NCL Pearl rock climbing wall

snorkelinggirl

Was on the Pearl to Alaska in the summer. The rock climbing wall was operational, but it had limited hours; it was only open about 3-4hrs/day, in 2x 1-2hr sessions. On our cruise, it was never open past 5pm. If you want a try, you need to get there early to get in line.

I believe there were 3 lines; 2 easy and 1 more difficult. It took about 5 minutes to get to the top. Experienced rock climbers may be disappointed. It's fun to do once or twice, but beyond that, it's not really worth it to plan your day around, due to limited hours.

We had a great time on the Pearl, but rock climbing was a very small portion of the fun. Just like the bowling...good to do once, maybe twice. We did the bowling when it was 2for1, otherwise I felt it was too expensive at $7 per game. Yeah, I'm cheap, but with all the other free things I can entertain myself with, I save the $$ stuff for when I run out of things to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Some friends of ours just got off the Pearl recently (They were on the Nov 20th Departure out of Miami) and they said the climbing wall was never open. This may be due to a partial charter on their cruise.

This is heresay as I was not on the cruise and don't have any detail as to why or why not or if it was open and just not when they went to check it out.

I was also told that the water slide was not open the entire time. (This again may be due to a previous charter where they supposedly built a stage near or around where the slide is)

Hopefully someone who was on this cruise can confirm the details.

-Sean

• 1 month later...
Just off the Pearl and the climbing wall seems to be permanent closed. We were VERY disappointed

During a Q&A on the holiday cruise, I think the officers mentioned that it was in an area undergoing some construction.

(They were also in the process of moving Moderno, so there were some closed off areas. These were places where one might have expected to be able to go on both sides of the ship, but one side was closed off. We never heard any construction sounds.)

What I don't remember is whether it was going to be "back" once the changes are finished.

It wasn't clear where it "had been" (or perhaps still was, but hidden?), which seemed a bit odd.

GeezerCouple

I was also told that the water slide was not open the entire time. (This again may be due to a previous charter where they supposedly built a stage near or around where the slide is)

Hopefully someone who was on this cruise can confirm the details.

-Sean

The water slide was removed from the pearl about a year ago... Too many charters in January thru March and it took up too much room to have a proper stage near the pool.

I was just on the Pearl. The wall will be closed until March. The Captain said it is because they are installing scrubbers in the stacks to further clean what it being released. He said this is a 7 million dollar project. They also said the slide will never be put back due to the pearl being the ship for charters.

• 2 months later...

It was apparently like that for the installation of the scrubbers. I saw some moaning on the boards about the rock climbing being closed. I, for one, am glad that they are more environmentally friendly. Everything was back to normal last week.