D

Enjoy!!!

Feb. 4-9 2013 Elation Photo Review

April 15-20 2013 Elation Photo Review

We just got off this ship Saturday and I didn't expect much from it either.

We loved this ship!! I did see some of the issues mentioned in other posts, but, honestly... that's just being nitpicky. We had a Junior Suite, which may have helped my opinion, but certainly the other staterooms couldn't be terrible. And the thermostat worked fine.

I just submitted a positive review to CC, so hopefully that will help others who aren't so sure :)

I personally love the smaller ships. Their layouts are great. I am satisfied with chilling out during the day and enjoying the nightlife after dinner. When people are unhappy they tend to be more vocal about it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

I wish they would have the digital thermometers on the Inspiration and Imagination those cabins are too cold

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

Sent from my iPod

My cabin was freezing on Sensation this week. I adjusted the little blue dial on the ceiling thingy that adjusted the air flow into the cabin. Still cool, but okay.

Yes, on Fantasy class ships, the ventilation control is in the ceiling vent. You can have anything from a tornado to dead still in the cabin, if you choose.

We have a cruise booked on the Dream the week of the 20th Sept 2015.

We planned to fly in from the UK and stay in New Orleans for a week before our cruise.

Turned out, the 5 day cruise on the Elation on the 14th will actually cost us LESS than staying in the city for a week!

With car hire, hotel, decent food beyond McDonalds... that doesn't even include entertainment and stuff to do around the city...

even if its an older smaller ship we figure we get a cruise out of the deal. Carnival food was good to great on our last cruise on the Conquest so i dont expect it to be McDonalds variety lol.. and we get free entertainment for the week.

So we'll get a hotel the night before and the night after then head to the Dream for another 7 day cruise we originally planned.

We have a cruise booked on the Dream the week of the 20th Sept 2015.

We planned to fly in from the UK and stay in New Orleans for a week before our cruise.

Turned out, the 5 day cruise on the Elation on the 14th will actually cost us LESS than staying in the city for a week!

With car hire, hotel, decent food beyond McDonalds... that doesn't even include entertainment and stuff to do around the city...

even if its an older smaller ship we figure we get a cruise out of the deal. Carnival food was good to great on our last cruise on the Conquest so i dont expect it to be McDonalds variety lol.. and we get free entertainment for the week.

So we'll get a hotel the night before and the night after then head to the Dream for another 7 day cruise we originally planned.

Sounds like a win to me. Enjoy!

We sail on the Elation in Dec with friends we met on our last cruise. They love the Elation so much they have sailed her 5 or 6 times. We were just off the Sensation and looking at the Elation it seems they are similar in layout. To each his own.