W Hotel in Fort Lauderdale

Propsmom

Looking to stay here before our cruise in March. Was wondering what the walk is like to the beach and how it compares to others in the area. Is it easy to walk to area sights etc??

I have stayed at the Marriott Harbor Beach in the past...I thought it was a little isolated from restaurants etc..

Thanks

Looking to stay here before our cruise in March. Was wondering what the walk is like to the beach and how it compares to others in the area. Is it easy to walk to area sights etc??

I have stayed at the Marriott Harbor Beach in the past...I thought it was a little isolated from restaurants etc..

Thanks

LOVE the W Hotel. You are right across the street to the beach. The Hilton, next door has a pedestrian overpass to the beach.

Steak 954 is excellent in the hotel and next door at the Hilton is one of my favorites, S3. It is owned by a local restaurant group and the outdoor, oceanfront ambiance is amazing and so is the food.

You are a little walk from Beach Place which has a ton of restaurants.

You do have to walk a few blocks to get to restaurants outside of the hotels but it's much closer than Marriott to the main strip. It's also walking distance to Bonnet House and a short ride downtown. W has free transportation within a few miles you can book through the Acura concierge.

thanks so much for the info.. I just read my confirmation and the W doesn't do an early check in :(

With all the talk on this board about the Sheraton...I'm thinking maybe on the beach in an oceanview/balcony room might be the way to go.

I'm assuming the trolley is close by the Sheraton to get to sites etc...

What did your confirmation say? Did it say that you cannot check in early even if the room is ready? I've stayed there 3 times and checked in before noon each time because there was a room available. If it isn't, they can hold your luggage while you enjoy the pool (I've had them hold our luggage on checkout day so that we could spend all day at the pool). I just checked recent reviews and people have been able to check in early if there was a room available. The W is so much nicer than the Sheraton, and the Sheraton is 2 doors down from the Marriott that you thought was too far from everything. Yes, the Suntrolley rides by both hotels.

Edited by royalcruz

I have stayed at the Sheraton - and there is no comparison to the W Hotel. The Sheraton is pretty old but you are directly on the beach - the restaurants around there are OK - but if you stay at the W, you really don't have to leave the hotel since everything is right there. The bar at the Sheraton, which looks like an old ship was in the movie Analyze This. We have stayed next door to the W also, and I would recommend them as well - the Hilton - they had very good restaurants and we didn't have to leave the resort for anything.

I have stayed at the Sheraton - and there is no comparison to the W Hotel. The Sheraton is pretty old but you are directly on the beach - the restaurants around there are OK - but if you stay at the W, you really don't have to leave the hotel since everything is right there. The bar at the Sheraton, which looks like an old ship was in the movie Analyze This. We have stayed next door to the W also, and I would recommend them as well - the Hilton - they had very good restaurants and we didn't have to leave the resort for anything.

I also like to stay at the W and eat dinner at S3 and lunch at the French bakery, both in the Hilton next door. Or walk 4 blocks south to Casablanca Cafe, in a historic home overlooking the ocean. Come back and have a nightcap on the terrace of the Living Room bar at the W.

I would not book the Sheraton over the W. Just no comparison.

I can promise you, if the room is ready, you can check in early. If it isn't, wear your swimsuit on the plane, give your cell number to the desk and have them call you when the room is ready, give your luggage to the concierge, and head out to the pool for a festive cocktail and start your day.