OCD Planner's Mah-valous Mediterranean Adventure on Serenade of the Seas

ace1zoe2

Unfortunately this is not a place I could go. I was getting a queasy stomach just looking at the pics. I have a terrible phobia of heights. They are incredible pics though, it must have been amazing.

Connie

Connie,

There were a few in our friends & family group that didn't do this DIY trip for that very same reason.

I had no problem when we were there but when I uploaded that one picture looking down from the funicular ride it made me queasy at my stomach looking at it.

It really was a unique, beautiful place. I still cannot imagine how they got all the materials up there hundreds of years ago to build the monastery. Truly impressive!

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cindy, I almost forgot about your review after I got back from my cruise. Glad I finally remembered it.

Your pictures are just breathtaking. I would have loved going up that mountain. Don't think my husband could do it though. The Basilica was beautiful.

I really hate to see this review end. I am enjoying it so much.

I'll be here, no matter how long it takes.;) Thanks.

Gwen :)

The time has finally come that they have literally kicked us off the ship! Since we were all staying over in Barcelona for an additional 2 nights, and had nothing to do with all the luggage until we could check in to our apartments, we hung out on the ships as long as they allowed.

We all met for breakfast at 8:30 as the dining room closed at 9:00am and ended up seated at two different tables near each other. We all took our time eating and when they announced final call we begrudgingly left the ship. My daughter & SNL had left early in the morning to do their tour of Sagrada before rebounding the ship for the TA home to New Orleans.

After gathering our bags we took a taxi to our apartments which were just two blocks from Sagrada and within a 4 minute walk of each other. We were in 3 apartments rented through VRBO and everyone was happy with our choices.

Here is the plain outside of ours:

IMG_0924_zpsf9297784.jpg

The door was locked and required a key or code to enter into the lobby area which was also locked and required a key to get to the elevator (or lift) and stairs.

The neighborhood... notice all the Catalonian flags. We were there during the height of the protests.

IMG_0925_zps4e32fed0.jpg

Our apartment was very modern with contemporary furnishings and floating shelves. We were on the 4th floor but luckily there was an elevator. The interior of the apartment so that you can get an idea of size.

IMG_4175_zpsae5751b8.jpg

IMG_4170_zps3f80e4e3.jpg

IMG_4164_zps4c5a88cc.jpg

IMG_4167_zps8616a0ec.jpg

We had two bedrooms which both opened onto a balcony, one overlooked the street and the other overlooked the neighborhood and the backs of the surrounding apartments. We had a washer, which we made use of the first day, and a drying rack on the back balcony and the front balcony had a table & chairs which we had planned to use but never had time. The larger bedroom had an on-suite bath and the second bedroom had a bathroom in the hall way.

IMG_4171_zpsecab063a.jpg

IMG_4172_zps1a81d8c1.jpg

The front balcony had doors to the main bedroom as well as the living area.

IMG_4169_zps08c46a23.jpg

We arrived at the apartment around 10am and had made arrangements to drop our luggage. I called the landlord when we were on our way and within 20 minutes the rental manager, Ms. Esther, had arrived. Lucky for us the apartment was not rented the previous night so it was available for immediate occupancy so we got to go right up instead of storing our bags. Esther was a VERY nice lady who showed us around the apartment and explained how everything worked. She was happy to answer all of our questions about Barcelona and provided us with a map and a list of the best "local" restaurants she liked.

I have to say that the landlord promptly answered all of previous emails during the year that we were waiting for our trip to arrive. We had a great location, 2BR, 2B, washer, dishwasher, a/c for 260euro for 2 nights plus a 60euro cleaning fee, so 320euro total for 2 nights split between 2 couples. We felt like we had more room and the use of the washer and a place to cook had we wanted to for equal to or less than we would have paid for a hotel. We had our breakfasts in the apartment and had lunch and dinner out. If you are interested in this apartment you can find it here: http://www.vrbo.com/452999

Then owner also overs Paella cooking classes which they will come to the apartment to do and then you eat and have wine. They also have several full day and half day tours available which she will send you information on.

After doing a load of laundry and putting it out to dry we set out on foot which according to Esther was the best way to experience Barcelona. Our first stop was for lunch somewhere quick - we ended up eating our first American meal of the trip at a Subway! We had a coupon for 2 subs, 2 drinks, 2 cookies or chips for 10 euros so we figured that was probably as cheap as it was going to get!

