2 rooms - how does OBC work?

mnventure

Last February, I two rooms (adjoining) for our cruise on the Getaway in January 2015. We got OBC from NCL and our TA ($250 total per cabin). We officially booked one adult and one kid in each room, even though that wasn't going to be our actual arrangements....

Anyway, my FIL passed away in April and shortly afterwards we convinced my MIL to join us on the cruise. Now my husband will share a cabin with her (due to their sleep schedule), and I will share a room with both kids.

But my question is...how does the OBC credit work? Can we combine both cabins or do we have to charge some to each cabin to use the credit? Since MIL is paying the rate for the 3rd person in the cabin, we are using the OBC that we originally got. If she makes charges with her card, will it use the OBC? If I book an excursion while onboard, do I have to pay with cards from both cabins or can money be moved from one cabin to the other?

Another related question....will be be able to use on credit card for our keys and another credit card for MIL's key?

And the way we are booked in the cabins is still not how we are going to be using them...can we change that once onboard? Or should we just get extra room keys? (Hubby and MIL are very early risers...so I want them to both be able to go in/out their door; not mine. :)).

the OBC will be based on each room-so you will need to work that out amongst yourselves. last year our cruise price went down after bookiing, so we were given OBC by our NCL rep-

it was me and gf in one cabin, her sister and bil in another, and their son in a studio-for some reason me and gf got more credit as the "lead" cabin, we just added them all and worked it out so we shared the wealth, charging things to our room first-they don't care who pays for the speciaty restaurants for the whole group, for example

NCL given OBC will be divided on first two passengers in each cabin and TA given OBC is usually named to a specific (first) person in the cabin. You can move these around simply by visiting Guest Services desk (allow at least one night after embarkation for the OBC to register to the accounts).

the OBC will be based on each room-so you will need to work that out amongst yourselves. last year our cruise price went down after bookiing, so we were given OBC by our NCL rep-

it was me and gf in one cabin, her sister and bil in another, and their son in a studio-for some reason me and gf got more credit as the "lead" cabin, we just added them all and worked it out so we shared the wealth, charging things to our room first-they don't care who pays for the speciaty restaurants for the whole group, for example

Thanks! I was thinking we would have to just figure it out...and make sure we use both cards from both rooms.

and they should let you use different credit cards-but does it really matter? with MIL do you doubt that she will pay you for her bill if it goes on your credit card?

Oh...I know she is good for the money. :) Just thought it would be easier if we could keep it separate. And I wasn't sure how it worked....this is our second cruise, last time it was just me and hubby and we had no OBC and just one room. It's a little more complicated this time...just trying to figure this cruise stuff out.

NCL given OBC will be divided on first two passengers in each cabin and TA given OBC is usually named to a specific (first) person in the cabin. You can move these around simply by visiting Guest Services desk (allow at least one night after embarkation for the OBC to register to the accounts).

Thanks! This does make a difference, even tho MIL was added last (as the 3rd person in the cabin)...she is listed as person #2 (they moved a kid to the #3 spot).

Thinking to make it easier we will just use our credit card, and then work it out ourselves when the cruise is over.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

What do you mean by 'move them around'? I always travel with my SIL, Niece or GF and every time we have OBC given by NCL half of it goes onto my cc and the other half on her cc. I've asked at guest services if it can all be transferred over to my CC and they always tell me 'no'. Now, my cruises are always comped through CAS and my roommate just pays her share of taxes, etc. but wants me to have the OBC. Guest services won't do that unless we both use the same CC.

We've gotten around this simply by me using her room card to charge some of my things.....but it would be easier (for me) if they'd just give all the OBC to me since I booked the cruise and the cruise is due to my CAS status.

Harriet

I don't know the answers to your other questions, but I do know this: We have booked in a different arrangement we used, and the front desk gave us extra room keys without any questions. But be sure to keep them separate, as one can demagnetize the other (happened to me a couple times). You have to get a new one from the front desk, which is annoying, but they don't question you here either.

I was also curious about credit card arrangements when I took my first cruise in September.

Each passenger can have their own credit card connected to their room key.

For example, I shared a room with my dad. My mom shared a room with my sisters. When we checked in, my mom provided her credit card for her (and my sisters') key cards. I provided my credit card for my key card and my dad used the same credit card as my mom.

No problem whatsoever. They ask you upon check in what the payment arrangements are.

We have 2 connecting rooms my DW and I in one and the 3 kids in the other. We can do this because they are connecting. We booked with the 10% obc promo. They won't use that much of the obc can we move it on to our cards?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have 2 connecting rooms my DW and I in one and the 3 kids in the other. We can do this because they are connecting. We booked with the 10% obc promo. They won't use that much of the obc can we move it on to our cards?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, visit Guest Services. I have moved OBC from various people/cabins as well.

Yes, visit Guest Services. I have moved OBC from various people/cabins as well.

Just wondering if this was NCL OBC or TA OBC - refundable or non refundable.

I had NCL non refundable OBC and when I went to the guest services to move it from my roommate's account to my account they refused. We both were in the same room but with two different CC's. One for me and one for her, yet I booked the reservation and am first on the reservation.

Harriet

We had side by side cabins with significant OBC's for each. Since we were all together with kids, the bills for both rooms were pooled together and everything came out of that pool regardless of who made charges. The bill did break down which key card charged what so we could tell if one of the boys used it for a video game or whatever.

I have traveled with friends all in the same cabin and each had our own card tied to our individual key.

I'm all about checking my bill on a regular basis so I check throughout the cruise and make sure any corrections are done before debarkation day.