Cruising after hip replacement surgery

Ineke

Not sure if this is the right forum or not, but here goes. I had a total hip replacement 6 weeks ago. At this time it seems unlikely that I will be returning to full-time work until the new year (work in a school), so DH and I are considering a 'recuperative' cruise in December.

I'd love some input about the feasibility and ramifications of doing this 2 months post-op? Wondering about both the flight to and from Florida plus considerations for the cruise. I'd appreciate any advice.

We were investigating this because my spouse was to have the same surgery in September, now postponed until after our cruise.

I would ask your surgeon/his staff about opinion/advice for a long flights. That is probably the key issue to manage - to avoid blood clots.

The cruise part should be fine. If I were you, I would look for a stateroom with shower only (no tub to climb into.) The Celebrity Solstice-class ships have wonderful showers, while Holland America ships often have a shower/tub combo - just as two examples.

You would also want to be extra-careful if your ship will be tendering - not docking - in some ports. If the tender is rocking too much, it could be dicey boarding it.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Not sure if this is the right forum or not, but here goes. I had a total hip replacement 6 weeks ago. At this time it seems unlikely that I will be returning to full-time work until the new year (work in a school), so DH and I are considering a 'recuperative' cruise in December.

I'd love some input about the feasibility and ramifications of doing this 2 months post-op? Wondering about both the flight to and from Florida plus considerations for the cruise. I'd appreciate any advice.

Though I personally have never had such surgery, the person I cruise regularly with did. Twice in fact. Every situation is different therefore you should discuss it with your doctor first. My friend was in good shape overall before the surgery and had prepared for the surgery by exercising and loosing weight. Continued with therapy after the surgery. Therefore her recovery progressed faster than normal. Because the cruise would have required a four hour flight that doctor recommended that she wait 3 months before flying.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had hip replacement surgery. First of all ONLY your doctor can really give you the go ahead. Sure you can decide this on your own but you may not be considering this: The hip replacement components, especially the one in your leg bone are healing and knitting around the implant. You really do NOT want to compromise that in any way. Your doctor will know if it's healed enough to travel. Most likely you'll need wheelchair service to and from the plane and from the port of embarkation to the ship. I would rent a scooter from cruise care or someone like them. And make sure you get a handicap room and/or a stool for the shower. Your doctor may have other medications for you to take like antibiotics. You'll have to take them before you get your teeth cleaned anyway.

Let us know how you make out

Edited by ProfessorEFFE