Fluctuations in "Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses"...

ForeverAtSea

I notice that the amount showing on my Celebrity invoice for "Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses" is less now than when I originally reserved the cruise. If this amount is still lower at Final Payment, will I pay the lesser amount?

What happens if the amount goes up, and is more than what I was quoted when I booked the reservation. Will I have to pay the larger amount at Final Payment?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

This happened to us . Port fees went down prior to final payment date. I was told that my only

option was to cancel and rebook .Since the cruise price had gone up I wasn't going to do that.:rolleyes:

The price you pay is locked in and won't fluctuate up or down .

Having said this I have twice gotten small adjustments due to port fee rebates once on board .

Once it was for a missed port but I can't explain the other one.:confused:

Fees and port taxes can be in flux for any cruise. You may or may not receive a refund or you may find a credit on your final statement. You can check your onboard account at almost any time after day two and if you wish to dispute it you certainly may.

Don't forget, if you booked through a travel agent they must clear this up for you. Celebrity will not discuss this directly with you.

This happened to us . Port fees went down prior to final payment date. I was told that my only

option was to cancel and rebook .Since the cruise price had gone up I wasn't going to do that.:rolleyes:

The price you pay is locked in and won't fluctuate up or down .

Having said this I have twice gotten small adjustments due to port fee rebates once on board .

Once it was for a missed port but I can't explain the other one.:confused:

I just received a new Booking Confirmation from Celebrity and the "Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses amount is $30 less, and therefore the "Balance Due" amount is also $30 less than on my original Booking Confirmation. If I were to pay off my cruise today, are you saying that I would have to pay $30 more than what is showing on today's Booking Confirmation?

If the taxes, fees and port expenses go up in the interim, would I have to pay more at Final Payment? Has this ever happened to anyone?

I just received a new Booking Confirmation from Celebrity and the "Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses amount is $30 less, and therefore the "Balance Due" amount is also $30 less than on my original Booking Confirmation. If I were to pay off my cruise today, are you saying that I would have to pay $30 more than what is showing on today's Booking Confirmation?

If the taxes, fees and port expenses go up in the interim, would I have to pay more at Final Payment? Has this ever happened to anyone?

Good for You! :) I don't believe you will have to pay more later .My previous comment was based

on my Celebrity experience where I was explicitly told by a rep that the fees were fixed when

you book and do not change. I haven't heard otherwise or heard of pax being told to pony up more.

Yes, taxes and fees do go up and down.

If they go up before final payment date, the final payment amount will increase.

If they go down, my experience was that I paid the "original" final payment amount, and then received a credit on-board reflecting the decrease in fees.

I had one cruise where the fees went up, I paid the increased amount, and then received a refund on board after the fees went down.

Art

Fees and port taxes can be in flux for any cruise. You may or may not receive a refund or you may find a credit on your final statement. You can check your onboard account at almost any time after day two and if you wish to dispute it you certainly may.

Don't forget, if you booked through a travel agent they must clear this up for you. Celebrity will not discuss this directly with you.

I actually asked my TA about this a couple of times: I booked a group cabin rate at higher fees/taxes than current rates and asked TA if I could get the difference in obc. He said the fees were set on group rates...he could not change them. I asked again just to make sure, as other pax said cruise line credited them with OBC once on board when fees/taxes were lower. He said I should definitely check with guest services after boarding, but he could not change it on his end prior to cruise...it was locked in. That just may be his agency's policy. I'm going to check with guest services after boarding, just for the heck of it. I hope they don't tell me that they won't discuss it with me because I should have dealt with that thru TA! It's not that big a deal either way, but the difference would buy us a couple of premium drinks :)