Another nails question

Mezzaluna

I wore acrylics for a few years, then suddenly began having bad reactions to the primer used for fills. I had to abandon them (intense itching on fingers, skin peeled!!) but would like to have nails put on for our Alaska cruise in July.

Has anyone used the silk nails or other types that use different chemicals from the ones used for acrylics? I am willing to pay more than the acrylics if I can get something. I haven't been to the nail salon for a couple of years or so.

Thanks!
Ann

Stella Solaris '80
Carnival Celebration '92
RCCL Majesty of the Seas '01
Coral Princess '04

You may want to go to the salon and ask them to do a skin test with a few different types of chemicals( silk, gel, glue, powder, etc.)Just put a little of each on a different finger and write down what is on which finger. See if you get a reaction. Good luck.
Missyal

What a great idea! I'll give it a shot.

Do any of you have experience with gel or silk? How are they alike/different from the acrylic powder?

Stella Solaris '80
Carnival Celebration '92
Coral Princess '04

I've never had acrylic nails as I always thought of them as unhealthy. I have always had natural nails, up until about 2 years ago. I started getting Bio Sculpture nails, a light cured gel product. I have only had a problem with one finger, the product has come off a couple times. But, underneath the product is my natural nail and it is not at all damaged. They do not have to "rough up" your natural nail to apply the gel.

Kathy

Kathy- Can you get these Bio Sculpture nails at any salon. They sound so much nicer, I tried the other salon nails and just didn't feel comfortable with them at all, but these sound different.
Cori

Cori - I don't think so. My nail tech has told me this is a product that is different from most. Maybe try the yellow pages in your area to find a salon that uses the product. I know it costs more than acrylic and other gel products, being close to the business for many years has made me leary of most artificial products.

Kathy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mezzaluna:
I wore acrylics for a few years, then suddenly began having bad reactions to the primer used for fills. I had to abandon them (intense itching on fingers, skin peeled!!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ann, this is exactly what happened to me!!! It took a while before I figured out what it was. I then found someone new who did acrylics without using the primer. There are different brands of acrylic powder -- some use primer, others don't. This worked great for me but new gal got pregnant and took maternity leave. I ended up going back to first gal and and having gels. Have had no problem. They look more natural (I do French manicure) than the acrylics ever did. HTH

2-14-04 Seabourn Legend
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;2;14;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

6-19-04 Disney Magic
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

3-19-05 Diamond Princess
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2005;3;19;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

I, too, wore acrylics for ages! Just recently the girls at the salon convinced me to change to gel. And I love them! I have no idea why I never went to gel, but now that I have them, they continually stay shiny and nice looking throughout the two week period. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;04;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
OUR NEXT ONWARD JOURNEY!

Thank you everyone for the great information! I know I can get gel nails at my salon. I really liked that place and hated to have to stop going. TootyJane, since you had the same experience with acrylics and have successfully switched to gels, I will do the same. I'm delighted!!!

Stella Solaris '80
Carnival Celebration '92
Coral Princess '04

JanetMarie, I had the exact same experience.

Have had acrylic nails for more years than I can remember. Went to a different salon because I couldn't get into my regular place (had a last minute emergency), and they took off all the acrylic and put on gel instead.

My nails looks so pretty, I decided to not get them polished.

I wish I'd switched a long time ago. They are slightly more expensive, but look so natural.

T

Can gel nails be put on very short nails or do you need a natural nail to adhere it to? Are they like the acrylics where they can form them and make them any length you want?

I have a major nail problem - usually just get manicures. I like my natural nails and I used to wear acrylic nails and they ruined my real nails. But, in the past week, 3 nails have cracked at the very side, where if I didn't file them down and cut them off all the way, they could've caught on something and tore straight across into the quick of my nail. So, should I have acrylic nails put on for my cruise on 6/20, or just have a manicure but have my nails painted clear? (I don't like colors on really short nails. Help, I have 3 days to get this done if I'm going to do it. Thanks!

Elaine, one reason I'm getting them put on is that I have one nail that consistently splits (ring finger). Also my thumbs are very weird-looking- rippled and flaky. My nails were not harmed by acrylics at all. I had no problems until I developed that sensitivity to the primer. Tomorrow I'm going to get an appointment- or if I'm lucky, they'll be able to get me in and I'll have pretty nails right away!

Ann

Stella Solaris '80
Carnival Celebration '92
Coral Princess '04

Archived