Using my phone while at sea/ports

hotpinkchica14

Hello, I know this has probably been asked a million times. I currently have an iPhone 5c with Verizon and I would like to use it while at sea and port. I just want to be able to use it for pictures and music. My question is will it work without racking up a high bill. Do I just turn off data and put it in airplane mode? Also, we have 2 stops that I believe I can turn it on for them being San Juan and St. Thomas. Am I correct in thinking that I can check email and make calls without extra fees? Any help would be grateful. TIA

I have Verizon and used it in San Juan and St. Thomas. The coverage is HORRIBLE. Barely any usage out of it but I didn't get charged anything for using it in St. Thomas or San Juan. If you find a good cafe or bar they have free wifi which is nice to take advantage of.

I would suggest turning off your data, downloading an offline map - City Guides is a great app. It's a map you can use on your phone even if it's not connected to anything. Use wifi where you can and bring a better camera than your phone if you're looking to take some good pictures.

Hope that helps!

Just set your phone to Airplane Mode and you can use it to listen to music and take pictures. With that said, I just got off the Breeze and got their Social Internet plan which lets you use iMessage (texting only, no attachments), Facebook, Instagram as well as a couple of other popular social apps. Found this to be great, I was able to post and stay in touch with family and friends for only $25 for the entire cruise. The service worked well and the speeds were extremely decent, I could post a picture within seconds to either Facebook or Instagram.

Edited by Mr305

Hello, I know this has probably been asked a million times.

Yes, it has. If you had just done a simple search you would have already had your answer. That said, the Verizon Wireless website has an interactive trip planner that can provide you with the costs associated with every port that you're going to visit. You merely plug in where you're going, what you want to do (text, call, Internet), and what device(s) you're using, and it will give you all applicable information. Here is a direct link:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

With that said, I just got off the Breeze and got their Social Internet plan which lets you use iMessage (texting only, no attachments), Facebook, Instagram as well as a couple of other popular social apps. Found this to be great, I was able to post and stay in touch with family and friends for only $25 for the entire cruise. The service worked well and the speeds were extremely decent, I could post a picture within seconds to either Facebook or Instagram.

Is "Cruise Critic" one of the allowed social sites?