Formal Dress Policy

droots

There are plenty of cruise lines around that do not enforce a formal dress code that you can choose, Radisson only had one formal night on a seven day cruise and not everyone was dressed formally. After being 'business-casualed' to death for the past four years, where I spent more time second guessing what my client would be wearing and how I should dress, I welcome a formal atmosphere for a change. I had a lot more respect for Cunard when I was told that wearing shorts in the dining room is not allowed. It's also a lot easier to don a dinner jacket, then trying to figure out just how resort casual is supposed to look in the evening. I think Silversea will always have a select group of passengers that look forward to getting dressed for dinner, they should stick to their original policy. There are plenty of upscale cruise lines out there with relaxed dress codes. Hey, you go on vacation for a change of atmosphere, right?

Why does it seem that so many people are calling for every cruise line to bend to their desires to become more casual? If you don't want to bring the tux, dark suit and lovely formal gowns, there are other cruise lines out there for you to try. The choices for a more formal atmosphere are growing smaller every year as Americans are becoming more and more casual/umkempt in their everyday lives. The "I want to be comfortable/I paid for this vacation and I will wear what I want" chant is becoming quite boring. Please leave at least one or two choices for those of us who prefer the old style of formal cruising. If Silversea, Seabourn and Crystal fall to the desires of the casualites, it won't be long before the entire cruise experience will be so homogenized as to look like Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

Why does it seem that so many people are calling for every cruise line to bend to their desires to become more casual? If you don't want to bring the tux, dark suit and lovely formal gowns, there are other cruise lines out there for you to try. The choices for a more formal atmosphere are growing smaller every year as Americans are becoming more and more casual/umkempt in their everyday lives. The "I want to be comfortable/I paid for this vacation and I will wear what I want" chant is becoming quite boring. Please leave at least one or two choices for those of us who prefer the old style of formal cruising. If Silversea, Seabourn and Crystal fall to the desires of the casualites, it won't be long before the entire cruise experience will be so homogenized as to look like Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

Explain why you feel that the people that want formal dress should have the choice of whom they cruise with, and why you feel the people that want INformal dress (the "so many people" you refer to) should have to cruise with the lines that are left and whom the formal dressers DON'T want to cruise with. I don't see how the logic works particularly as you say in your own note that the group that wants formal is a dieing breed. You seem to be saying you toffs should have the best and we can have the dregs!

Also casual does not mean unkempt. And some people that cruise aren't unkempt Americans.

Personally,I feel that certain cruise lines impose too many formal nights upon their passengers.

The Captain's formal welcome,and farewell,gala dinners I can understand,but for whose benefit are the additional formal nights?

These days many 5* hotels are happy with casual dress at dinner.

Perhaps I am missing something here.....don't most of the mass market lines have formal nights? Don't RSSC and SS both have formal, as well as informal and casual nights? Are you not permitted to dine "en suite" on formal nights if you choose not to don formal wear?

It seems to me the choices are as they have always been, with the exception that some lines (RSSC for one) are experimenting with eliminating the formal nights altogether on some sailings, such as the Alaska cruises.

What is the big deal!. If you choose to wear a suit instead of a tux on formal nights on SS, just be aware that you will be in the minority. On some lines, including RSSC, it is more evenly divided between suits and tuxes.

This Board was designed to provide info and help to individuals interested in cruising. A couple of these threads here lately seem to have deviated a bit from cruising topics. Perhaps it is because so few of us take the time to post on a regular basis. In any event, lets get back to cruising....

This Board was designed to provide info and help to individuals interested in cruising. A couple of these threads here lately seem to have deviated a bit from cruising topics. Perhaps it is because so few of us take the time to post on a regular basis. In any event, lets get back to cruising....

Yes I agree as well - all this daft stuff about "how to become a senior" and "why don't we re-design the boats so that the captain sits at the back" etc is off topic. Oh .... I've just seen that Meow agrees .... now I am confused! Thank you.

Actually, Seabourn now offers the Verandah cafe as an alternative to formal night, but I think most of us agree that lines such as Seabourn and Silversea distinguish themselves by retaining some of the customs of the past.

