Just Rude!!

golfb4cruzing

Many times in my life I have been approached by a sales person who wants to help me and if there is a young person who was there first, I always say, "She was here first." It's just the right thing to do.

I agree. The way to teach young people to respect others is to treat them with respect. That being said if I see an elderly person trying to get in a line, in an elevator, or trying to find a seat, especially if they're handicapped, I offer them my place. The same should be done for any person on crutches, a walker, or quad cane regardless of age. If they have an electric wheelchair you should offer them your place in the elevator, since they can't very well take the stairs, but I don't think it's a hardship for them to wait in a line.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I'm fond of the reply New Yorkers give in response to people who try to get in from of the line...as a recent example:

Last Wednesday, I was waiting on the line for a taxi outside of Grand Central Station. Two people tried to hail a cab from the back of the line. Those of us in the queue just watch in amazement. The taxi manager (I don't know the correct title, but he was employed by Grant Central and looked like an NFL Player/ Movie star) - Called out them with a loud stage voice "LADIES, WOULD YOU CARE TO JOIN THE REST OF US?"

I guess you had to be there (I didn't describe it well), but it was a New York moment. :) No one got nasty, and most enjoyed the exchange.

Cheers,

Salacia

While in Chicago on business and after going to the theatre one evening (snowing and around 25 degrees and of course windy), there were long lines waiting for cabs. We walked about 1 1/2 blocks down to a hotel and ask the Doorman (6' 5" & 240) if he would call us a cab as I handed him a $10 bill. As the cab pulled up a younger couple came running up and tried to get in the cab. He politely stuck out an arm (the size of a tree limb) in front of them and said " This is not you cab and neither will the next one be if you don't apologize!" They went stomping off down the street. The lady with us thanked him and his comment "My pleasure Ma'am as I dislike rude people.) Gotta love him!

It is not just Carnival. We have had it happen a lot on HAL and a few times on Celebrity. My personal favorite was an elderly lady (I am a senior myself) who cut in front of me at a breakfast omelet line. At the time I was the first in line and there were quite a few folks waiting patiently behind me. When the lady cut she turned to me and with a smile said, "it's Ok, I am old." I smiled right back and said, "the line for the old people is at the rear." She moved to the back and a few behind me clapped. The cook gave me a big smile as he asked for my order.

Hank

Being old is no excuse for being rude/insulting/derogatory/denigrating simply because they are Older! :( Just because we are old enough to hide our own Easter Eggs and then Hunt them. That's no excuse! :eek:

Age is no excuse on either end of life's yardstick for bad behavior. I would say whatever age you are currently, (and I'm 72) make certain you are an excellent role model and don't give anyone any ammunition at all to make generalizations about the group in which you find yourself simply because you were such a lousy example. Happy Saturday to you! :D

Which people were put off the ship? The guy who put the clothes on the floor or the husband who came in to fight for his wife? (Since my next cruise is in cabin across from the laundry room, maybe I can count on some unexpected entertainment! :))

I heard all three of them!

This may have been a cruise we were on. One of those 28-29 days ones. (since you cross the date line it makes counting days a bit confusing) Both couples were put off at the next port and if I recall it right it was near (or was) a port in the area of Bora Bora. We never knew doing your laundry could get so "heated".

Cruisin Oldies

It was the recent Crown cruise which was supposed to be 28 days but turned into 29 days when we had to turn around because of a medical emergency!

Which people were put off the ship? The guy who put the clothes on the floor or the husband who came in to fight for his wife? (Since my next cruise is in cabin across from the laundry room, maybe I can count on some unexpected entertainment! :))

I would have never thought that something like that could happen but it does make me more grateful for the Platinum laundry services.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app