Bus service from Lisbon to Madrid

4774Papa

We booked a Douro River cruise and want to spend some pre or post days in Madrid.

Apparently, the only train from Lisbon to Madrid or reverse is a night train and from cc posts, it appears that that train may be cancelled by 2016.

I found some bus companies that go between the cities. Don't want to fly.

Has anyone used a bus company between the cities?

The company Alsa, http://www.alsa.es , offers coach bus transport. I have traveled many times in Spain on buses from this company and find them comfortable, however have never traveled for such a long trip. I noticed that the buses also depart at night and take close to 9 hrs. Maybe you could consider traveling and staying overnight in another city in Spain and breaking the trip in two (at least that's what I would do).

If you dont mind me asking, why dont you want to fly between the two cities?

Edited by cruiseluv

Also wondering about air. There are airfares as low as about $51 (one way) and its a quick flight. Although we understand that all air flights involve lots of hassles, it makes a lot of sense on this route. At one time we would have also recommended getting a one-way rental car (about a 6 hour drive) but the rental car situation in Europe now makes it difficult and/or very expensive to do one-way rentals between countries. Ironically, one-way rentals were a lot easier (and cheaper) before they created the EU. Go figure.

By the way, this route is a good example how rail travel does not always work in Europe.

Hank

Also wondering about air. There are airfares as low as about $51 (one way) and its a quick flight. Although we understand that all air flights involve lots of hassles, it makes a lot of sense on this route. At one time we would have also recommended getting a one-way rental car (about a 6 hour drive) but the rental car situation in Europe now makes it difficult and/or very expensive to do one-way rentals between countries. Ironically, one-way rentals were a lot easier (and cheaper) before they created the EU. Go figure.

By the way, this route is a good example how rail travel does not always work in Europe.

Hank

DOn't want to fly. Fares are cheap, but flying is a hassle and the baggage limits would be another issue.

Checked on one way car rental. Cost was about $500. Too much.

DOn't want to fly. Fares are cheap, but flying is a hassle and the baggage limits would be another issue.

Checked on one way car rental. Cost was about $500. Too much.

We hear ya....when it comes to one-way rentals. It is a problem throughout Europe since the rental car franchisees in different countries refuse to work together to benefit consumer. Yes, using air is a hassle (as we said in our other post) but it is the best option. An overnight long uncomfortable train ride is not really a nice way to travel. Perhaps you will find a decent bus, but even buses have a big problem when it comes to moving between countries. Although the EU is theoretically united, each country has many of its own rules (and active labor unions) which impact inter-country bus travel.

As to baggage limits, we are (unfortunately) aware of the problems. It is actually possible to spend more for baggage fees then airline tickets. But in your case the airlines (take a good look at Iberia) might be the best of the lousy options.

I should mention another rental car trick which we have used, but not between Spain and Portugal. It is to a one-way rental to a city close to the border, use a taxi or public transport to get across the border,,,and then rent a 2nd one-way rental in the next country. This avoids inter-country drop fees...but is even a bigger hassle then just taking the plane.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

My advice would be to forget Madrid this trip and spend the time in and around Lisbon. It is not worth the long journey.

I have been to Madrid before, as well as Lisbon, but DW has not.

Also, our Douro River cruise with Vantage includes three days in Lisbon before the cruise.

When I run the air ticket on kayak and build in a four day stop over in Madrid, the cost runs over $150 pp.

If the night train is still running, we may do that, or as you advised, spend more time in Lisbon, perhaps visiting the Algarve and some of the cities South and East of Lisbon that won't be included in the Vantage trip.

If the night train is still running, we may do that, or as you advised, spend more time in Lisbon, perhaps visiting the Algarve and some of the cities South and East of Lisbon that won't be included in the Vantage trip.

Portugal is an amazing and magical country with so much to see. Some cities can easily compete with Madrid. Some of our favourites:

Sintra

Obidos

Coimbra

Roman ruins in Conimbraga

Porto

Batalha

Guimaraes

Mafra

Evora

Alcobaca

Aveiro

Templars' Monastery in Tomar

Bom Jesus do Monte in Braga

border town of Elvas with Napoleonic fortifications

Casa de Mateus near Vila Real

The pilgrimage town of Fatima (almost as well known as and on the scale of Lourdes)

The statue garden of Castelo Branco

If you want beach, you don't have to go all the way to the Algarve. There are good beaches around Lisbon too, such as Sesimbra, Setubal, Estoril, Cascais or Figueira da Foz.

Edited by UKBayern