Off the Paradise, Saturday, Nov. 1

kewpie

Got home from the Paradise on Saturday; we were a group of six on the empress deck with OV cabins.

The Paradise is kept in pretty good shape for being an older ship. The crew does a lot to keep everything in shape, though, they are always working on something.

Our embarkation out of Tampa was very easy and we were on the ship and into our cabins before one. Then it was up to the Lido deck for lunch. The food on deck 10 is very good, even though the buffet doesn't change much from day to day. There is pizza, a deli, mongolian wok, outdoor grill and then of course the buffet. We usually are breakfast and lunch at the buffet and then dinner in the MDR.

We emailed the maitre'd before we sailed about a table for six for our group but when we got on the ship we realized it didn't happen because some of us were in a different dining room. So we had that rectified and dinner worked out well. The food in the MDR was good but there was nothing special. This of course depends on your tastes and what you like. The wait staff was exceptional.

Our cabin was on deck 7 and was an OV. It seemed pretty roomy to me, my friend and I had one bed under the window and the other on the far wall. This worked out really well, because it gave us plenty of room in the center of the cabin to move around well.

Our cabin steward was Baby and we hardly saw him but the room was always neat and tidy.

We didn't do any shore excursions, but stopped at Cayman and Cozumel. Because we had been to Cozumel earlier in the year, we didn't spend much time in this port. Grand Cayman was very hot and rainy but we still enjoyed walking through some of the shops and admiring the ocean.

One thing that we were really disappointed in was the entertainment on the ship or should I say the lack of things to do that interested us. There were actual shows on two nights of the cruise, and two different comedians; but it seemed that the focus was on the music in the lounges and/or drinking. This cruise was totally different than any other Carnival cruise I had been on as far as people really drinking alot. In fact, there were some unfortunate instances on the ship due to the drinking.

Disembarkation was not very organized. We had to be out of the cabin by 8:30 and that wasn't an issue, but our number wasn't called until around 10. They called numerous numbers at once and the crowding was amazing. People everywhere, angry and pushing and shoving. Not good.

Easy after that, straight to the airport and headed home.

I was really put off by this cruise for many reasons and I don't think I would go back on this ship again. Not enough to do in the evenings and a lot of drinking. I have been on other Carnival ships and the cruises were never like this one.

Our cabin

Thanks for sharing your review. I'm sorry you didn't care very much for the Paradise though. We will be going on the ship in February with extended family to celebrate our granddaughter's college graduation. They have never cruised before so I think this one will be a good one for them to "get their feet wet." :) I don't think we'll be bored in the evenings, not with going to dinner, a show in the lounge and/or comedian at the Comedy Club and some time at the piano bar and we always enjoy a walk on the upper decks outside before heading back to our room. I don't drink a lot but usually enjoy one in the evening (favorite is Kiss on the Lips) and then I switch to plain club soda. I'm just looking forward to being with family and enjoying some Caribbean sunshine for a few days. :) My husband and I have been to Cozumel and Grand Cayman a couple of times, so we may opt to stay on the ship at both ports this time and enjoy an almost empty ship. :)