Thinking about the Sun and unlimited dining plan

RIvacationgirl

Hello fellow NCL cruisers.

We have just completed our final payment today for our upcoming Feb. cruise on the Sun. I am thinking about the unlimited dining package. We tend to eat at the specialty restaurants 2-3 times each cruise. Any negatives or positives you might want to share?

Thank you!

UDP is great if you are planning to eat in speciality restaurants every night (because you need to buy the package for the entire duration of the cruise), otherwise you should calculate very carefully which specialities and how many times you'd be going to and compare that to the UDP price.

We too eat in speciality restaurant couple times a week on a cruise, but we are also quite happy with complimentary food options and eat at least couple of times in MDRs/Blue Lagoon/O'Sheehan's and therefore wouldn't pay for UDP because it wouldn't be worth it - we prefer to just wing it and pay for the couple of speciality dinners as we go.

Although I have to admit, when we had UDP as a booking perk on Getaway this April, it was nice to not have to worry about the costs. And even though we didn't end up doing it, we liked the idea of being able to for example eat first two courses in Cagney's and then after a while of strolling around going to dessert in La Cucina.

P.S. It's Ultimate, not Unlimited. :) (Even though with dining package the difference doesn't matter, thinking that the beverage package would be unlimited is worse.)

I too am looking for opinions on the UDP. We prefer to eat in the specialty restaurants a little more intimate for us. I was trying to calculate to see if it would make sense although I am not 100% sure on what is and what is not covered. Is it all the restaurants and all the offerings? Certain menu items? Do you still pay extra for the extra entrée if you wanted to add a fish or steak? Does it really make sense if both are platinum and receive 2 certificates for the LeBistro dining? I did read the terms an the NCL site but still not sure. It also looks like you can book this once onboard the ship. Does the price change? For anyone who has done this please give your opinions. Thank you in advance. Also, if anyone knows if the pricing changes once onboard or does it stay the same.

Edited by NJLVW

I don't know if this is true on all NCL cruises, but, we sail on the sun next week, and i checked with our NCL cruise consultant cause i did a mock booking of our cruise for Nov 9, and they are offering a 3 night specialty dining offer, that wasn't avail when we booked our cruise, so, i emailed her and bam .. we have a 3 night dining package ...which is nice :)

This only come avail like 3 days ago, and she didn't act like it was a big deal or anything, she simply responded, i added it your package ..

So, total things we have got added for free was 1 bottle wine and birthday cake for wife (she will have birthday in Honduras ) , we got a room upgrade when prices dropped, and now a 3 free dining package :D

Go to NCL website and just do a mock booking for like our cruise on the 9th out of Tampa, this may be avail when you cruise as well .. i would at least wait till then to purchase dining package ...;)

Edited by griz400

I don't know if this is true on all NCL cruises, but, we sail on the sun next week, and i checked with our NCL cruise consultant cause i did a mock booking of our cruise for Nov 9, and they are offering a 3 night specialty dining offer

That is not comparable to UDP, it's three specific speciality restaurants that is included in the current promo (available until 11/9/14).

"3+ Day Cruises: Automatically get free dinners for two at our Steakhouse, Italian, and French restaurants (a $140 value)."

http://www.ncl.com/promo/freestyle-choice

That is not comparable to UDP, it's three specific speciality restaurants that is included in the current promo (available until 11/9/14).

"3+ Day Cruises: Automatically get free dinners for two at our Steakhouse, Italian, and French restaurants (a $140 value)."

http://www.ncl.com/promo/freestyle-choice

click on that link and go to the bottom right (view sailings ) and click on that, it shows its good for 268 sailings and their sailing may be included, they sated that they usually eat 2 or 3 nights, if they get this free, its a no brainer .. if they want another 2 nights or so, just purchase that additionally ... there may be a time limit to take advantage of this deal, i got it free ... :)

Edited by griz400

click on that link and go to the bottom right (view sailings ) and click on that, it shows its good for 268 sailings and their sailing may be included, they sated that they usually eat 2 or 3 nights, if they get this free, its a no brainer .. if they want another 2 nights or so, just purchase that additionally ... there may be a time limit to take advantage of this deal, i got it free ... :)

Sure, but as an alternative to those three specific speciality restaurants there is an option of getting 10% of the cruise fare in OBC - because we aren't that interested of the French speciality restaurant, I would take the OBC in a heartbeat. And since we usually cruise in balcony or above, the OBC will be more than the value of that dining combo. :)