Is bigger really better?

tbelian

Taken from today's "Headlines":

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/08/19/supersize.cruise.ships.ap/index.html

And mentions Cruise Critic right here:

"But Miriam Romain loves giant vessels because she's able to play miniature golf and people-watch. Romain, a 45-year-old from Chicago who hosts an online forum on CruiseCritic.com, gets excited just talking about these ships. She says there's a never-ending list of activities -- art auctions, bar hopping, people watching."

We cruised on the Mariner of the Seas last February and though she's a beautiful ship with loads of activities on board, I felt like I was in a shopping mall and there were TOO many people. I'll stay with the Millie or Radiance class from now on (unless a deal comes along that's too fantastic to pass up).

Garry

Is bigger really better? Absolutely not. At least in my opinion. OUt of 5 cruises on Celebrity of 18 total, none topped Horizon for DR food or service.

Agree, the Voyager class, although amazing vessels, has that Mall of America feel. I guess I'll be looking at Zenith and Century in the future unless there is a particularily good deal on a Radiance class (the prettiest ships I've seen).

I agree that bigger isn't better, but it does make more money for the cruise line.

I like the Zenith, and we loved the Xpedition. Next cruise on the Clipper Odyssey.......only 5000 tons..........can't wait.

Agree bigger isn't better. Our upcoming Infinity cruise will be our first on a ship capable of over (barely) 2000 passengers. That was where I kind of "set the line", but I want to try Celebrity.

I hope I don't feel like a number instead of a valued customer, and don't experience a lot of long lines and lack of access to the pools, etc.

We have been on the smaller ships (Horizon, Nordic Empress, Majesty, Legend, and Splendour and even the SeaDreamI (4,000 tons) and we definitely prefer the larger ships such as Celebrity's M-Class and RCCL's Radiance class.

There are just so many more activities and entertainment options, more food options, the decor and layouts seem better and more attractive, there is less motion, and in my opinion, the smaller ships seem more crowded because of their design. The Thalassotherapy pool on Celebrity and the Solarium Pool on RCCL are great, and the fitness centers are also much larger. The cabins are also generally larger on the large new ships.

On the larger ships, I've never felt like just a number or that I was in a mall. To be fair, though, we haven't sailed on the Voyager class ships yet.

Allen

Archived