Embarkation with mix of nationalities

KatieBug28

Hey all!

I have kind of a strange question, but hang on while I give a little background. We are all Americans (me, DH and two DDs), but my youngest DD has dual citizenship and travels on a Canadian passport. I've noticed during prior cruises that there is a different line at embarkation for those who are not traveling on US passports. My question is, how does that work with our family? Do we all go to the US line? Or do we all go with younger DD to the Canadian line?

I should mention, we are sailing from Long Beach and have FTTF, so maybe it doesn't even matter?

How old is she and where is her birth certificate from? Do you have anything showing her US citizenship? If so, I'd do that and just not use her passport at check in.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that! I'm just so used to needing her passport when we go anywhere. We'll still need it to get to Cali, but I guess I don't have to use it to check in. Her birth certificate is Canadian, but I do have a "Consular Report of a Birth Abroad" from the US consulate here. I wonder if that might work.

I have to admit, there was a small part of me that was hoping we could go through the Canadian line - it has always seemed much shorter in the past ;)

My family and I all travel with Canadian passports. We have never been in a different embarkation line. No one has ever suggested that we should be and I haven't noticed any Canadian in a different line. We Canadians are easy to spot...we usually have a a Roots tee shirt or HBC bag in the group along with the little flag. 😄 I remember on our first cruise about 10 years ago, they kept our passports and we had to pick them up on the second last day. I really didn't like that and was pleased that it didn't happen on our second cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The US requires that all US citizens travel in and out of the US as US citizens, so if your DD is Dual US/Canadian, then she should use her US citizenship to enter and leave the US

Edited by uksimonusa

The US requires that all US citizens travel in and out of the US as US citizens, so if your DD is Dual US/Canadian, then she should use her US citizenship to enter and leave the US

We have not found this to be the case. She always uses her Canadian passport to enter and leave the US, and has never had an issue. She actually doesn't have a US passport, though she does have other documents to prove her citizenship. I think they prefer that you use a US passport if you have one, but they have never even mentioned it in all the times we have crossed the border.

Does anybody have an answer to the question as to which line we go in?

As I've already replied, my family and I cruise frequently with Canadian passports and have never, every been told to go in another line. I haven't noticed anyone being sent to another line. There a number of Europeans on board as well.

As I've already replied, my family and I cruise frequently with Canadian passports and have never, every been told to go in another line. I haven't noticed anyone being sent to another line. There a number of Europeans on board as well.

I'm so sorry Karlou, I somehow missed your earlier post! I think you replied as I was answering another poster. Thank you! Sounds like maybe the separate lines are something they have phased out over the years. Yay!

You daughter has duel citizenship, get a U.S. passport. Why do you need the Canadian one?

Uh, because I live in Canada? And it is much easier to get a Canadian passport since I can just apply at my local city offices, instead of taking time off of work to book a long weekend trip to the US consulate, which is only open 4 hours a day and requires that you book an appointment months in advance. Especially since I already have proof of her US citizenship, and don't need any other documents. If I want to get home, I need my whole family to travel with our Canadian documents, and for her, that's a passport, since they don't issue work visas for 1-year-olds.

You daughter has duel citizenship, get a U.S. passport. Why do you need the Canadian one?

Skrufy, I want to apologize. I realize I got a little heated in my last post, and I'm so sorry. I was frustrated about something else and you ended up being the brunt of it. I know you were trying to be helpful and I really appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question! I am so grateful for all the help fellow CC members have given me. I sincerely apologize for being a snarky jerk when I replied to you! You caught me on an off day. Thank you for your help!

I have seen the seperate lines, NYC had them. I am American, have a US passport, DH is Canadian, he has a Canadian passport, kids have duel citizenship, but have Canadian passports (we all live in Canada), they all had to go through the "non US citizen" line and I went through the US line. When we were sailing out of Tampa and docked after our cruise, all non US citizens had to be in the theater at 630am to go through immigration (this was the only port so far that had this set up), I stayed in bed and slept and he took the kids down to the theater:D.

I have seen the seperate lines, NYC had them. I am American, have a US passport, DH is Canadian, he has a Canadian passport, kids have duel citizenship, but have Canadian passports (we all live in Canada), they all had to go through the "non US citizen" line and I went through the US line. When we were sailing out of Tampa and docked after our cruise, all non US citizens had to be in the theater at 630am to go through immigration (this was the only port so far that had this set up), I stayed in bed and slept and he took the kids down to the theater:D.

Thanks for the info Kelly! I know they had the separate lines when we cruised out of NOLA and Miami, but I can't remember if they have them in Long Beach or not. I'm hoping that if we have FTTF we won't have to worry about it. I guess we'll find out! My DD is the only one with a Canadian passport, and I'm assuming they won't want a 2-year-old going through customs alone ;) So hopefully we can stay together! But if not, we'll figure something out!

In long beach I've never noticed a separate embarkation like, just disembarkation.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams)

my-cruise-countdown.aspx?dat=01%2F29%2F2015&dest=M&ship=IMMy Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to Mexico on 01/29/2015 aboard the Carnival Imagination! Visit Carnival.com to see all Mexico cruises.

My husband had an Indian passport when we cruised out of Miami in 2010 for our honeymoon. We both used the non-us passport line and there were lots of Canadian passports in line with us. That's what they directed us to do when we arrived. Maybe it's changed since 2010? If you ask at arrival they will direct your whole family to the correct line together.

Edited to add: we did have to do separate lines when we disembarked and met back outside after going through customs.

Edited by dsain
Added disembark info

My family and I all travel with Canadian passports. We have never been in a different embarkation line. No one has ever suggested that we should be and I haven't noticed any Canadian in a different line. We Canadians are easy to spot...we usually have a a Roots tee shirt or HBC bag in the group along with the little flag. 😄 I remember on our first cruise about 10 years ago, they kept our passports and we had to pick them up on the second last day. I really didn't like that and was pleased that it didn't happen on our second cruise.

We are Canadian too! I've never been sent to a different line. Last year I wore my Toronto Blue Jays shirt and I got all kind of comments on Rob Ford!!