Looks like Patchy wifi may be temporary...

Looks like Patchy wifi may be temporary... although I realize that this is no solace for the current cruisers! :(

Per The Telegraph in UK:

"Service provider O3b Networks does not have a satellite in the UK, so while Quantum has more bandwidth than every other cruise ship in the world combined, passengers were subjected to the same patchy internet service found on other cruise ships.

It meant that the new Royal IQ app that allows you to keep track of any restaurant and spa reservations, for example, was not working properly either. "

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/11204910/Quantum-of-the-Seas-Patchy-Wi-Fi-and-malfunctioning-bionic-bartenders.html

Looks like Patchy wifi may be temporary... although I realize that this is no solace for the current cruisers! :(

Per The Telegraph in UK:

"Service provider O3b Networks does not have a satellite in the UK, so while Quantum has more bandwidth than every other cruise ship in the world combined, passengers were subjected to the same patchy internet service found on other cruise ships.

It meant that the new Royal IQ app that allows you to keep track of any restaurant and spa reservations, for example, was not working properly either. "

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/11204910/Quantum-of-the-Seas-Patchy-Wi-Fi-and-malfunctioning-bionic-bartenders.html

That seems like an odd omission to have left ignored knowing that she would have a press sailing and paid for sailing. Sounds like it should be resolved by the time Anthem arrives, but if bandwidth issues are causing problems for the Royal iQ app that we are supposed to depend on for everything, what kind of backup plan do they have in place for when a solar flair takes the satellite out entirely for an hour or even a day? They shouldn't be doing anything that is dependent on the Internet being available or their just setting themselves up for "boat loads" of complaints. Any web relient system should have a local redundancy that can operate when the Internet is down, even if it is a more limited state (no communication functions), but still fully functional for all the main features (reservations and luggage, that should not have relied on the web).

Edited by DEIx15x8

• 3 weeks later...

While they keep blaming this on the service provider, my connection was fine on deck 4 and in Two70. I had problems in my cabin using the WIFI. I was just going to the Diamond lounge when I needed to connect.

This seems to indicate a problem onboard the ship and not with the provider to me.

They were having problems connecting their dining check-in system aft, but the theater check-in system was working fine forward.

The one thing I can not explain is why my connection in my cabin the night between day 4 and 5 of the TA was perfect in my cabin, but then stopped working again on day 5.

I had just done the TA on Oasis just the week before and the connection in my cabin was just fine (not perfect) the entire sailing and they did not have to refund our money on that sailing.

I think the non-discounted two device WIFI was $225 for the 8 day sailing.