I agree with LuxLady that on lines such as SS and Seabourn, suits are most definitely in the minority, and tuxes are the norm. Frankly, I think most passengers enjoy the formality on these nights. Of course, I confess to dining ensuite on a couple of formal nights, course by course, in pajamas! Decadently wonderful!

BTW, for those who want an upscale line, with a more casual attire, SeaDream seems a perfect alternative.

Regards,

Denyse

BTW, for those who want an upscale line, with a more casual attire, SeaDream seems a perfect alternative.

Regards,

Denyse

Hi Denyse, I was pleased to see the SeaDream suggestion - and I've just had a look at their site. They do seem smaller and therefore more personal. The downside I see is the accomodation - and with no balconies - which once you've experieinced them on Silversea seems to be a minimum rec. Still - I'll carry on reading.

The real issue for cruise lines with formal is that the people that want it tend to be older - and the cruise lines - particularly the luxury ones NEED to attract the younger group with cash - and they don't want no tuxs or sequins! People that want the formal will grumble if it slowly dissapears - but it's my guess that they won't stop cruising - but the cruise lines WILL attract people that aren't currently cruising to it if they relax the rules. I don't mind a "tux and sequins" area shut off in the main restaurants from the rest of us for those that want to - just like a "smoking" area" - now what's wrong with that!?

uk

I agree with UK1 about formal wear. I am not saying that I want to see people in the restuants in short, jeans, swimwear or in brightly coloured shirts etc., but what is wrong with smart/designer casual? Some people have spent their working lives or are still working and having to wear suits every day and want more comfortable clothes on holiday.

I go on Silverseas because I like the services and comfort they offer, giving me the relaxing holiday I want on a small ship. I don't want to travel on another shipping line. I don't want to wear evening gowns in the evenings and I don't like being not allowed access to parts of the ship on formal evening because I don't want to dress up. I don't want to be forced have my dinner in my suite on every formal evening because I don't want to wear a evening dress. Why can't people be allowed to wear formal wear or if they wish - or smart casual at the same time in the restuant?

Smart/design can look just as good - sometimes better than some old moth eaten evening wear which is only taken out of the cupboard once or twice a year and is donkey years old.

Spot on. I'm prepared to eat with them - even though some feature on their tux trousers stains that could be best described as "soups that I have known" and on their ties "pasta sauces of the world" and some of those frocks could jump out of the wardrobe and walk around by themselves - so why won't they tolerate me as long as I wear my best bits. I'm street legal!

Spot on Gal - go for it. Any chance of a date? Don't tell Mrs uk1 of course ....

I have taken two SS cruises, and will be on the Whisper on 12/6. On only very few occasions have I seen an actual "evening gown". Come on now. The dress for women varies so much, its everything from a dressy (satin? silk? crepe?) pantsuit, to pants/skirt and a sparkly top, to a cocktail dress............as I have said, more men wear tuxes than not but hey - if you want to wear a dark suit, more power to you. No one is going to throw you out! Whats so hard about that???? In fact, thats the easiest for me to pack - one long skirt or pants, and two tops and sandals. Period. Flat in the suitcase, there you go.......

Actually I have noticed that Brits and other Europeans dress more formallly than Americans on these cruises. The "informal" evenings often featured many men in suits - usually the Brits and Europeans. I just think they are a bit more formal in general...........just my observations.

Hi all,

I don't see gowns for women all that frequently, so I'm not sure where that belief comes from. Sure, occasionally that happens, but it is the exception in my experience.

I find, for myself, mix and match outfits is often all I need, with perhaps one dress. As for the tux, frankly, it makes things easier for my husband to pack, as there is no ambiguity about what to select to wear for formal nights, and instead of bringing 3 suits, you just bring one. We are believers in packing light, so multi-duty clothes are preferred. Also, as we generally travel on multiple flights to most destinations (since San Francisco seems to be Timbuktu as far as the airlines are concerned!!), less luggage is definitely better.

Having said all this, it's fun to have the formal nights in between essentially more casual evenings. I don't mind dressing up a few nights, as it's not that much different from occasions at home. There are certainly alternatives for dining casually for those who would prefer to so dine, which allows everyone to be happy.

