formal wear for a 11 year old??????

berly369

I am facing the same-my daughter turns 10 on our cruise and is in that "tween" stage with clothing. My daughter and I also do not care for the lack of modesty that most dresses in her size range offer (not that the teen dresses are any better). I have a couple of suggestions that have served us well over the past month (and the resulting rush of graduation invitations).

1.Check out Goodwill stores-I have found several lovely dresses that appeared to only have been worn once or twice. With the cost savings, if they are dry clean only I still end up ahead.

2.I purchased a small sized women's summer dress (elasticized tank top style) at Walmart. I took the portion of fabric that was left over from hemming and ran another hem around it-with two small loops sewed one on each shoulder I was able to make a scarf/cape that dressed it up quite a bit.

Beyond that I would'nt go out and buy anything she could'nt get additional wear out of. Most of the young ladies on board are dressed in what you would wear to a nice restaurant or to church.

Don't have a daughter that age, but I have noticed when shopping that there are some really lovely chiffony type skirts out there this year in beautiful floral patterns, perhaps you could get one in a small ladies size and put a soft sleeveless blouse with it same delicate jewelery and some pretty sandals and she is set to go.

Cori

What I have noticed what others had their children wearing was pretty much the taffeta and velvet "Christmas dresses" or else the lighter dressy materials you see for "Easter dresses". That is girls.For boys the little "Christmas" or "Easter" suits.

My daughter is 11-almost 12 and we're leaving on July 11th-Carnival Inspiraton. She's 5'3 already and is in junior sizes. I searched the clearance prom dresses at JC Penney's and bought her a beautiful gown that she'll get a huge kick out of wearing. I paid $50 for it. I would have liked to have found something for less $$ but I was getting nervous about having enough time for possible alterations. The 2nd formal night she's wearing one of those chiffon-like skirt/top sets. It's youthful and pretty, not over the top. Bon voyage!

I have just the opposite problem my 9 yrs old who will be just shy of 10 when we go on the cruise has just hit 50 pounds with shoes jacket and all of her close on, she is in a size 6 or 6X slim I can't find any nice styles for her in those sizes she is also very short only 49 inches tall, however her sister who will be 7 on our cruise weighs about 78lbs is 52 inches tall and wears a size 8-10 depends on the style of clothes any suggestion where to find something for my 9 yrs old in that size 6 or 6X?

Try the sale racks in bridal stores as the styles are a bit more modest. Try David's Bridals online. These stores usually carry flower girl and junior bridesmaid styles. Also try e-bay. There are some great bargains and many sellers include or will provide, if asked, specific measurements of the garment or a size chart from the manufacturer. Try the JC Penney catalogue. Do you know anyone who sews? You and your daugther can pick out the pattern, some beautiful fabric and trim and customize the look, perhaps make a matching shawl/poncho. An good seamstress can even leave a bit of extra room in the seam allowances and hem so she can "let out" the dress a bit as she grows so you can get an extra season/cruise or two out of your investment. You can change the look the second time around with different trim, buttons, accessories or shawl. Or you can make two piece outfits and dress them up or down by mixing the pieces with a more casual skirt, pants, jacket, etc. If you don't have a friend or family member who sews or another recommendation, you could try asking the alterations person at your drycleaner or ask for a ecommendation from him/her or from a home-ec (do they still call it that?) teacher at your local high school or collage.

Try the sale racks in bridal stores as the styles are a bit more modest. Try David's Bridals online. These stores usually carry flower girl and junior bridesmaid styles. Also try e-bay. There are some great bargains and many sellers include or will provide, if asked, specific measurements of the garment or a size chart from the manufacturer. Try the JC Penney catalogue. Do you know anyone who sews? You and your daugther can pick out the pattern, some beautiful fabric and trim and customize the look, perhaps make a matching shawl/poncho. A good seamstress can even leave a bit of extra room in the seam allowances and hem so she can "let out" the dress a bit as she grows so you can get an extra season/cruise or two out of your investment. You can change the look the second time around with different trim, buttons, accessories or shawl. Or you can make two piece outfits and dress them up or down by mixing the pieces with a more casual skirt, pants, jacket, etc. If you don't have a friend or family member who sews or another recommendation, you could try asking the alterations person at your drycleaner or ask for a ecommendation from him/her or from a home-ec (do they still call it that?) teacher at your local high school or college.

My son and daughter have sailed with us several times. My daughter has worn church dresses, cute sundresses that have been found on clearance racks, or even borrowed from friends. One year she had just been in a junior brides maid in a wedding and that dress worked great. JCPenny's has many chiffon type dresses for less than $25 that are very pretty and appropriate for formal or semi formal dining. The children do not normally dress as formal as the adults. I have never packed a suit or tux for my son. On formal nights he will wear a long sleeve dress shirt and tie with a nice pair of dress pants. Children can dress and look very nice for not a lot of money. I think the most important part of the children in the dining room is their behavior and table manners. Children who behave well are always pleasant to look at....even in their borrowed or bargained outfits.

Hi, Ladies,

My BabyCakes (Jennifer is turning 13 this month - sniff-sniff). My GrandBaby is now almost 6 foot tall but only weighs 122 lb. :eek: She is a Prima Ballerina.

Her first sailing to Bermuda on the Old Pacific Princess - she was only 9. Her Mom found her a beautiful lightweight, Navy Blue, velvet long gown. She wore different stoles, jewelery, and accessories for the 2 Formal Nights.

My daughter gave me a lightweight velvet, long skirt with a matching jacket with ruffles on the sleeves of self fabric. I use this for both nights and just change sequined or sparkly tops, jewelery, and accessories.

These fabrics pack well, take up little space and weight, and do not show wrinkles. I think that the black skirt for little girls, when paired with pastel tops, either solid or print with beading or sequins is perfect for a young lady. ;)

The Thrift Shops have a lot of good things, and they have always been dry cleaned. My daughter gives wonderful, expensive clothing, monthly, to the Goodwill.

Have fun shopping. She will enjoy dressing up cute. :D

Archived