Country Club Casual

daslifter

That reminds me of President Kennedy's speech at the Berlin Wall, when he said "Ich bin ein Berliner" which means "I am a doughnut" (a "Berliner" being a kind of local pastry) instead of "Ich bin Berliner" which means "I am a Berliner." If one is an Arabian, then one is a kind of horse; if one is Arabian, then one is an Arab. LOL I think that either an Arabian or an Arab wearing green plaid slacks would be a sight worth seeing.

I should think that a Purple Cow is quit a sight

I feel somewhat equivocal about this whole business. I think the formal nights on many cruise ships is an attempt for the pseudo cruise royalty to "party like it's 1899", when cruises were primarily Atlantic Crossings, and cruisers were strictly categorized on Class lines. This I find so unappealing and totally unrealistic.

Today however, things have gone so far the other way culturally that you don't have to wear a coat and tie in almost any restaurant in the US, and many in Europe, but I find on the occasion when I'm expecting a great meal that I would prefer to wear a suit. Haven't felt this way on a cruise ship though.

BTW, a purple cow is quite fashionable. We had exhibitions of street art in Chicago and then New York City several years ago which featured various Cow permutations, including I believe, a purple cow.
Cows on Parade! They've visited several cities and I collect the miniatures. My latest acquisition is, indeed, a purple cow, albeit wearing a red hat.

Yes, Cows on Parade (as opposed to Bulls on Parade by Rage Against the Machine) ANYWAY, is your purple cow in the Red Hat Club? I saw one of their meetings in Fort Worth last year.

Okay, I'll bite.

What's a red hat club?

Jane

There is a poem that begins something like, when I am an old woman I shall wear purple....that, I believe, has inspired Red Hat Society groups all over the place. The women wear purple clothing and red hats, and are mostly 50+.

Just off Regatta's 8-31-05 Baltic run - and Country Club Casual worked just fine - saw only one tux during the cruise - most gents wearing collared shirts and slacks, with a smattering of sports jackets or blazers, and of course, some gents wearing ties. Ladies were similarly well-dressed.

Still amazed at the number of men wearing baseball caps indoors and to the lido. I was always told no hats indoors unless in uniform, on duty, and armed.

Guess I am really an old fuddy-duddy.

:p

Finely

Nope - most of the baseball cap wearers were well into their 70s, and in my opinion, should know better than to remain "covered" indoors.

hat manners 101 :o

Indoors, a man should always remove his hat, (particularly in a home, church, courtroom or restaurant) except:

(1) in some public buildings or public places such as railroad stations or post offices;

(2) in the main parlor area of a saloon or general store;

(3) or while seated at the "lunch counter" of a diner or cafe;

(4) in entrance halls and corridors of office buildings, or hotels;

(5) in elevators of public or office buildings, unless a woman is present;

(6) if carrying packages, parcels or bags and both hands are occupied upon entry.

(7) If the man is an actor or performer and the hat is being worn as a part of a costume or performance.

so perhaps they were all actors?:confused:

Archived