Regards,

Denyse

P.S. UK1, SeaDream is definitely smaller (it's the old Seabourn Sea Goddess ships, fully refurbished), but the service is impeccable. The line was founded by the original Seabourn owners, and they have brought service back to a level that is difficult to beat. If you can get past the lack of verandas, and the smaller bathrooms (they are noticeably smaller), it is a fabulous cruising alternative.

I was under the impression that many people went all out on formal nights, and was planning to bring a full legnth beaded gown for one of the formal nights on our November Barbados-to-Barbados cruise. (No tiaria or satin gloves, but a pretty serious dress.) Although I don't mind dressing up, I don't want to stand out. Would I be better off in black satin capris, and a metalic evening sweater with some beading? More along the lines of what I'd wear to a cocktail party? I'd appreciate any advice from previous Silversea cruisers.

JDAA, that is a very hard question to answer. I do think that full length beaded evening gowns are in the distinct minority - however, we all like to see beautifully dressed women, so I think you and your dress would be much admired. If you do stand out, it will be in a nice way - especially with your hubby in a tux.

Personally, as a retired senior, I gave up panty hose and beaded gowns many moons ago------thats why I say I dress for comfort. Really, you will see everything - the definition of "formal" is interpreted many different ways by women on SS, and further defined by the various cultures and countries represented............wear what you believe meets your definition and comfort level with "formal", and don't give it another thought.

I wore some VERY NICE dresses (in my opinion.) And there were many who did. I think, on the whole, the nature of the wear was not flashy. Perhaps because of the age of the average passenger, the formal wear was not as sexy as you'd see in other venues. A metallic sweater and long skirt would work for a formal night (again, it all depends on the outfit) -- but I could also see an outfit like this working for informal night! Though formal night wear looks nothing like Oscar night, informal wear is decidedly NOT the land-definition of informal.

What would you say the difference is between formal and informal? My initial impression was that "informal" would be what you'd see at a dressy cocktail party (street-length or tea-length cocktail dress, or dressy pants with sparkly top) and "formal" would be what you'd see at a dress ball (full-length dressy gowns). But now I'm beginning to think that "formal" is more casual than what I had originally thought--more along the lines of a rather casual full length or a cocktail-type dress or pants. So...where does that leave informal?
Is there much of a distinction between what women wear for formal vs. informal nights? If there is a distinct difference, please help me out! They're beginning to sound about the same to me.
Thank you.

I think your definition of informal is good. And, I think formal wear is more formal than informal. It runs the gamut though. Just as we're having difficulty in explaining what each term means, so do those on board. Everyone has a different definition of what is "formal" and "informal" and "casual."

So... I think whatever you wear will be fine. You will find some dressier than you (?) and some not as dressy (?) Wear what makes you feel beautiful and you'll be okay.

• 2 weeks later...
Formal in old days meant white tie, and black tie was the everyday dinner wear, but of course nobody does that nowadays. As I grew up outside USA, I might be old fashioned. Informal never meant a sport jacket. A sport jacket and no tie was considered casual. I see the definition is moving one notch lower again. Oh boy, I'm feeling old. But...it's nice sometimes to still adhere to those distinctions, though it maybe becoming makebelieve.

Just returned from the Silver Whisper.

As for formal wear, we saw a bit of everything.

For the ladies:
Long formal dresses, with and without sequins (black and other colors).
Cocktail length dresses (black and other colors).
Dressy Pant Suits and not so dressy.
Traditional dress from different countries.

For the gentlemen:
Tuxedos (black and white).
Black Suits and Ties.
Traditional dress.

So, if anyone is worried if they will fit in.....you will.

We never felt uncomfortable with anything we wore, rather it was Casual, Informal or Formal.

"Traditional dress"!?

I wore my traditional dress and people spat. I come from a very long line of "Obscurist Islanders". We wear a traditional dress made of rusty gromets and a Yale padlock to keep frisky Octegenavians out. I thought I looked debonair and ethnic. What's the difference between a twinkly sequin and a twinkly gromet? They bunged me out just the same. No sense of humous.

Things have to change.

Might I suggest a switch on the separate dining places for formal. Why not have the main dining room Formal...as it should be...and let the terrace cafe be elegant casual...this is the way it is done on Seabourn. Our society has become so casual, what is so wrong about dressing up and being a bit more special for a couple of nights in the week?

Archived