3/4 Full Rule? Help me Please!

I just called rc and wanted to check the price of adding a 4th person in our cabin. We have 3 people in one cabin and my daughter wants to bring a friend.

I can't book anyone in that room because our cruise LOS 3/25/06 is on a 3/4 full rule. It was explained that by coast guard regulation they cannot book anyone else on the cruise because of weight regulations? Huh? Can someone explain this one to me? I'm lost!

Sher

Weight rule? I don't think so. If the ship is 3/4th's full that probably means that the cabins that can handle 4 people are completely if not overbooked. The RCCL rep was just trying to be "helpful" by blaming a non-existent regulation.

I have read this information on these boards;

The Coast Guard rules are that a ship can only sail with a certain number of people on board whether the cabins are all full or not. I believe there is also a restricted number of children allowed on each cruise also.

If this is not correct, someone jump in and correct it. ;)

My TA explained to me that a ship cannot exceed a fixed capacity because of fire codes and life boat capacity issues. For example if a ship had 100 double rooms then the capacity would be 200. Adding a third person to a room would need to be offset be one person in another room, etc....at least that's how it was explained to me....

We just had the same problem trying to add my daughters friend on our cruise. They only have so many quotas for third and fourth passengers. So we had to just book another room. However, keep checking on the website if somone cancels (usually closer to the final payment date) you can add that person.

I just checked our cruise a couple weeks ago and we would have been able to put them in our room, however, my husband and I decided to let them keep their own room.

Do you have an assigned cabin? And if so is it a cabin that can accomodate 4 people.

If it is don't give up just keep going up the ladder (to the CEO of the Cruise line is necessary) till you get the OK.

I had the same problem with Celebrity in January of this year - my Dad was booked in a cabin and paying 200% of the fare - his cousin decided to join us on our sold out cruise and share Dad's cabin (and save Dad a lot of money)! I got all the excuses from the Coast Guard wouldn't allow any more people aboard to there were not enough life jackets on the ship. Ha Ha Ha!!

I just kept going up the ladder till I got to the CEO Jack Williams and What do You know I had the booking confirmation and an apology.

Enjoy your cruise. Althought 4 in a cabin makes it very cramped.

Yes, the cabin in question is an assigned, numbered, cabin for 4 people. We have 2 cabins booked(one is a double and one is a quad) next to each other. I don't understand that if the bed is in the room, why can't we fill it?

I do plan to keep trying. I'm calling tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll be able to talk to a supervisor then.:confused:

Sher

Eample 12 life boats hold 150 each = max cap or 1800 people (paying pax). Now some will have 2 in a room, some 3, some 4 and some 1. As long as the total does not exceed the 1800 they can book you in the rooms. But mny of those who have booked only one person may end up with two while ones booked with three may drop to two. Once all rooms are booked they stop excepting booking until they do a count of how many are in each room (confirmed). So watch you sailing carefully and keep checking, it could change at anytime.

It is due to the lifeboat safety rules. You can not squeeze in one more person unless someone else leaves. Check with other sites as well you may have to change bookings if possible. Watch for timing (penilties) and if you cancel bookings if it will cost you. If you are booked with RC direct then just check other sites to see if you can get what you want and switch.

It doesnt matter how many the room will sleep because we have an owners suite. You are only allowed so many people on the ship. If they allow to many 3rd and 4th passengers on the ship they would have alot of empty cabins. Only makes sense that they would want to sell all the cabins at first and second passengers - means more money. Just watch for cancellations.

It is due to the lifeboat safety rules. You can not squeeze in one more person unless someone else leaves
I would understand this if the ship was booked full but it's not. You can still book available cabins.

It doesnt matter how many the room will sleep because we have an owners suite. You are only allowed so many people on the ship. If they allow to many 3rd and 4th passengers on the ship they would have alot of empty cabins. Only makes sense that they would want to sell all the cabins at first and second passengers - means more money. Just watch for cancellations.

Doesn't the number of beds in a room count as the number of passengers that the cabin can hold? I know there is a lot of space in an owner suite but if it only has 4 beds then 4 people, right?

This cabin has 4 beds(2 sets of bunkstyle). Why can't I fill that cabin? Can't a ship hold 1 person for each bed? Isn't there lifeboat accommodations for the full capacity?

I don't want to violate any safety regs but it seems to me that if a cabin has 4 beds the ship should be able to hold those 4 people.

I am trying to understand the points suggested but I would just basically think that if a cruiseship is built with 600 cabins and each cabin held 2 people that they could book that ship for 1,200 people. Our ship isn't full yet and they are declining to fill that space.

Sher

If a ship has 1000 cabins and the capacity of the ship is 3,000 even though every room may be able to sleep four only 3,000 passengers are allowed to sail. So they will only allow so many people to have more than two passengers.

If a ship has 1000 cabins and the capacity of the ship is 3,000 even though every room may be able to sleep four only 3,000 passengers are allowed to sail. So they will only allow so many people to have more than two passengers.

Cruise lines want to be able to sell every cabin, if they fill that amount with 3rd and 4th passangers they will have alot of staterooms empty

After reading this thread I immediately called and added my mom to our March 12 cruise. I don't know for sure if she is going but I think it will be easier to take her off than to add her on if this 3/4 rule comes into play for our cruise. Keep trying and good luck!

