FTTF San Juan

Ellie42699

I just booked air for our 4/19 sailing on the Liberty on SW. I was hoping to fly in the day before, but it was too expensive. I am hoping fares drop and we can adjust to fly in the day before but for now, I am taking an early flight out on 4/19 and landing at SJU at 12:30. Will having FTTF still be beneficial to me for boarding since we probably won't get to port until 1:30? If I buy it now can I cancel it later? I definetly want it if we fly in the day before, just not sure it will be beneficial to me landing in the afternoon the day of. Thanks in advance.

The benefits of FFTF are not just about getting on the ship earlier. In fact you only get on a few minutes before everyone else. The benefits of FTTF include Boarding after the weddings, diamond, and platinum cruisers. You check-in in a different line that is usually shorter. You room is ready upon embarkation. There is a special line and phone number at guest services. You have priority with tenders off the ship(not coming back). You get priority for dining options (no guarantees). On debarkation day you get a low number.

While each cruiser must decide for themselves what these perks are worth to them, your question is regarding boarding. FTTF will not be of any help. If you are detained from the airport, FTTF will not hold the ship.

IF it were me I would put the extra $50 toward the airfare on the day before the cruise.

We did FTTF out of San Juan last year. We have some travel issues and were not able to board until 4:30pm and there was no one in line in either the FTTF line or the regular line. In all 5 ports we docked, so priority tendering is of no use. We never used Guest Services, so never used the special line. The only benefit in getting FTTF is we were able to debark early which we did since we had an early flight, but if we used self assist we could have debarked just a little bit later. Not worth the $50 when going out of San Juan.

The benefits of FTTF depend on what's important to you. Getting on the ship early, and being able to go straight to my cabin to drop off my carry-on items is what I enjoy. However, sailing out of San Juan, I would not be in such a rush to board the ship because it leaves much later than other sailings. I would choose not to use FTTF on this cruise.

When we were in San Juan in 2013 we had FTTF and skipped 3 massive queues checking in. I think we must have just picked the busiest time to board as it seemed very unusual to see quite that many people, but there were crowds struggling to drop bags off, then about an hour's queue to check in, and then the same again for security.

Often there were big queues at guest services too which we were able to bypass.

Disembarkation is worth it too. We could have got off first but needed to wait around for our hotel check in time, and I really wish we'd taken the opportunity as we ended up waiting around a long time in the luggage area.

So yes, do it!! It's not much per person to lose even if you don't find you use it much.

When we were in San Juan in 2013 we had FTTF and skipped 3 massive queues checking in. I think we must have just picked the busiest time to board as it seemed very unusual to see quite that many people, but there were crowds struggling to drop bags off, then about an hour's queue to check in, and then the same again for security.

Often there were big queues at guest services too which we were able to bypass.

Disembarkation is worth it too. We could have got off first but needed to wait around for our hotel check in time, and I really wish we'd taken the opportunity as we ended up waiting around a long time in the luggage area.

So yes, do it!! It's not much per person to lose even if you don't find you use it much.

We have purchased it for every cruise since it has been available, sailing out of Tampa, Port Canaveral, and FLL. Have never been sorry for doing it.

Plus, it is a per cabin cost, not per person.