Please Suggest

rako

Hi,

I am new here and taking my 2nd carnival cruise on Glory from 20-27 December.

We are 4 traveling in 2 rooms. My daughter (11) and I are in 1 room and my son(8) and my husband are in one room. Only my husband has vacation protection (thought, he might need to go oversees as his mom is sick).

Now we know for sure, he is going OO country and will not be able to make it to the cruise :(.

I read not to say anything about cancellations as it would be 200% solo fee. But my son is a minor and cannot be by himself in the room.

Should I call Carnival and move my son into my room and my husband will be get OBC for his cruise ?

Please advice.

Thanks in Advance.

Rako

It's my understanding that minors can be booked in their own cabin as long as they are next to or across the parent's cabin. I've also read that this rule has been relaxed even further, but even if it hasn't, it should be OK

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

First option: keep the 2 rooms. I'm not sure if an 8-yr old can be booked in a room by himself, even with a parent next door. I've seen rules all over the place on this issue, and I've seen many of them broken. I would call and ask about the age minimum. If it would be okay, then you should check with your insurance regarding cancelling your husband. If the reason is a covered reason, then the insurance would pick up the cancellation penalty. But there will most likely be the 200% solo supplement then added to the booking, because the penalty amount will be totally removed from your payments on the booking. I think that the son would also have to be insured for the insurance to cover that solo supplement, but again, check with your insurance on that. If it would not be covered, then you should have him be a no-show.

2nd option: cancel the husband and condense your 2 bookings into 1. Switch to a 3-person room. This advice is not often even brought up as a possibility, but friends of mine were able to do exactly this with no problem a couple years ago. However, they did it before final payment. 2 bookings in 2 rooms became 1 booking in 1 room after they cancelled 1 person. Maybe the rules got broken for my friends, maybe not. Call & ask about this possibility, because it has been done before. This would be the best route for you to go in every way, if it can still be done. Being after final payment complicates this option.

While K2 has some good thoughts. My suggestion would be to contact your insurance company to discuss the payout options amounts. Then call carnival. Everyone here can share their experience however Carnival has tightened up their rule following and yours is a unique situation. Since only hubby had insurance and not DS this may cause some issues, since only hubby's 1/2 of the cost will be refunded. So if you cancel the guys room and move your son you will still be out sons 1/2 of the original stateroom plus you will have the added cost of the third person in your room.

Since only hubby had insurance and not DS this may cause some issues, since only hubby's 1/2 of the cost will be refunded. So if you cancel the guys room and move your son you will still be out sons 1/2 of the original stateroom plus you will have the added cost of the third person in your room.

This is what I thought too, concerning my friends, who were booked Early Saver (and before final payment). I thought they would have to cancel a booking, then rebook the person who was still going, while paying the ES penalty on the person who was being cancelled out of their original room. But that's not what happened. Since that person was still going, they did not apply any cancellation penalty to the person who was still going. No penalty for the removal of the booking either. 3 people in 2 rooms became 3 people in 1 room with no Early Saver penalty or any penalty at all, because nobody was being cancelled. (There was, naturally, a penalty for the 4th person who did get cancelled.) But again, I'm not sure if this can be done after final payment without cancelling the son (penalty) & rebooking him as the 3rd person.

Edited by k2excursion

especially since you have insurance.

Cancel the one room and condense the 3 of you into one cabin.

you really do not want an 8 year old in the cabin by themselves. its a strange place and what if he wakes up at night scared.

If she is past the cancellation period, does the ship even need to know? The INSURANCE is what will pay the husbands portion...the ship has it's money and really doesn't care who shows up for the cruise....they've been paid. So, in theory, she could keep both cabins, and just let her son room with mom and daughter...the other cabin can sit empty, and no one will care.