Eastern Caribbean: how much booze can you bring back?

donlb

Our last cruise we thought you could only return to the US, duty free, with 2 liters per person…but we saw people with much, much more. Soooooo…… how much can you bring back with you?? Don’t want to make the same mistake again, at those prices. :)

What is allowed duty free and what people enter the US with are 2 entirely different things. My experience is that there is little enforcement of the alcohol regulations by customs officials.

I've never seen a limit of 5 liters for alcohol. The limit was 1 liter per person on our trip to NE/Canada last week on the Enchantment. (We brought home 3 between the 2 of us)

Here's a link to the horse's mouth:

http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/dutyfree_exemption.xml

I've never seen a limit of 5 liters for alcohol. The limit was 1 liter per person on our trip to NE/Canada last week on the Enchantment. (We brought home 3 between the 2 of us)

Here's a link to the horse's mouth:

http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/dutyfree_exemption.xml

What I was quoting was for the eastern Caribbean, specifically the U.S. Virgin Islands. When we went last year we bought all our booze at the duty-free K-Mart in St. Thomas (by far the cheapest spot.)

Jason was quoting from US Virgin Islands, not anyplace in the eastern Caribbean. He is also right about K-Mart, used to be the cheapest was Woolworth's but they are out of business. Everyone says St Martin is so much cheaper, but we just didn't find this the case on our cruise a couple of years ago. We like the choices in St Thomas and found the prices very similar. One thing would be a bit higher, the other a bit lower. Even if you do have to pay some duty free it is worth it compared to our US prices. Of course if you do bring back 5 or 6 bottles each your arms will have a good workout by the time you reach your front door. There have been times when we have gone over our limit and never been chargd duty. It seems to depend on customs on any given day. Often they do not want to bother for a few extra bottles or a few extra bucks. NMNIta

Looks like no real clear answer?? I guess we will take back what ever "floats our boat"....and pay the customs fee if we go over, if they ask... or care. Thanks.

My answer is correct for the Virgin Islands. On an eastern Caribbean cruise, I would buy all my liquor in St. Thomas, probably at K-Mart (certainly not at A.H. Riise as they are much more expensive.)

I was one of the "LUCKY" ones who happened to be stopped by customs in NYC while getting off a Canadian Cruise on the Serenade. I took advantage of the ship's Absolut Special, the customs officer saw my cardboard case and quickly pointed me over to the cashier. The duty was just 3 dollars per bottle. Was still a big savings even with the duty.

Looks like no real clear answer?? I guess we will take back what ever "floats our boat"....and pay the customs fee if we go over, if they ask... or care. Thanks.

copied this from a Virgin Island info site:

Citizens may bring back five fifths of liquor duty-free. An extra fifth may be taken if it is a product of the US Virgin Islands. You must be 21 years of age.

We had several more than this and voluntarily declared it, I think the duty was somewhat less than $3 per liter. Still a bargain, but it gets really difficult to manage much more than a couple of those 6 pack cardboard containers.

Dear Fellow cruisers,

I think it is up to the immigration

official checking you in.

Back many years ago, the booze

was about 40% what it cost

in the US.

Now it is not that big a bargain.

Many years ago, we bought liters

of Stoli Vodka for $5 each.

I bought six cases, which was 72

bottles.

Of course we had help getting off

the ship with this much booze,

and when the customs officers

saw our bellman, and the booze,

they asked, : "Is that all liquor?"

I said yes, they just nodded and waved

us on thru.

I think if you tell them the truth,

they do not care. If you lie and get

caught (Like Jeb Bush's wife...),

they can throw the book at you.

They fined her big time for lying...to them

about designer dresses from France.

You also might like to know that there

is only one liquor Distributor on the island,

and they set the rates, so shop til you

drop they are usually all the same, perhaps

50 cents different here and there.

Also their selections are limited.

We love Fris vodka from Denmark, and you

can not find that anywhere in the islands.

They usually carry a very limited supply

of certain liquors. Upscale items like brandy

etc. are easier to find.

My advice to you is, if you think you are getting a good

deal, buy as much as you want and tell the customs

people, they probably do not want to be bothered

by filling out all the paperwork.

Thats the way it is folks!

May your Seas be flat,

and your tummies fat....

Have fun and DO NOT worry

about all the piddley $#!t!!!