What area of town to stay in Anchorage?

surgie

We will be arriving from Seward by train at 10:00 pm and staying 2 nights in Anchorage. We will be renting a car at the airport and will spend nearly 2 full days on scenic drives in the area. Then we fly out of Anchorage at 11:30 pm of our second day.

Does it make sense to get a hotel near the airport (convenient for rental car pick-up and return) or would we be better off staying downtown or in the University Lake area?

If we stay near airport, how would we get from train station to hotel when we arrive? Taxi?

We will be arriving from Seward by train at 10:00 pm and staying 2 nights in Anchorage. We will be renting a car at the airport and will spend nearly 2 full days on scenic drives in the area. Then we fly out of Anchorage at 11:30 pm of our second day.

Does it make sense to get a hotel near the airport (convenient for rental car pick-up and return) or would we be better off staying downtown or in the University Lake area?

If we stay near airport, how would we get from train station to hotel when we arrive? Taxi?

I assume you're picking up the car the morning after you arrive? In that case, I'd probably just stay at the Comfort Inn a couple of blocks from the train station - http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-anchorage-alaska-AK006 - and use their free shuttle to the airport the next morning in order to pick up the car. It's not a bad place (not terrific - some noise from the trains) and generally affordable, but very convenient given your agenda.

Edited by Gardyloo

I just booked Springhill Suites University Lake for next June. Arriving by evening train also. Their shuttle will pick up from train station and also go to airport.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I just booked Springhill Suites University Lake for next June. Arriving by evening train also. Their shuttle will pick up from train station and also go to airport.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Thanks, that's very helpful information.

We stayed in Comfort Inn Ship Creek in Anchorage. A very nice place. (Check out the huge stuffed grizzly in the lobby). They have a free shuttle to train station (although it is only 2 blocks away). We rented our car out of Alamo downtown which involved a 6 block walk from the motel. If salmon are running, you can watch the fishermen at Ship Creek bridge which is practically right next door. Plus rates were much cheaper than at the airport. Comfort Inn also provides free transportation to the airport.

• 2 weeks later...

not sure what kind of trips you were planning to do or your interests. Most of the tourist stuff including shuttles to various places are on 4th Avenue...at the Visitors center. If you are planning on leaving Anchorage for day trips and not see what Anchorage has to offer, you might want to stay closer to where you want to directional wise. The city of Anchorage is a bit larger than the state of Delaware...The lodgings near the RR station are comfortable, but if you are walking there is a steep hill with a lot of stairs. Something to keep in mind if you can't do stairs or want to walk up a hill. There are reasonable hotels all around town, so pick one down south if you plan on driving to the Kenai...and one more NorthEast (like around 4th ave) if you are planning on going north. Do check out visitAnchorage.net They have lots of very good ideas, and remember...all of our roads (at least almost all) are 2 lane roads with passing zones...so increase your driving times to include potential slow drivers and stopping in pullouts to take pictures of sheep...etc....and whales in season....and Eagles....:)