"Ocean view" cabins

LindaJ+

For a giggle:

In the old days, the inside cabins on the higher decks were strictly for the maids and valets of first class passengers travelling opposite with ocean views. Only the most wealthy first class passengers had a private verandah, everyone was satisfied with ocean view in First Class otherwise.

On HAL ships (for fun), I imagine how the cabins would be sorted by the old standards. Of course, Pinnacle and Neptune suites would be First Class. I would say Signature Suites would also be First Class, but everyone in a higher grade would look down at them and occasionally pop a monocle at dinner. Old Money, New Money, Bankers, Film Stars, Royals, and so on. Tuxedos and ball gowns all around.

Vista Suites, Verandah staterooms, and Lanai staterooms I would imagine as Second Class: Shopkeepers, teachers, merchants, solicitors, and so on.

Ocean View and Insides on lower decks I imagine filled with european immigrants, tradesmen, labourers, unfortunates, and horse thieves.

Of course, none of this is true today. We don't have dining separated by class anymore (well, Cunard does...). There are no gates or velvet ropes anymore.

I hope this gave some laughs.