Venice - Transportation to Rail Station

Ithaca

We are planning on cruising on the Wind, Athens to Venice, arriving on June 5, 2015. What would be the venue and estimated cost of transportation to the railway station? What would be the difference between a water taxi (never taken one) and a vaporetto (idem)? Any other option? Thanks!

In 2011, after collecting our luggage from the dock we took a bus ( supplied by Regent) to the railway station.

We had a bit of a wait for people collecting luggage and boarding the bus but were in no great hurry so it wasn't a problem.

We were staying in Venice for 2weeks so at the station we collected our Venice card and jumped on a vaporetto. :)

Just a comment which may or may not be relevant. I just saw on the news yesterday that Venice has decided to ban dragging luggage on rollers through the streets because of noise and damage to the streets. The fine is 500 euros. So, whatever you do, carry, don't roll, your luggage.

Well, that is interesting! People schlep luggage through Venice all the time! I'm wondering if they have enough carbinieri to enforce that?!

Anyway, back to your main question.Venice is complicated! There are a number of docks/berths in Venice. San Basilio is the best. But there are three berths in SB. The first one is closest to the terminal and the best. The first time we docked in Venice we docked there. Even our hotel commented "that is the best berth in Venice." This past September, on our first stop in Venice, we were in the third berth. Good location, but about a 5 to 10 minute walk to exit through the terminal. Right outside the terminal are the water taxis and the vaporetto (bus). You buy a ticket for the bus (Vap) at the newstand opposite the stop (which is San Basilio). It's a few stops to get to the train station (Santa Lucia, I believe). But WRIPRO is correct--the Vap is a water bus, basically, and it is a pain in the neck to haul luggage on and off. A water taxi is much more civilized. You can walk to the train station from SB, but it's about 15-20 minutes over sidewalks and up and over bridges.

This past September, we were in Venice twice on Silversea. The first time at the 3rd berth at SB, and the 2nd time at the Maritimma port, which is much further down. A schlep (10 minute walk) to actually get to the water shuttle, and water taxi. This is the dock near the infamous people mover, which goes to the train station. If you are docked there, you can walk (10-5 minutes) to the people mover, and then take that directly to the train station, which is across the street from where it drops you.

Hope the above make sense. If you need a land taxi to get to the airport, that's a whole other subject.

You mention the train station, so I assume you are going somewhere other than the airport after your cruise?

Hope that helps!

Herman, thanks for the valuable information. It will become very helpful if we decide on the trip. We've been to Venice before...almost 30 years ago! Time to return, but I'll have to make sure that we'll be comfortable and not arrested (!) Miss you on the pool, Duct Tape!

OMG! I cannot carry my luggage; I do not travel too lightly (one suitcase filled to the brim). I may have to pass up on this cruise...rats! I'll talk to my TA. Thanks for the heads-up!!

Are you joking or are you seriously considering canceling the cruise instead of taking a water taxi?

Are you joking or are you seriously considering canceling the cruise instead of taking a water taxi?

Not joking, but absolutely not for paying a water taxi. We would still have to carry our luggage to the hotel, and if the roller ban passes... Hopefully it won't.

When we sailed out of Venice on SilverSea several years ago, the ship was docked across the Judica Canal from the Hilton (which is a great place to stay, by the way). The only way to reach the ship was by water taxi, which took all of fifteen seconds. The fare was a mere 50 euros (yikes). Although the hotel has a shuttle boat, they couldn't take us across the canal because it would infringe upon the water taxi monopoly. If that is where you will disembark, that may be your only option unless the ship has a transportation deal.

The water taxi monopoly is most likely behind the push for the failed ordinance.

Two summers ago we solved the conundrum by chartering a water taxi for sightseeing followed by a drop-off at the pier. The price was not significantly more than a point-to-point fare from our hotel, gave us an hour of private sightseeing and I did not feel fleeced. It was one of the best experiences of the vacation and we hadn't even boarded the ship. Note - If you use a water taxi for point-to-point service, it will take the most direct route which might not be all that scenic.

I also completely agree that the vaporettos are horribly overcrowded and not really suited for luggage transport. The thrifty side of me will also tell you that vaporettos are the most overpriced "buses" in the world, and they are neither comfortable nor romantic.

One of the previous posters suggested a bus took them from the port to the railway station. I wasn't aware the Venice Sta. Lucia station was accessible by road. Doesn't it still require carrying one's luggage over a pedestrian bridge with many steps? Perhaps the bus took the passengers to the Venice Mestre station on the mainland.

Edited by johnnycruise

Not joking, but absolutely not for paying a water taxi. We would still have to carry our luggage to the hotel, and if the roller ban passes... Hopefully it won't.

Most hotels have a dock for water taxis so you wouldn't have to carry your luggage at all.

By the way, what would you do for transportation in London or Paris or New York? A water taxi won't be significantly different in coast and is a pittance compared to the price of the cruise. Oh well, Venice will survive.

I did say I had no objection to the cost of the taxi, my objection was to the ban on rolling luggage. Unless I get assurance that a water taxi will deposit me in the railway station. However, we decided that - barring the ban - we would stay two days in Venice in a hotel with a water taxi dock. By the way, even though we stay at the Bristol in Vienna and the GB in Athens, we do not at all mind rolling our luggage. Oh, well.