shuttle to HNL aiport; parking rental car overnight in Maui and Kauai

monkey@cruise

Any recommended affordable shuttle service for two person from cruise ship terminal to Honolulu airport on disembarkment day?

Does anyone know of a safe and fairly close place to park rental cars overnight at the piers in Kahului (Maui) and Nawiliwili (Kauai)?

There are older threads here, but prefer the latest information. Any suggestion would be helpful.

Regards

Michael

Outside of the cruise terminal there will be many van shuttle services looking for your business. You can just walk out of the terminal and find these shuttles. We have used these in the past and we have also just jumped into a cab to get to the airport. Sorry, but I cannot quote costs as it has been several years since we did this.

Any recommended affordable shuttle service for two person from cruise ship terminal to Honolulu airport on disembarkment day?

Does anyone know of a safe and fairly close place to park rental cars overnight at the piers in Kahului (Maui) and Nawiliwili (Kauai)?

There are older threads here, but prefer the latest information. Any suggestion would be helpful.

Regards

Michael

Port parking in Maui is limited at the pier itself. Unless you return early, you will probably be instructed at the guard station to proceed down the street to the overflow lot. It also has security and the walkway back to the ship is fenced in and well lit. Very secure. Not more than a block or two as I recall.

We did not rent in Kauai, so refer to current threads, but I am not sure there is ANY overnight parking at the pier in Kauai. I think it is all all in the Harbor or Anchor Mall area near the Mariott Hotel at Kalapaki Bay. This is a paid lot, 2 or 3 blocks from the pier. There is a shopping shuttle you can catch during the day, but it stops late afternoon I believe.

As mentioned, there are shuttles from most of the agencies at the pier when the ship docks, BUT, these are for people who have already made reservations. And the drivers do ask. I overheard our driver telling someone she could not transport him without a res. I believe they had to make one with her on the spot. Not a good way to get the best price, and not something you want to have to do with a shuttle full of impatient vacationers. It may be do able, but it will be a hassle. Better to book in advance through Discount Hawaii Car Rental website, highly recommended here. Just look for the cruise ship passenger link.

Regards

Michael

We just returned, and rented cars in both Maui and Kauai and kept them overnight.

Maui...like others have said, there's a small lot right at the pier but it fills up early. We returned to the ship at around 8pm and it was full. The guard at the guard shack directed us to the overflow lot, which was nearby. Another guard there, well lit lot and a well lit, fenced walkway to the ship. Easy.

Kauai...there is no pier parking there. We parked at the Anchor Cove Mall, and it's $20 to park overnight. There is a shuttle that runs from the Mall to the ship (free...unless you want to tip a dollar or two). That ran after dark b/c we came back around dusk. However it does not start up until 8am the next morning, so we walked back to the car b/c we wanted to leave earlier than that to drive up to Waimea Canyon on our second day. We left the ship at about 7am, and it was only about a 10 minute walk to the Mall. The parking at Anchor Cove was also well lit, and when you pay to park they give you a paper to put on your dash saying that you paid to park there overnight.

Honolulu...we were able to easily walk off the ship with our luggage and get a taxi. They were all lined up outside the gangway. It was about $25 plus tip to the car rental place at the airport. :)

One other thing...if you WANT to reserve a shuttle, use Johnny Cab. We used him from the airport to our hotel the day before embarkation, and then from hotel to pier on embarkation day. He was great, super friendly and right on time. I think it was $30 plus tip from airport to hotel and $25 plus tip from hotel to pier. We tried to reserve him for the pier to the airport for disembarkation, but he was already booked up for that day. I don't know what his rate would have been, but he was the one who told us that we'd have no trouble finding a taxi...and he was right. :)

Thanks everyone's input and suggestion.

Thanks kjcombs89, we'll board the POA on 29th November and will follow your instructions :D.

You drove up to Waimea Canyon on second day, how was the traffic and travel time? Did you have to rush to meet the 2pm departure?

This is my first cruise on NCL, what is the minimal time be on board for each port departure? Someone told me is 30 minutes, is that true?

Regards

Michael

Thanks everyone's input and suggestion.

Thanks kjcombs89, we'll board the POA on 29th November and will follow your instructions :D.

You drove up to Waimea Canyon on second day, how was the traffic and travel time? Did you have to rush to meet the 2pm departure?

This is my first cruise on NCL, what is the minimal time be on board for each port departure? Someone told me is 30 minutes, is that true?

Regards

Michael

I believe 30 minutes is correct. We always allowed at least an hour b/c you have to go through a security area at every port to re-board the ship, almost like going through airport security. You have to have your ship card AND a photo ID to board every time.

And we did drive up to the very top of Waimea Canyon on the second day. Plenty of time, no traffic at all going up. We left Anchor Cove Mall by 7:30am, and we were at the top by 9am. BUT...disappointment...it was raining and we couldn't see a thing. We were pretty bummed and we actually sat IN the car in the rain, waiting for about an HOUR...hoping that the rain would let up. It never did. That was the only bummer of the whole trip b/c I so wanted to see Waimea Canyon! Anyway, we headed back down and went to Kauai Coffee Company for a little bit and then went back to the ship. There is a Costco nearby (cheapest gas), and traffic was thick around Costco and getting back to the airport but we had no trouble getting back in time.

So, lesson learned...if it's raining don't drive all the way up unless it is spotty showers. :(