Cruise lines want to be able to sell every cabin, if they fill that amount with 3rd and 4th passangers they will have alot of staterooms empty

I understand that but I was under the impression that the 4 person cabins were specific cabins set up for 4 people and that not every room was configured this way. That maybe they only had 10 or 15 cabins that had the 4 person capacity, that is why we booked early and put the deposit for 1 of the kids to bring a friend. It never occured to me that I would have a problem booking that 4th spot if I needed to. I plan to keep calling. Most likely someone will cancel before the timing gets too close or I'll talk to a customer service rep that tells me what I want to hear.

Sher

Because you are cruising during peak spring break, there are probably a lot of cabins that usually are booked for 2 that have an extra person booked in them for this cruise. Most of the balcony cabins can hold 3, but on most cruises, only 2 people are booked in them. If this is the case, they have to balance the number of people as the total ship capacity is limited to a specific number.

The post stating that they want to sell the maximum # of cabins is correct. I'd hang in there, and you'll probably have a good chance of adding a 4th. Also would consider the fare for an inside for your daughter and friend. Quads are pretty tight. Did it with our 2 kids when they were young, would not go with a quad again now that they are in there teens. Would pursue this with RCI customer service. If they want to fill cabins, they may be willing to offer you a discounted rate to accomodate your wishes.

Ship's capacity is based on lower berths only. That's why currently many ships are sailing at 104% of capacity. An experienced travel agent can probably explain it better.

That is helpful. Also helps to explain why our Mariner cruise had almost 3600 passengers on it this spring at the height of spring break when the advertised capacity is 3200. The 3600 was confirmed by hotel director, room steward, and then the captain on formal night.

I just called rc and wanted to check the price of adding a 4th person in our cabin. We have 3 people in one cabin and my daughter wants to bring a friend.

I can't book anyone in that room because our cruise LOS 3/25/06 is on a 3/4 full rule. It was explained that by coast guard regulation they cannot book anyone else on the cruise because of weight regulations? Huh? Can someone explain this one to me? I'm lost!

Sher

How old is your daughter and her friend? The only weight issue regarding passenger count is related to child life jackets. They have to have enough child life jackets for 125% (I think) of the passengers booked that may need them.

Also, since they want to sell as many 1/2 berths as they can, a certain number of these jackets will be reserved for 1/2 berths until they're all sold out.

Additionally, even though it's not related to weight, the same applies to adult life jackets. They have to have sufficient on board, so if they're getting a lot of 3/4 passengers on a ship, they will restrict it until they sell more 1/2 berths.

How old is your daughter and her friend? The only weight issue regarding passenger count is related to child life jackets. They have to have enough child life jackets for 125% (I think) of the passengers booked that may need them.

They will be 16 at the time of the cruise so they probably aren't considered kids in the life jacket department. My ds and his friend are 13. They will be cramped but they're only in the room to change clothes and sleep. They won't be hanging out in there.

Sher

Did you say when you are cruising? We checked every week and third and fourth passangers did open up but we just decided to let the girls keep their own room because I think that it was only about $300.00 more for an inside cabin. It will give us an extra bathroom although I am hesitant about the girls having their own room. If for some reason they disobey any rules they will be grounded with us in our cabin.

BcHappyGal,

I do understand your father's predicament. He was in a cabin for 2 and paying 2x the price (ok, no fees for the 2nd person). I would also think if my father wanted to do what yours did, he should be allowed. But a third or fourth person is different. Most cabins are meant for 2 people. Adding extras might make it difficult for the cruise lines.

There have been times when I have seen sales on cruises, but they state only 2 people per cabin. That is of course, because others have used up the 3/4 cabin capacity. Wouldn't you have been more upset that your father, who was paying 2 full fares, couldn't have someone else in the room because a 4th person paying $400 or whatever was able to go instead of your cousin?

Katie

Did you say when you are cruising? We checked every week and third and fourth passangers did open up but we just decided to let the girls keep their own room because I think that it was only about $300.00 more for an inside cabin. It will give us an extra bathroom although I am hesitant about the girls having their own room. If for some reason they disobey any rules they will be grounded with us in our cabin.

We are going on our spring break, March 25, 06. I can't really book an additional cabin because there isn't another adjoining one available. I'm not really worried about the girls behavior, they are good kids and know to follow the rules. Plus, we set a curfew for them to be back in the cabin. I don't like them to stay up all night and then sleep all day. DD does have a friend coming along but she'll be in a cabin with her sister and brother. She wanted to have an additional friend since we had the 4 person cabin. I think it will work out. I'm checking every week to see if I can add the 4th person.

sherin65, the cabin does not have to be adjoining, it can be adjacent. After cruising in a quad with our kids a couple of times, we will stay home now if that is the only option available to us. Not only are you sharing a very tiny cabin, but also a very tiny bathroom. Two teenage girls and one bathroom to share can equal one very long and frustrating week.

What are your cabin categories? The non-suite categories range from 193 down to 138 square feet. The smallest cabin we have stayed in was 120 square feet, large enough for really only one person. The smallest cabin we shared with our kids was 172 sq.ft., it was quite the challenge, even with a balcony. If your cabin is smaller than 160 sq.ft., heed my warning and don't do it. It's worth the additional $300 for space and the use of your bathroom when you need it.

sherin65, the cabin does not have to be adjoining, it can be adjacent. After cruising in a quad with our kids a couple of times, we will stay home now if that is the only option available to us. Not only are you sharing a very tiny cabin, but also a very tiny bathroom. Two teenage girls and one bathroom to share can equal one very long and frustrating week.

We aren't in this cabin with the kids, they are next door. Even back in March during our first cruise with the kids along we knew to get them their own cabin. I know better than to try and share space with teenagers. Hmm, I wonder if we can afford to buy them the house next door? ;)

Archived