After lunch we walked on to Park Guell where we had a 1:30pm timed entry that we had pre-purchased online before leaving home.

IMG_4213_zpsfa79433b.jpg

Ok, that's probably it for today. Lunch hour is over and tonight is my work Christmas Party at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse! Hopefully I will finally be able to finish up the last two days by the end of this week :)

Cindy, I almost forgot about your review after I got back from my cruise. Glad I finally remembered it.

Your pictures are just breathtaking. I would have loved going up that mountain. Don't think my husband could do it though. The Basilica was beautiful.

I really hate to see this review end. I am enjoying it so much.

I'll be here, no matter how long it takes.;) Thanks.

Gwen :)

Gwen,

I'm glad that you found your way back to my report! I'm almost sad that I'm almost finished except for the fact that I still need to update my blog with all this information AND post all my pictures on FB for my friends to see. I shared with my CC friends first :)

If you've never been to Sagrada, just wait until you see pictures of that!

Cindy

Edited by ace1zoe2

We next visited Park Guell, which is a World Heritage Site, where construction began in 1900. The park was designed by Antonio Gaudi and very much reflects his work throughout Barcelona. There are two sections to the park, one is free to enter and the other is by paid and timed admission. We purchased our tickets online prior to leaving the US at this website: http://www.parkguell.cat/en/buy-tickets/

We arrived at our appointed time and were able to walk straight in without waiting in line to purchase tickets. Of course, as with everywhere else I have traveled in my lifetime, part of the porter's lodge known as Casa Del Guarda was under renovation and covered in scaffolding.

IMG_4217_zps0f707a0a.jpg

Casa Del Guarda was built between 1901-1903. The building to the right of the entrance serves as part of the Barcelona History Museum featuring Catalan vault construction. You could pay an additional fee to enter the building after standing in line approximately 30-45 minutes so we bypassed that opportunity.

IMG_4180_zps994924b0.jpg

The building to the left of the entrance is under renovation but remains open as the gift/book shop and you may enter it for free. You may also go up the stairs to the look out point and there are more books available for purchase up there as well. It was worth the time to take a peak inside at the architecture of the building.

Apparently I didn't feel the picture with the scaffolding would be any better up close because the only pictures I find are of the top the the building! This is the steepled top.

IMG_4194_zps5c3dd575.jpg

There were so many people in the park that it was impossible to take pictures without random people about. I did get a few close ups of the mosaic work:

IMG_4181_zps44502e9f.jpg

IMG_4211_zps284d98f4.jpg

This dragon watches over the staircase leading up to the Monumental Flight of Stairs:

IMG_4185_zps6b695014.jpg

The Monumental Stairs ascend to the Hypostyle or Column Room:

IMG_4204_zps09d282a6.jpg

IMG_4187_zps75c6df6b.jpg

Continuing on you are lead to the Nature Square which sits atop the Columns Room:

IMG_4190_zps002434df.jpg

IMG_4196_zpsbb8ac64f.jpg

The top of the Column room forms the Nature Square and the side provide the backs to the seating areas around the top.

IMG_4199_zpsc1badb16.jpg

This area is known as the Austria Gardens:

IMG_4203_zpsfa4fe621.jpg

I just ran across your review today and read the whole thing, fantastic! Our 12 day on Serenade last year was RT out of Barcelona with an overnight in Venice. Some of the stops were similar so it was interesting to see what you did differently and perhaps what we would do next time. Like you did in Rome we had 3 days in Barcelona before than flew to Paris for 6 days after.

I personally don't think you are OCD (because I would have to call myself that) but did your research and were prepared for the "must see" things in each port. Anything I could buy tickets for ahead of time was done before we left. Being able to basically walk into the places we wanted to see was priceless, especially in high season and worth the research.

We are back on Serenade in February on one of her last times out of NOL, this time it is not necessarily for the itinerary but for the departure port and to be back on this ship!

Karen

Have just finished reading all 17 pages. What a fantastic review with awesome pictures.

So sorry it is getting close to the end. Great job.

Judy

Thanks Judy! I appreciate your kind words. Between Christmas parties, work, getting ready for Christmas and trip right afterwards I'm having a hard time getting finished. Hopefully I will get to work on it again tonight.

Cindy

I just ran across your review today and read the whole thing, fantastic! Our 12 day on Serenade last year was RT out of Barcelona with an overnight in Venice. Some of the stops were similar so it was interesting to see what you did differently and perhaps what we would do next time. Like you did in Rome we had 3 days in Barcelona before than flew to Paris for 6 days after.

