Toddler-friendly excursion

CatieM80

My husband and I will be bringing our daughter, who will be almost 2 at the time of the cruise. Does anyone have any good recommendations for an excursion in Costa Maya that is toddler-friendly? It looks like the ruins are about an hour away from the port, so that may not be worth the trip. We were considering Mahahaul, which is very close to the port, just for a short day trip to walk around and see the town. But we would love some other ideas for things to do in Costa Maya with a toddler. Thanks!

My husband and I will be bringing our daughter, who will be almost 2 at the time of the cruise. Does anyone have any good recommendations for an excursion in Costa Maya that is toddler-friendly? It looks like the ruins are about an hour away from the port, so that may not be worth the trip. We were considering Mahahaul, which is very close to the port, just for a short day trip to walk around and see the town. But we would love some other ideas for things to do in Costa Maya with a toddler. Thanks!

We are booked on the beach break to Maya Chan with a toddler next week so I can let you know how it goes! They supposedly have a child menu and supply beach toys. What are your other ports of call?

We are booked on the beach break to Maya Chan with a toddler next week so I can let you know how it goes! They supposedly have a child menu and supply beach toys. What are your other ports of call?

Awesome, thanks! I'm excited to hear how you liked it. We are going to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Mahogany Bay and Grand Cayman. We will be doing Chankanaab in Cozumel. Other than that, we have nothing else planned yet. Have a great time on your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome, thanks! I'm excited to hear how you liked it. We are going to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Mahogany Bay and Grand Cayman. We will be doing Chankanaab in Cozumel. Other than that, we have nothing else planned yet. Have a great time on your cruise!

We just returned from our cruise and had a good time at Maya Chan despite the worst weather ever on a Caribbean cruise!

The resort is a some distance from the port (maybe 30 minutes) by taxi van. It is located south of the town of Mahahual along a bumpy road full of pot holes which were full of water the day we were there so although the distance isn't all that far the van can only travel very slowly. The toddler found the bumpy road fun on the way there and slept on the way back to the ship!

At Maya Chan it rained almost continuously. We were allocated a palapa at the end of the row of palapas. It was more like a small room with a low wall surrounding and a grass roof that kept us dry. Inside there were several chairs, a hammock and a day bed. The floor was sandy and Maya Chan provided buckets, spades and sand toys and so the little one was able to dig under cover. The resort is AI so as soon as we arrived they served a welcome drink, chips, salsa and guacamole. They provided cheese quesadillas and avocado slices for him to eat and bottled water. (For lunch several barbecued meats and fish with side dishes are provided at the bar for the adults - food was excellent). Drinks were plentiful. There was room to run around among the palm trees during the brief dry spells and he enjoyed playing under supervision at the water edge. Unfortunately the weather was really bad and we were told the water line was higher than normal and the waves were quite rough. There was a lot of sea weed which is a reported problem in this area and I think this year is worse than most. I had taken a blow up paddling pool which I think would have been a good idea on a better day. I don't think anyone did more than a quick dip in the ocean because of the rain but the bar area was thriving and quite a number of cruisers did brave the weather to travel from the port and had a good time.

The servers were very attentive. We hope to return one day and hopefully enjoy some sun, the floating beach chairs and other amenities that are on offer!

Edited by c-leg5