Spiros taxi Athens

To Mdeane,

We just returned from Athens last week. Spiros picked us up at the airport the day we arrived and took us to our hotel. We had arranged for two days post-cruise to go to Delphi and Cape Sounion, Ancient Corinth and the Corinth Canal and the Peloponnese Peninsula. It was an amazing two days. We had been in Athens before and didn't see these sights. He even took us to the new Olympic stadium which was breathtaking. Athens is a new city -- clean and beautiful since the Olympics. Spiros lived in NY for about 20 years and speaks perfect English (with a NY accent). We got along really great with him and would recommend him highly.

Sheila

I wrote the following review of Spiros Taxi after returning from our June 5, 2005 Brilliance cruise:

In May 2004, I booked a tour with Spiros Taxi for June 12 via e-mail and was assured by Spiros that he would be our driver. When I confirmed in February 2005, he actually called me in New York City to say that he had never received my first e-mail and he was already committed to someone else. Despite this inauspicious beginning, four of us took a tour with one of his English-speaking, non-smoking drivers, Michael. It was a bit of a squeeze for four average-sized adults in a Mercedes sedan, but we took turns riding in the front seat for a bit more room. Michael spoke English well, although sometimes his accent made him a little difficult to understand.

He took us to the Acropolis first, where we spent about 90 minutes. Unfortunately, he did not correct me when I stated that entrance fees are suspended on Sundays (true only through the first Sunday in June) so we wasted some time waiting to get in before purchasing our tickets (12 Euros for entrance to several sites). He also failed to tell us that large backpacks are not allowed, so we had to check them rather than leaving them in the car. The Acropolis turned out to be my favorite single site to visit and we managed to see everything including the museum during our allotted time. (We also managed to beat most of the tour groups, which made it much less crowded than it was on our way out.) I highly recommend carrying water, because although the temperatures were in the high 70s, there is little shade and the sun was strong.

After that, we visited an 11th century monastery, the stadium used for the 1896 Olympic games, the Temple of Zeus, the changing of the guards at the tomb of the unknown soldier, and took a cable car up to the top of Lycabettus Hill, the highest point overlooking the city, for some terrific views. We ended the tour in the Plaka, where we had about and hour and 15 minutes to eat and do some shopping. On the way back to the port, he took us to a point where we could oversee the yacht harbor and club.

Overall, I would recommend Spiros Taxi, as long as you insist on a non-smoking, English speaking driver. If smoking does not bother you, Spiros’ choice of drivers is probably greater, as it often seems as if everyone in Greece smokes. I thought the tour was worth the 220 Euros plus tip for four people, and we managed to fit in a lot of places during our 8-hour tour. It would, of course, be much more comfortable if there were a maximum of three people, but if you get along with your tour mates, as we were lucky to, it shouldn’t be a problem.

We just got off the Grand Princess last Thursday. We used Spiros for the second time at our stop in Athens. Last year he took us and another couple on a full day tour of Athens and the Sounian coast when we were on the Millennium. We had a great time and we booked him again this year for our stop at Athens for an alternative tour. This year we skipped Athens itself and spent the entire day touring the Pelopennese area, stopping at the Cornith Canal, Ancient Corinth, Epidaurus, and ancient Mycenae. We stopped for lunch on the water in the town of Naphali (spelling?). As he was last year, Spiros was a delight. His Mercedes is immaculate and I recommend him highly. We tried to find another couple to share the tour but were unable since I could not find anyone who had previously been to Athens and wanted to see something other than the Acropolis. Spiros is also very prompt in responding to emails.

We used Paul at admin@***** for two separate full day trips when we were in Athens for a week with friends in April. She & her family (total 11 people) returned to Athens two weeks ago on a cruise and she used Paul again. He has a brand new Mercedes van (he's had it only a few months) that seats quite a few (11 or 13) and I am sure you'd be really comfortable in that. Paul was an excellent driver and I have booked him for a cruise my mother & aunt are taking next year. He lived in New Jersey for many years & his English is excellent & his vehicles are non-smoking. I'd recommend him in a heartbeat! :D

We just returned from the same Grand Princess Cruise and used a Spiros driver, named Demetrius. He was very knowledgeable and did a fine job of showing us the sights. We asked to see a lot and he got it all in and got us back to the ship in plenty of time.

Yes it was crowded in the back seat but not unbearable. Besides we were in and out of the car so much that the time spent in the back seat was minor. I liked that as a cab driver, Demetrius was more than that -- He was educated and had books and was able to thorougly explain the area and the history. He even had change ready when the other lady and myself had to go to the rest room at Acropolis and there was a 50 cent charge.

All of the private tours we booked were good. And Athens with Demetrius of Spiro's was no exception.

• 4 weeks later...

We recently used Spiro's during out cruise September 2005. The driver was great and prompt. We saw many places that we would not have seen on the ship's tours. We hit the Acropolis first, then the Plaka. We also caught the changing of the guard at the Palace. A stop at the Monastery was really nice. Lunch at a restaurant on the beach then a stop at Sounion. The whole day worked out perfectly and we had no trouble getting back to the ship on time. We would definetly use them again.

We recently used Spiro's during out cruise September 2005. The driver was great and prompt. We saw many places that we would not have seen on the ship's tours. We hit the Acropolis first, then the Plaka. We also caught the changing of the guard at the Palace. A stop at the Monastery was really nice. Lunch at a restaurant on the beach then a stop at Sounion. The whole day worked out perfectly and we had no trouble getting back to the ship on time. We would definetly use them again.

We were on the same cruise as jerseyblue. We had booked with Sprios a few months in advance. He did tell us up front that he was personally booked, but guarenteed a driver named, Petros. We were picked up promptly by GEORGE!! He said he didn't even know who Petros was. We had also emailed and confirmed a number of times with Spiros the specific itinerary that we wanted including Sounion. George told us there was NO WAY we could see Athens and Sounion in one day. I had him phone Spiros and Spiros confirmed that there would not be enough time to do both. We were disappointed, but what could we do? George DID SMOKE and talked on his cell phone most of the time. We (a group of 8 of us) booked private tours in most ports and Spiros is the only one that we would NOT use again.

Just another point of view.

Archived