I personally don't think you are OCD (because I would have to call myself that) but did your research and were prepared for the "must see" things in each port. Anything I could buy tickets for ahead of time was done before we left. Being able to basically walk into the places we wanted to see was priceless, especially in high season and worth the research.

We are back on Serenade in February on one of her last times out of NOL, this time it is not necessarily for the itinerary but for the departure port and to be back on this ship!

Karen

Karen,

Thanks for taking time to read and post. We loved Serenade (all Radiance class actually) but didn't have a lot of time to enjoy her. We're headed out again on 1/4 on Explorer (our first time on that ship) after we visit the Grands in Florida for Christmas.

It's been such a whirlwind since we returned from this trip that the January cruise has no plans whatsoever! I haven't looked to see how to get to the port yet. We'll be driving from Jacksonville to Port Canaveral so it shouldn't be too hard.

We only have 2 port stops at Cozumel & Coco Cay and 3 sea days so I hope to just relax and take in the ship this time. We've been to Cozumel several times now but never to Coco Cay.

I plan to do a review of that trip as well. Enjoy your next cruise on Serenade!

Cindy

We continued out walk throughout the paid area and then went on to the free portion of the park which was just as wonderful. You could spend at least 1/2 to a full day trying to see all there is to see here. The free portion consists of walkways, paths and stairs leading up very high on the hill which overlooks all of Barcelona. The views were breathtaking.

One place called Three Crosses Hill was particularly beautiful. You could climb the rock hill to the top and stand in awe. However, there are no sides, no rails and if you are even the least bit scared of heights, this is not for you!

IMG_4223_zpsaa2e3a91.jpg

Views over the city looking towards the sea:

IMG_4222_zps96be41d5.jpg

These next few were zoomed in about 280m and are of the town area and then Tibidabo amusement park which is on the highest point in Barcelona. You may get there straight from the port by taking an aerial tram from the port to the mountain top.

IMG_4220_zps7bd5a8c9.jpg

IMG_4221_zps7e857e67.jpg

The ongoing building of Sagrada Familia:

IMG_4219_zps3f5c69f9.jpg

Some other chapels in the area below:

IMG_4228_zpse6fdc095.jpg

We strolled all the way to the back of the park which lead us to this beautiful building:

IMG_4216_zps96dd8148.jpg

Along the way we enjoyed the following views:

IMG_4225_zpsd9f5655d.jpg

IMG_4226_zps70e03656.jpg

IMG_4230_zpsfcdedc06.jpg

IMG_4224_zps903822b3.jpg

A quote from Gaudi in a path we took away from the park:

IMG_4233_zps8bf2c166.jpg

After we left the park we headed to the Las Ramblas area of Barcelona to check it out. Hopefully I will get that portion posted later today!

Karen,

Thanks for taking time to read and post. We loved Serenade (all Radiance class actually) but didn't have a lot of time to enjoy her. We're headed out again on 1/4 on Explorer (our first time on that ship) after we visit the Grands in Florida for Christmas.

It's been such a whirlwind since we returned from this trip that the January cruise has no plans whatsoever! I haven't looked to see how to get to the port yet. We'll be driving from Jacksonville to Port Canaveral so it shouldn't be too hard.

We only have 2 port stops at Cozumel & Coco Cay and 3 sea days so I hope to just relax and take in the ship this time. We've been to Cozumel several times now but never to Coco Cay.

I plan to do a review of that trip as well. Enjoy your next cruise on Serenade!

Cindy

Cindy, yes I agree and this is the purpose of our next cruise we have only 3 stops (which we have been to before) and 3 sea days. While I would do the MED again in a heartbeat I'm looking forward to revisiting the Caribbean and the slower paced week. First for my husband and I together without any friends, family or children!

I'm looking forward to hearing the rest about your time in Barcelona and your upcoming trip on Explorer!

Our next adventure was Las Ramblas across town. We walked the entire way and took some time to look at a few vendor stalls and then headed to the La Boqueria Mercat (market)

IMG_4235_zpsf278d843.jpg

IMG_4237_zpsa7195c6f.jpg

Once inside I was again in foodie heaven! So many colors, different types of fruits I never even knew existed, meats, cheeses, fish, seafood, flowers and more. There were places to eat inside and out. Here are some pictures to whet your appetite!

