Q: re: Luggage restrictions on Air Tahiti Nui

Hi All

Trying to make decisions on 2 people traveling with scuba gear and clothes, etc. for a back-to-back on the PG.... How should we divide up the weight to meet the restrictions and at the same time ensure that the essential items go with us rather than risk being "lost luggage"?

We have regs, gauges, and dive computers and don't break down the console for travel. I'm thinking of putting both set-ups and dive logs in a backpack (like the kids use for school) to carry-on the plane. A second backpack will contain 2 cameras (digital stills and digital video --- no underwater photographic equipment). Also, we'll have two hardsided 22" carry-ons, containing masks, toiletries, and as many clothes as possible. In addition, we're checking a large suitcase with wetsuits, fins, safety gear, snorkels, shoes, and more clothes.

Question: Air Tahiti Nui website says: "In addition to your maximum allowance, the following personal items are permitted in the cabin: Walking stick, cane or crutches, Handbag or pocket book, Small camera case or binoculars, Infant gab or baby food, Briefcase or laptop computer with case".

Anyone had any trouble carrying on a backpack as the "additional" item? (Worried about it being declared too large, or too heavy.) Do they weigh the additional item and include it in the total weight restriction? Since we will both have a 22" roller and a backpack, I just want to know if anyone has had problems with this or if we can expect to get through OK.

Thanks for your help!

I hope that a diver sees this to answer you better than I am able to. On our Air Tahiti Nui flights we have carried on bags that are near the size limit but they are soft sided and therefore have a little give when necessary to fit in the overhead bins. I've packed our prescription snorkle masks in these with t-shirts wrapped around them as padding. Our most recent flight from LAX to PPT was delayed slightly while they tried to fit all the passengers and their luggage onto the aircraft. In addition to our carry on bags I used a Totes diaper bag as my purse because I thought it was the largest "purse" I could get away with. I saw many women with much larger totes as purses who were not challenged. My husband's camera bag is a medium size camera bag. If your hard sided carry on bags fit in the overhead bins (I would check with the airline to verify this) you may have to stow your backpacks under your seat if the flight is full. Would you have enough leg room to be comfortable during the flight if this happens?

Hi! Thanks for the reply.

We are not tall and typically travel with our carry-ons in the overhead bin and backpacks under the seat. It works fine for us. It sounds like the backpacks will be ok as the "personal item".

I'm concerned about the weight restrictions. Our carry-ons, the old Samsonite Silhouette 5s, are going to weigh more than 22 lbs. I guess if they have to be checked, then that's that!

Leaving tomorrow! Can't wait!

Archived