Cruising with MS

C8tfish

In reading a lot a reviews, I see a number of cruisers with MS. Are people with MS more likely to feel seasick. I have had MS for 10+ years and have little or no sense of balance left. This is our first cruise and hopefully not our last. Do any MS patients do anything different on a cruise?

In reading a lot a reviews, I see a number of cruisers with MS. Are people with MS more likely to feel seasick. I have had MS for 10+ years and have little or no sense of balance left. This is our first cruise and hopefully not our last. Do any MS patients do anything different on a cruise?

Also have MS and cruise quite regularly with never having an issue with sea sickness but it should be noted that motion sickness has never been an issue pre or post MS for me.

Generally the typical balance issues associated with MS are not an indicator as to whether someone will experience sea sickness. You're going to be more prone to sea sickness if you have had past experiences of motion sickness including prior to being diagnosed with MS or if you have inner ear issues.

Being pro active is big part of traveling with MS

• Booking a cabin on a lower deck in the middle of the ship helps to minimize sea sickness.
  • Taking an over the counter Medication such as Dramamine, Bonine or a sea sickness patch can help provided it does not conflict with any of your other medications. So it's important to check with your doctor or pharmacist before purchasing any over the counter medication. The ship does provide sea sickness tablets free of charge. It can generally be obtained at Guest Services or in the Medical Center.
  • If you do experience motion sickness you're best to eat green apples and saltines for relief. The cruise ship has ample supplies of both.

If you have any other questions regarding traveling with MS please don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I also have MS, 35 years, and little balance. I have never experienced sea sickness.

Xxoo has a excellent points regarding the inner ear and pre-MS motion sickness episodes.

You asked if as an MS patient I do anything different on a cruise. I don't! I always use a mobility scooter, if you do not, with your balance issues I would wholeheartedly recommend that you rent one.

Marlee

Edited by RLM77

My sister has MS and we cruise regularly. She normally walks with a cane, but when she travels or has to walk any distance more than a block or two, she uses a travel scooter. She does have balance problems sometimes on land and does fall periodically. That said, she's never mentioned any problems with seasickness while we're cruising.

Thank You for all your responses. We set sail on 11/17 on our 1st cruise. Fat Paul, your so right. Falling down is not fun at all. I do have an accessible room and yes I have rented a scooter for the cruise. I have one at home and use it daily. Thank You again!!

Thank You for all your responses. We set sail on 11/17 on our 1st cruise. Fat Paul, your so right. Falling down is not fun at all. I do have an accessible room and yes I have rented a scooter for the cruise. I have one at home and use it daily. Thank You again!!

Have a great time ! FYI I cruise regularly with a group of people who all have MS. We call ourselves the MS Cruisers.

I, also, have MS and just returned from my Southern Caribbean cruise with no sea sickness problems. My biggest problem was getting back to ship walking the long way after security to the gangplank. Had to give in and use cane and that helped but in very hot St. Thomas with a long walk from Havensight taxi drop off, had to ask for wheelchair for rest of way skipping long line to reboard ship. The crew was very helpful. Once on a/c ship, all was fine! Definitely sensed roll and pitch of ship but that did not cause any problems.