IMG_4239_zpse28ddadb.jpg

IMG_4240_zps9c2a51b7.jpg

IMG_4243_zpsebdbbc5e.jpg

IMG_4244_zpsc1c4f21e.jpg

IMG_4245_zps0b8bdcac.jpg

I've never seen this before but it was a gorgeous color of pink:

IMG_4246_zpsbab64c8b.jpg

Every kind of bread you could imagine was available:

IMG_4248_zps7f3e3994.jpg

All sizes of shrimp, mussels and seafood could be found here:

IMG_4249_zps400ad4f2.jpg

Spices:

IMG_4251_zps64e0076b.jpg

Food Art/Candy & More:

IMG_4256_zps5b077936.jpg

Then there was the EWWW factor for me, personally. I think these are turkey heads, maybe? I'm not sure what the white stuff on the right is either. This display grossed me out.

IMG_4257_zps7765511a.jpg

Fresh pheasants, ducks, rabbits and more:

IMG_4259_zps68a970c0.jpg

If it was edible, you could probably find it in this market!

After the market we went outdoors to checkout the area. Sites we saw along our walk:

IMG_4265_zpsb9166697.jpg

IMG_4266_zps2ea7bd55.jpg

IMG_4268_zps838c25de.jpg

We stopped and had dinner and when we stepped out a door different than the one we entered by we were just above a graveyard from the looks of things below.

IMG_4269_zps4a1f37fa.jpg

We happened upon another open air market just a few blocks over from Las Ramblas not far from a cathedral.

IMG_4279_zps4d16473e.jpg

This is a terrible picture because it was night time but the cathedral was beautiful.

IMG_4277_zpsb01f3a29.jpg

This appeared to be some type of fort area:

IMG_4280_zps5bc2329c.jpg

The arch:

IMG_4281_zps5e9d6b36.jpg

By the time we made it back to our apartment we had been out on our feet walking about 9 hours! By the end of the day we had walked 26,599 steps or 11.6 MILES!

When we arrived back at the apartment Debbie says to me: I don't know about you but I'm taking a taxi or metro tomorrow if we go anywhere! I said: I would have taken either today but I thought you didn't want to spend the money. She says: I thought the same thing about you! Had either of us known the other wasn't trying to be frugal we probably could have shaved a couple of hours of walking time from our day! However, by walking we did see lots of Barcelona that we would not otherwise ever knew existed.

It was a great day! Up next is our Sagrada Familia guided tour... you cannot imagine from the outside the beauty that awaits you inside.

I do not even know where to begin to talk about Sagrada Familia. I pre-purchased our timed tickets online as soon as they became available for our group of 14. About two weeks before the trip I discovered that I had purchased them for the wrong date! I purchased for our return home date instead of the day before. I found this out on a Friday about 4pm our time. I tried to call but they were closed for the weekend. I sent an email explaining what had happened and requesting that the tickets be reissued for the correct date. Initially we had half of the tickets for each of the two tower tours. And to confuse things even more, my daughter & SNL were staying on the ship for the Transatlantic home and needed their tickets for turnaround day on Thursday, instead of the Friday when we would be touring.

I was sick at my stomach... here I had taken charge, made the plans, made the reservations and screwed everything up. There was less than two weeks until we left and I wasn't sure if we'd even be touring Sagrada now!

When I woke up on Saturday morning and checked my email I had an email from Sagrada with all our new tickets attached! What a relief. They issued two separate tickets for my daughter, then 12 tickets for all the same tower (with elevator up and down which is what we needed with 2 in our party who cannot do stairs for physical/health reasons) and for the same general times as we had booked for in the first place. Everything worked out just fine and all was well in my universe again.

You can find information on tours and tickets directly through Sagrada familia here: http://visit.sagradafamilia.cat/?lang=en

Current 2014 ticket prices per person were:

Entry only: 14,80 euro

Guided English Tour with Entry: 18,30 euro

Tour/Entry/Tower: 23,80 euro

We did the guided tour of the Basilica and the tower to the top. In my opinion, the guided tour adds so much to just walking in and looking around. We had access to the basilica at 11:15am, our tour started at 12:15am and lasted around an hour, then the tower was at 1:45.

After spending around 45 minutes inside looking around then doing the tour we learned so much. The guide pointed out so many things that we would have never noticed on our own and the meaning of things we did notice but had no idea of the meaning behind it.

I took well over 250 pictures during the time we were touring the interior and exterior of the basilica. It was absolutely amazing.

