Lightning strike on the NA last week

AACJ

Hi im new to this not sure if i have wrote in the right box or not; my uncle worked on the british architect and was on the ship when it got hit by lightening, he did have a magazine of the ship with it damaged but he lost it, does anybody have any pictures of this ship in tact and damaged? thankyou x

June 1970. The BP tanker BRITISH ARCHITECT on passage in the Pacific during tank cleaning... and not yet gas free. Struck by lightning opened up the main deck as a sardine can! The ship was abandoned. Within a day the crew were rescued, but a small crew managed get the ship into port. Later to be repaired and back into service.

A year later I was on a large tanker, the WARWICK FORT. In the Indian Ocean... full cargo of crude oil was hit by lightning but thankfully but minimal damage.

Hi do you have any more info or pictures on this ship, my uncle was on this ship when it got hit by lightening, and he lost his newspaper clippings and magazine that they brought out when it happened, thankyou x

On our embarkation day two Sundays ago, we took off it was raining pretty hard. While I was sitting on our balcony enjoying the rain and lightning storms, a bolt of lightning clapped to what appeared to me to be within 100 feet of the ship (we were on the port side, closer to aft). The thunder was IMMEDIATE and the hair on my arms were standing straight up.

About two minutes later, the Captain came on the loudspeaker and said lightning was close but did not hit the ship. About 4 or 5 minutes later, he came back on and said we did in fact take a lightning strike. He also said it took out one of the strings of lights that goes from the antenna area to the smoke stacks AND one of the satellite receivers was demolished.

The next day, we went up to the top deck a bit later and saw that the center receiver (one of those golf ball looking things on a golf tee on the top of the ship) was gone.

Pretty scary stuff!

Yes -- it can be scary.

We have been on quite a few ships that were hit by lightning. Thankfully no major damage.