Shopping in Alaska & what to pack for August cruise?

buzz888

Hopefully I'm posting my question in the right forum, since I couldn't find one specifically for shopping....

Is there good shopping in Alaska? I know Alaska is known for gold, but is there good bargains for silver jewellry or is it limited for shopping?

Also what do most people pack for an Alaskan cruise in August? Does it always rain? or should we bring shorts? I don't want to pack sweatshirts if it's nice weather.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hi buzz888, when are you going to Alaska? We will be on Infinity 8/15.

I don't do much shopping while on vacation, so someone else could answer better there. My shopping will consist of shipping home smoked salmon in Ketchikan, nesting dolls in Sitka, some art if we happen to stumble upon a gallery in Juneau.

What to pack: layers. From what I understand, it can go from a chilly morning to a warm afternoon. Start with a short sleeve T, add a sweatshirt and possibly a lightweight jacket that can easily be stowed in a backpack. Two pair of walking shoes, one dry pair to wear if you do get caught in rain. Speaking of rain, my understanding is to be prepared for it, the weather can be unpredictable, the answer is not "if" it rains but "when" it rains. One pair of shorts in case you do get a warm day. We plan on taking advantage of the onboard laundry service to be able to pack a little lighter.

I've spent a lot of time reading the Alaska Ports of Call board. There is a lot of helpful info over there.

Have a great cruise!!!

Kathy

Kathy - we will be on the Infinity on 6/20. I should've mentioned that in my post about "8 days to go"

Buzz888 - don't know what ports you are going to but you can find out info about shopping by going to the Convention & Visitor's Bureau website for the city you are going to.

Archived