The building process began in 1882 with Gaudi taking over the project in 1883 at age 31. He continued to oversee the project until his death in 1926 at age 73. At the time the project was less than 1/4 complete. It was stagnant for years after the Spanish War when parts of the Basilica, Gaudi's models and workshops were destroyed. The models were reconstructed piece by piece and later computer rendered models have helped with construction. Since Sagrada is funded by private donations only - nothing comes from the Catholic church or the government work was at a standstill for a while. Finally in the 50's intermittent construction began again. After a surge in tourism beginning with the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona and additional funds provided by visitors, construction has been steadily increasing. By 2010 the building finally passed it's midpoint and tourism has helped to fund the ongoing construction. The hope is to complete the building by 2026 on the 100 year anniversary of Gaudi's death.

To me the exterior of the building looks almost like it is melting on the one side. But upon a closer look there is a reason and design for everything... it is truly amazing if you take time to look at everything there is to see. We spent about 4 hours total at the Basilica and could have probably stayed longer and seen more.

Exterior pictures on the Nativity Facade include Mary & Joseph's travels, the birth, Jesus as a child and Jesus working in his father's carpentry shop:

IMG_4289_zps6607c5b2.jpg

IMG_4292_zpsf9fafb5f.jpg

IMG_4301_zps97905e95.jpg

IMG_4295_zpsb4758efc.jpg

IMG_4294_zps286d988f.jpg

IMG_4298_zps7701aa56.jpg

The entrance doors where actually being worked on while we were there. The designer was there explaining his vision. The doors are covered in "leaves" and there are tiny insects in various places throughout.

IMG_4399_zps8a5b0257.jpg

More up-close pictures of the facade:

IMG_4401_zps540ce6e1.jpg

IMG_4402_zpsd690458d.jpg

IMG_4403_zps9253d922.jpg

IMG_4410_zpsb2bb69aa.jpg

IMG_4411_zps78414ac8.jpg

I love following along on your reviews. The ships I've been on, and the ones I'm only dreaming about currently.

Thank you! Hubby & adult son are going to the Cowboy's game today so I am hoping to do laundry & FINALLY finish this trip report!

We leave in 8 days to go to Florida to see our grands for Christmas and board Explorer two weeks from today... I need to get my suitcases out and start thinking about what I will be taking.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nativity Facade continued:

The turtle at the base of the column near the entrance. Everything about this basilica has something to do with nature, animals, trees, leaves and of course the life of Jesus.

IMG_4413_zps142691a8.jpg

From the colors of the stone work you can see the old portion of the basilica and the newer portions:

IMG_4432_zpsfbff5b27.jpg

After a description of the Nativity Facade by our guide we entered into the Basilica. We spent about 20 minutes or so hearing about the features of the interior. I am still in awe every time I look at the pictures! Again I took well over 250 pictures while we were at Sagrada and I am going to try to limit my picture posts but still try to show you what we saw.

The entire inside of the basilica reminds one of being in a forest. The columns represent the tree trunks, the ceiling appears to be the canopy of the trees. The stained glass changes from blue/greens on one side of the basilica to yellow/reds on the opposite side. Every picture that you see that has clear glass or covered openings will eventually be replaced with stained glass. During the time that we were there the sun moved over the top of the basilica to the other side and when we came back in from the Passion Facade.

Now in no particular order I will be posting a great quantity of interior pictures of Sagrada, if they are of no interest to you feel free to scroll on by.

Looking up at the ceiling or canopy, if you will:

IMG_4304_zps95574ed2.jpg

IMG_4308_zpsbd2b3cb5.jpg

Above the alter area:

IMG_4305_zpsfd393086.jpg

These doors are ginourmous and feature the Lord's Prayer in different languages.

IMG_4318_zpsb316f6db.jpg

IMG_4378_zps2695f9bb.jpg

IMG_4379_zps709f7c56.jpg

Eventually all of these opening will have stained glass and the sun will shine down through them casting light upon the floor of the basilica:

IMG_4380_zpsfa89661b.jpg

A close up of the doors I showed earlier. If you look about midways down to the word "Anosaltres" you will see the words "our Father" on the left side and "give us this day our daily bread" on the right side.

IMG_4441_zps0359b439.jpg

Some of the gorgeous stained glass:

IMG_4350_zpsaf69911d.jpg

All of this stained glass was just installed the week that we were there:

IMG_4357_zpsf2b2b830.jpg