Strapless?

Help! I need some fashion advice. I found a great bargain for a formal gown after prom season. It is a beautiful, strapless full length gown that I got for only $16 (regularly $80). I found it with the prom dresses, but it is just a simple, straight, somewhat beaded gown that I thought was beautiful and appropriate for the cruise. I am a 34 year old and am a bit concerned about looking like I'm attending the prom. Are strapless dresses a sign of a prom dress? Are strapless dresses appropriate for the cruise? I don't want to stand out as a fashion faux paus!

And, you know what ? Strapless dresses are more flattering than you would think.

When I was wedding dress shopping (a little over 2 years ago), I was dead set against a strapless wedding dress because I thought I was too fat or would look fat. Every time I tried one on, it looked so much better than the dresses with sleeves ! I didn't end up getting a sleeveless dress (spaghetti strap instead) but I no longer rule strapless dresses out.

I think your dress sounds elegant and just right for the cruise icon_wink.gif

- Yvette

Explorer of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;8;15;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

It sounds perfect to me...go for it!

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

Sovereign of the Seas

I think it will be fine. I am going to say, that as a person who attends many wedding (I'm a musician) I don't think strapless is all that flattering. It tends to do nothing for the bust line. It does show off great shoulders and arms, but for those with extra fat under their arms and sides, it can make them look bigger. The straight across line doesn't give a look of length to the torso- some may want that, I don't! Also, you see women constantly pulling at them, walking funny in them, bending over holding on to them....etc, etc. I've seen one go down , too, when the bride knelt. I was at the piano in the front, but the minister and I got a good shot, LOL. This rant is aimed at the fashion industry- give us old gals more choices with a little more coverage,thank you!

Grandeur 6/98

Sovereign 3/00

Jubilee 1/02

Voyager6/02

Navigator 1/03

Sensation 4/03

Enchantment 9/03

Mariner 1/04

When I bought my gown I thought it was salmon but it is actually a dark pink. I bought silver strapless shoes to go with it. You have all made me feel so much better about my purchase. Being new to cruising, I started reading the message boards about all the dress codes and I panicked about being inappropriate. I hadn't considered a strapless dress before, but I did find that it was much more flattering than I expected. Although I had not thought about it possibly falling down! Now I will be paranoid about that. I am looking forward to the opportunity to dress up. Thank you all for your encouragement!!

Vicki

It sounds lovely. If it fits properly it won't fall down. You can jump around, dance, stretch, etc. to check just to be on the safe side. I do that alot in front of my bedroom mirror to check things out!

You can always buy some fashion tape if you are really worried that it will fall. I also bought a strapless formal dress for my cruise and ran around the house doing regular things yesterday and it never even slipped like it was going to fall. If it fits well enough, you shouldnt have a problem, but if it is a little loose, the fashion tape is great!

Carnival Victory, here I come!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

There's a roll-on, water-based product called "It Stays". I use it to hold up knee-high stockings. I got it from one of the companies that sells support hose. It goes for about $6.95 a bottle and lasts a long time. You can use it to hold straps up, etc. It rinses off with water and washes out of clothing, too. That would work for a strapless dress, I'm sure.

Here is a website that sells it as a wig adhesive. Their price is a bit higher though.

This one is cheaper.

Stella Solaris '80

Carnival Celebration '92

RCCL Majesty of the Seas '01

Coral Princess '04

Vicki,

Your dress sounds lovely. Only potential challenge is the air conditioning. You might consider bringing a dressy shawl, stole, sweater, or jacket just in case. The air conditioning on board ships seems more suited to the gentlemen in suits than the ladies in bare dresses on formal night!

Have a great cruise.

Carol Louise

Archived