Southampton to Waterloo Station

nitnyleo

I just booked the QM2 for 1 NOV 05, eastbound. Frankly, I didn't give it much thought because it is a much better alternative to having to fly in one of those damned airplanes.

I need to get to Waterloo Station to catch the EuroStar to Paris. I went to the Cunard site thinking they would be able to provide some information....they provided absolutely nothing (not something I would expect from a world class cruise line.) While I'm sure that the concierge can find me a chauffered Rolls or Bentley to get me to Waterloo, I'm more interested in a cheap ole bus, that I have to schlep my own bags.

SO, GET TO THE POINT: Is there bus/shuttle service between Southampton and Waterloo Station?

You may call me dimwitted, Roz. I never gave a thought about catching a train to get to a train station! Whilst I had problems with the site that you provided, I was able to find the info I need...there seems to be plenty of trains to Waterloo.

And, Jimneycrkit, thank you for the cheap bus info. 1 pound sounds "incredibly" cheap....I'll be looking into it.

(I've been able to settle down some since my post and have realized that I don't NEED to get off the ship and be at Waterloo immediately. I've decided to take a drive or a tour to Stonehenge and spend the night in Southampton.)

The train station is about 10 - 15 minutes from where the ship docks. You can take a taxi to the train station. I think it takes about 1 hour 20 minutes on the train to Waterloo. Will probably cost somewhere between £5 & £10 for a taxi!! Never taken one so this is just an estimate!! If you go to www.rail.co.uk you can get the timetables for the trains to Waterloo. The train from Southampton goes directly to Waterloo so it's just a case of going down to the eurostar terminal which is just below the main train station.

Elaine

What a wonderful site that you provided...so easy to use.

After more thought, I am now prepared to let Mother Nature call the shots for my brief stay. I have always wanted to visit southwest England (my grandparents are from Dartmouth and Plymouth). I'll book the 1st nite for Southampton; I'll have 3 more days to play with....which ever place provides the best weather, wins. (I only need to get to Paris in order to catch a train for Genoa, IT (so I can take my cruise, as originally planned)).

What a wonderful site that you provided...so easy to use.

After more thought, I am now prepared to let Mother Nature call the shots for my brief stay. I have always wanted to visit southwest England (my grandparents are from Dartmouth and Plymouth). I'll book the 1st nite for Southampton; I'll have 3 more days to play with....which ever place provides the best weather, wins. (I only need to get to Paris in order to catch a train for Genoa, IT (so I can take my cruise, as originally planned)).

Don't know when your coming over here to the UK, but once again today has been like a real autumn/winters day. You would not believe that we are in mid August!! The weather at the moment is most dreadful. Can't believe they were talking of a hose pipe ban because our water is running out. Surrounded by the stuff and it doesn't stop falling out of the sky!!!!! Dartmouth and Plymouth are both very nice. Torquay is quite nice too. It's known as the English Riviera here!! They are some journey though from both Southampton and London!! Hope you enjoy your stay wherever you decide to stop off.

Elaine

It is very difficult to get by train from Southampton to Torquay/Dartmouth/Plymouth as it involves at least 2 changes of train. Your best bet is to hire a car from Hertz etc and drive - it takes about 3 hours and is scenically very beautiful.

The West Country is really lovely especially Dartmouth and Torbay and well worth a visit.

In the little research that I've done so far, I've found at least 2 weeks worth of activities (even if it is November). But, I only have about 4 days.

I suppose I'll be using Dartmouth as my base; and, since I need to "schlep" a lot of bags, the car rental makes sense (and, hopefully, cents).

In the little research that I've done so far, I've found at least 2 weeks worth of activities (even if it is November). But, I only have about 4 days.

I suppose I'll be using Dartmouth as my base; and, since I need to "schlep" a lot of bags, the car rental makes sense (and, hopefully, cents).

Here is a suggestion...

Instead of of driving the whole length of the South Coast twice... hire a car at Southampton... drive down to Dartmouth etc but use Plymouth as your base then when you are ready to come back to London you can catch the InterCity from Plymouth to Paddington... takes about 4 to 5 hours. Lots faster than driving and avoids driving in London traffic.

Stephen

It is very difficult to get by train from Southampton to Torquay/Dartmouth/Plymouth as it involves at least 2 changes of train.

It is actually quite easy to get from Southampton to Torquay or Plymouth. Choose carefully (www.nationalrail.co.uk) and you will only have to change trains once, at Westbury, and the journey time is about 3.5 hours.

True, the south coast journey is scenic but traffic can be a nightmare.

I suggest train to Plymouth, base there and then back to London on the train.

Torquay (pronounced tor-key) is lovely and likely to have milder weather than some other places. It is a nice drive and there are interesting seaside places near there. The coast around there reminds me a little of northern California and even Big Sur, but with palm trees. Maybe more like Monterey.

If you want to stay somewhere near Torquay and want some local English flavor, I recommend the Berry Head Hotel at http://www.berryheadhotel.com/ It is on the peninsula that forms Tor Bay and is about 5 miles from the town.

It has lovely views and a fantastic restaurant, although the rooms are a bit small and shabby, but typical of such a local hotel. Very reasonable rates.

Archived