Frustrations regarding HAL cancellation

chita

We booked a cruise way in advance so that we could choose exactly the stateroom we wanted.We live in Spain so we booked with a well known German online booking agency.We were able to book the exact cabin we wanted so all was set for a great cruise from Sydney to the South Sea Islands early in 2016

:DAND THEN THE FUN BEGAN.......

This week,3 months after booking we receive an email from the agency saying that HAL had cancelled our cruise.They attached a letter from HAL which gave no reason at all for the cancellation,but outlined generous onboard credits as compensation, if we booked a similar cruise in that part of the world.

:SO...... after much consideration we decided to move our cruise two months ahead of our original plans.However,remember, we're still in January 2016 here.

I have a look at the new cruise and find that there seems to be only one cabin available that is the configuration we like (a bit surprising in itself seeing that we're still 14 months out) i.e. a Signature Suite on the hump which has the extra large balcony.Only one being apparently available I grab it with some relief.

THEN next day.............an email from the agency saying that HAL will not accept my request for this particular cabin and will only give me a guarantee of the grade of cabin.

I then send a slightly outraged email to the agency ( especially as my requested cabin showed available on their website ) saying that it was not an exactly helpful approach from HAL as it was THEM that had cancelled my cruise!

They then come back and say they will express my concerns to HAL and will let me know when they get a reply.

IN THE MEANTIME.........I consider that speaking to HAL direct might move things along a bit. Was I right? Was I hell!

The Southampton office said I had booked in Euros and they only dealt in UK Sterling bookings -nothing to do with them.

Then I noticed at the bottom of the HAL letter about the cancellation a Rotterdam office number -' for bookings in Euros' it said.However on speaking to them they insisted that because I had booked through an agency there was nothing they could do either.I had to get back to the agency.

SO.........Complete stonewalling from both HAL offices.

:pFOR A BIT OF FUN...........I decide to go online directly with HAL and do a dummy booking,and guess what...

YES.........the cabin I want is available for booking online directly with HAL.:eek:

I wearily send an email to the agency telling them this.They tell me they are still waiting to hear from HAL.

SO,here we are. Waiting.:cool: And the weekend is here so that means Monday.

I am exhausted - as I am sure are those of you who have managed to get this far.

Just venting my feelings here ,but any comments to help to relieve my frustration would be most welcome. Thanks for reading!

PS:I know some of you will say - forget the agency,get a refund,and book direct.But I have considerable obc's tied in with the agency,plus the generous obc's HAL are offering for the cancellation.

Edited by chita
addition

Sorry about the problems you are having. Using an Agency gives you certain benefits, but causes you to lose certain things. One of the things you lose is the reservation is not YOURS. It belongs to the agency, so HAL cannot help you at all. The agency has to do everything.

Rules in Europe and Australia are so different than here in the US. You should be able to cancel your reservation and rebook without losing the OBC from the cancellation.

Sorry about your frustration, totally understand as I would be very upset too. But the other poster is right, your rules for booking with an agency is very different from ours here in the US. So really can't make any comment except that I'm sorry and hope you can get this straighten out with Hal and your agency.

I'm so sorry for your complications. Your agency is letting you down. Insist they call HAL while you hold on the line to get the cabin you want. Also, get your booking changed to the acceptable currency.

I've had problems with my current cruise. From now on, I'm booking with the cruise line, so I can speak with them directly.

Sorry to read of your problems. We experienced a similar situation on a cruise in the Mediterranean. We began dealing with a HAL agent directly which removed the agent from the mix. We lost some OBC but the HAL agent got us a longer cruise for the same price and reimbursed us for the cost of the flight that could not be changed. We feel we were fairly dealt with by HAL even though the total cost to us went up. We have an excellent relationship with HALs agent and she calls us with offers and has been helpful with good advise.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk